Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Goal of losing 50 pounds & will power issues

Hey guys,
I am starting from scratch here. I am 5'5" and 24 years old. In recent years, I have gained around 50 pounds from a combination of bad eating habits and beginning office work around 5 years ago. There have been health problems in my family history and I do NOT want to go down that same path! I have tried to start this before but I have a big problem with will power. If I am bored, I somehow make myself think I am hungry and grab a snack. I'm not sure why I do this, but I have noticed it and it is a problem!! Does anyone have any tips? I appreciate any tips.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Hi and welcome! read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

Pick a reasonable weight loss goal per week, nothing too aggressive and food scale to get you good at eyeballing.

You can do this!!
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Hi! I'm very similar - started last week, I'm 23, 5ft 6, and want to loose 40 - 50 lbs! I've decided to try for 1lb a week, and I've started couch to 5K. I walk to work too so I'm trying to get 10,000 steps a day.

Any small change makes a difference, just start doing something active (anything!!) and log your calories.

Add me if you like on here - we can motivate each other! :p
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Joining MFP was a great choice! Logging all those little snacks will show how many extra calories you're consuming. Really an eye opener!
  • melissabrindley1
    melissabrindley1 Posts: 21 Member
    Hey! I'm also 5'5" and I'm 25 years old. My goal weight loss is 50 lbs too, so we have a lot in common. I have a huge problem with will power too (I work in a bakery.. ugh), but I always am sure to have a healthy snack as an option and I keep no unhealthy snacks in the house. That way if I do get bored and want to eat, it's not quite as bad. Just keep telling yourself "mind over matter." You literally do not need that food.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I am with you. I eat crazy stuff out of boredom like a bag of shredded cheese. I don't keep much junk food in the house because I have not learned portion control. I eat because someone else is eating which is crazy!!! I have 40 pounds to lose and would love to be on this journey with all of you!! Feel free to add me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Take up running. When your running app says you have burned 1000 calories (about seven miles for me) it will make you think twice before putting high calorie foods in your mouth. When I get serious about running and managing my calories I can lose weight reasonably fast. 50 pounds came off in less than a year. I have put about 20 back on so Monday I decided to reverse the trend and started back to daily workouts at 4:30 AM. Its a lot of work but when you lose that much it feels great. You should also focus on eating good quality foods like produce and a small portion of lean meat or fish. A side benefit for me was a drop of 50 points on my cholesterol and lower blood pressure. You can and must do this! Good luck!
  • Hguidry22
    Hguidry22 Posts: 3 Member
    You guys are all so awesome!! I know that we can all do this together :) if any of you guys have a Fitbit add me and we can do challenges together!! Hrguidry@gmail.com

This is no doubt going to be hard but I agree, this is a must and we all can accomplish this.

I also just downloaded the c25k app and am excited to start!
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    I just got a fitbit last week. Still trying to figure this out! If anyone wants to add me, I am 51 years old and have a little over 100 pounds to lose. Feel free to add me so we can work together: darlin930@hotmail.com
  • Noreen2014
    Noreen2014 Posts: 33 Member
    In the same boat ......know what to do ...now must do it !!!
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    i'm constantly working on my motivation & discipline to lose weight & get healthier. I'm currently working on mindful eating, it's a learning process :)
    All the best to everyone in their journeys
    feel free to add me if you need a friend. :)