No $ for new clothes... grin and bear it?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I don't have $ to buy new clothes whenever they become too big... do I grin and bear it and wait until they're literally falling off my butt and a belt won't even keep them up, looking frumpy and lazy? That seems to be my only choice being that the goodwills/salvation army's in the area seem to really only have clothes from like... the 80's-90's.... Thats no good either

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    What about having a clothing shop with friends that are a similar size to your current size? You don't even need to trade permanently. You could all just swap some items for a month or so just for a little variety in your wardrobes! Do you have any friends that are around your size?
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I hear you!!!! its hard.....I had a friend stop over last night and she brought me a bunch of stuff and I am extremely greatful for her kindness!!!! Clearance racks....I got 3 pairs of capris, 5 tops, and a sweater for 30 bucks....

I know its hard but shop around you can probably find a few things...I bought a pair of black and cream colour capris as I can wear them with everything!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    So far I'm grinning and bearing.
    Occassionally I will buy a new top or bottom as I go - however I have a uniform for work so it doesnt effect work wardrobe TOO badly... I just look sloppy at work haha
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Careful or you'll be grinning and "baring"! :bigsmile: I know a lady whose pants fell to her ankles at work because they were too big. I didn't know her at the time, but the story is legendary. :laugh:

Laughing aside, I feel your pain. I keep hoping I'll find a treasure at Goodwill. I've found a few things at nice consignment shops that are getting me through. Good luck!
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can but be careful wearing clothes that are too lose, you may become over-comfortable and allow yourself to slip up too often.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through..I have been really bargin hunting if you have a kohls near by they have great deal with their coupons and so does Jc Penny .... ..I have found Goodwill is more expensive..(at least where I live it is)
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i trade in old clothes for new clothes at second hand stores. around here we have platos closet and branded and you can go there with old (oversized) gentle worn clothes and get cash or store credit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A needle and thread is not that expensive. Just take them in a bit until you reach your goal.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    try freecycle
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yard sales would be your best bet.
  • kitcatnik
    kitcatnik Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you have a JC Penny's near by? I shop the clearance area and use a $10 off $50 coupon and can usually get a few outfits for my $40. Got a very cute summer dress for $1.97. Crazy. Don't buy a whole lot of stuff since you'll just be passing through that size on your way down but you should have some cloths that fit. Feeling good about yourself is important. Also you might see if any friends have anyone who has lost or gained weight that might be in the same boat and willing to trade of give away some stuff that is the size you need now.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores? Yard sales?
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    If you don't sew, learn! Thread is pretty cheap! Taking in your clothes can buy some time until you are ready to get new clothes. Check the clearance racks everywhere, I love the 80% racks at Kohl's! Try the thrift stores! Our local ones have 50% off sales all the time! You can get nice stuff for a couple $$ and help those in need also.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Kohls is usually great but recently it's really just teens clothes or "old lady" clothes on the clearance racks. I'm 24, I don't want to look like I'm trying to be younger or older. Problem with them is, I can never find long pants in the store.
    JCPenny... havent been there in years, I'll have to check it out!
  • kitcatnik
    kitcatnik Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cheap long jeans the spot is Wal mart. I'm 5'11 and all legs they aren't always my most favorite pair in the closet but at least I don't look like i'm waiting for a flood and it's summer so capri's are another option.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    I agree with the clothes exchange with friends. You may even be able to start one on craigslist with others in your same situation. Also, marshalls (and i think ross) have layaway. this might help with having clothing available in the future. with such reasonable prices you may be able to keep up with your weightloss as you approach your goal.

congrats on your weightloss!
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    See if there is a consignment shop in your area that will take clothes as trade instead of cash. I'm not sure if they're only local but there's a chain here called Plato's Closet that does that and their selection is much more stylish than your average thrift store. I haven't been in awhile but I believe they gave you something like 40-50% in trade and of course since its a consignement store the clothes are also quite inexpensive.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I feel your pain for wanting cheap, quality clothes. Personally, I'm addicted to retail but rarely pay full price for anything. My key to finding cheap, quality clothes: shop all the time! From your profile, I can tell you're a busy mom so this may not be appropriate for you, but I shop frequently. I set my budget before I go in and refuse to pay for a top/pants until they're within my budget. Right now, New York & Co, Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic should be having some sort of clearance sales. I've literally found 100 dollar dresses for 15-20 bucks and my favorite khakis for 10. Don't assume that the typically more expensive stores won't have clearance sales. Just watch them like a hawk and hit when it's hot. If you shop frequently (whether buying all the time or not), you'll eventually hit the major sales.

Best of luck!

J
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    This may sound stupid but look at good will, or used clothing atore, theres a lot of times I have found clothes there with the original tags still on. Or u can put money away as u lose weight as a goal. Another choice is if u know anyone thats good wuth a sewing machine have them take them in.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Kohls and JcPenney's clearance racks are a very cheap way to get clothes. Also there is a store here called Platos Closet and there are good deals in there. Yard sales are another great option. Or if you cant sew, most places take pants in at a reasonable cost.