Any other horseback riders here?

Options
Curious to see if there are any other riders (or just horse lovers in general!) on the site! Would love to share experiences, exercise tips, and all of that :)

Riding works muscles that I've found very few other exercises get to, but I've also heard that a lot of core strength and balance exercises on the ground can make you a much more effective rider, so I'm trying to incorporate more of those. Also trying to bring up my arm strength, since when my horse runs away with me, I have a hard time getting him to listen to the reins... hah!

I currently ride English and jump. I've got two horses of my own, both of which are still young-- the elder (age 4) has been started under saddle, and I'll be starting the three year old soon...

So, horse lovers, check in!

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I used to be in the BEST shape back when I rode horses. I showed them via 4H, but Western style although I initially was taught English. I seriously think I could ride a horse before I could walk hehe.

I miss riding and owning horses =( It's a dream of mine to eventually have enough property again to have a stable in the backyard. I grew up with 5 horses, huge pasture with our own outdoor arena. I was definitely spoiled lol.

I've thought about trying to just buy a horse and stable it somewhere, but that can be very expensive in it's own right.

Feel free to add me!
  • karq85
    karq85 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm a longtime rider and owner but college forced me to put horses on the backburner. I found that bareback walk/trot work with no reins gave me a ridiculous core workout.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I used to ride, and I've recently been thinking of getting back into it because I LOVED it! I rode English. I really miss being around horses...
  • etaven
    etaven Posts: 25
    Options
    KBrenOH- Adding you! I'm also going to be using my Exercise Notes to keep track of what I've done with the horses, so there will be little updates like that from me here and there... thankfully, horses seem to burn calories in a plethora of ways! (Riding... trekking across 16 acres to get them... chasing them when they run off down the driveway... hah!)

I can't remember a time when I didn't love horses; I remember begging for a pony as a kid at every chance I got. Finally got my gelding 3 years ago, though I'd worked with him from before that. They're such wonderful creatures! And addicting to be around!

I hear you on the costs. I'm lucky in that my friend and I rent a field for our horses and another girl's for a really good price. Don't have much in the way of stalls and we had to put together a makeshift ring, but it saves money versus a big fancy barn. My filly hurt herself pretty badly in February, though, and those vet bills were way scary. I love the beasts so much, but don't love those costs, that's for sure!
  • etaven
    Options
    karq85- Bareback is definitely a fantastic workout! I've been a little more hesitant to ride that way lately, as I broke my foot while riding my gelding bareback back in September. (Deer jumped out and spooked him.)

Seajolly- Definitely find a way to get back into it! So much fun, and it has so many benefits... not the least of which are the mental relaxation and happiness that horses seem to bring about :)
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am psyched to find a bunch of other horse people. I have 3!!! It is so funny though because even if I ride all three of them each day- I usually don't log it as exercise because I think of it as fun. hmm- although half the time if I do a huge ride I can't even walk the next day because it is so much work bossing a 2000 pound warmblood aorund!
  • kels67
    kels67 Posts: 41
    Options
    Going to ride tonight. I ride hunter/jumpers! I have been riding on and off since i was 12. Divorce put it to the back burner. It is an awesome full body work out. My trainer has us do lesson with no stirrups, you talk about a great thigh/leg work out. Feel free to ad me!
  • etaven
    Options
    Yay, more riders! :)

emilydmac, I definitely see a difference in my body riding versus not, so to me it's definitely good exercise! And as kels67 pointed out, especially that no-stirrup work, lol...

My two are draft crosses, so I hear you on the 2000 pound comment, lol! Can be a challenge to get them to listen well sometimes :)