Macros - Confused pls help

Options
Hi Guys, im still getting around MFP but just need someone to explain a few things pls;
1. Do you set your own macros if so how do you know what to set them at?
2 . I have a Mii band which google fit syncs to MFP, do you eat back the exercise cals or not? Can i leave them if i dont want to use them?
Thank u xx

Replies

• nbradford75
    nbradford75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't set my own macros but I think if you pay for the subscription you can.
    You don't have to eat back the exercise calories, but depending on how much you're burning you might need to. The app is calculating the calorie deficit you need to reach you're weight loss goals safely. If you consistently net significantly less than what is recommended you might burn more muscle than fat. I'm no expert but I've been dieting for a long time and people are always telling me you have to eat to lose weight.
    Good luck!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    kajalpoit wrote: »
    Hi Guys, im still getting around MFP but just need someone to explain a few things pls;
    1. Do you set your own macros if so how do you know what to set them at?
    2 . I have a Mii band which google fit syncs to MFP, do you eat back the exercise cals or not? Can i leave them if i dont want to use them?
    Thank u xx

For weight loss, macros are not important. If you are lifting weights or have a specific fitness goal in mind then eat at least .8 grams of protein per every lb of body weight and .4 grams per lb of body weight, the rest can go to carbs or more fat or protein. You can change your macros to what fits you, and NO you do not have to pay for the premium subscription to change your macros.

Eating back your exercise calories all depends on what your calorie goal is and what you have your activity settings set to (ie sedentary, lightly active etc). No matter what you need to make sure you net at least 1200 calories, so that might require you to eat back some of your exercise calories, but not all. A lot of people on the forum will eat back only a certain percentage 25-50%, I personally eat them all because I know I don't over estimate how much I burn at the gym (many people do and then complain about gaining weight).
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Options
    Thank you guys for your help and advice,makes sense to me now xx
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use macros from this guy's formula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cc18wLJW3k