Vacation meal planning preparations and recommendations

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I don't diet on vacation. It's a vacation, after all.

Then again, I always tend to lose weight on vacation anyway. Probably because I'm so much more active when I travel than I am sitting around at my desk job at home. I tend to walk a *lot* when I travel, sightseeing, exploring, hiking and just getting around. I also usually backpack and use public transit to explore places. I'm not exactly the all-inclusive beach vacation or cruise type of traveller. Your mileage may vary.

(The trouble for me was always that I'd go away for a couple of weeks, come home having lost a few pounds, and then promptly gain them back again. Now I think I have the skills to avoid doing that and to keep the weight off.)

Anyway, I think this article is a bit silly. You can practice the same moderation skills on vacation as you do at home,, sure. But part of the fun of travel is also to relax a bit, sample the local food and drink, and chill out. Obsessing over calories on vacation is kind of beside the point.

Also, don't try tip #4 at restaurants outside the US. In most places in the world, it's not very classy -- or acceptable -- to pepper your waiter with questions about how a food is prepared, or to ask for substitutions or special requests.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    On my 3-week June holiday, I took a diet break. I intended to eat EVERYTHING! But interestingly, I couldn't do it.

First stop was a Krispy Kreme donut place. Last time I was there my husband and I got a dozen donuts and each ate 6 in one sitting. This time we got a half-dozen, and I struggled to eat 3 over 2 days. Way too sweet!

A little later, I got a bag of dill pickle chips (not available where I live), and intended to eat 2 or 3 bags of them during the holiday. I could barely manage the 1 bag ... way too salty!

A little later, I ordered a plate of poutine ... couldn't finish it.

I found myself eating salads, veggies, yogurt, chicken ... the things I'm used to eating now. I did treat myself, of course ... one Tim Hortons donut a day (less sweet than those Krispy Kreme things), small desserts with my meals, etc., DQ ice creams several times ... but generally speaking, I didn't go overboard. I had no desire to go crazy.

Plus ... I exercised a whole lot more than usual. In those 3 weeks, I cycled a lot, including riding a century (100 miles in one day) + lots of walking, including a 9 km hike to the top of a mountain + sea kayaking for the first time in my life.

All up, I gained 2 kg ... but lost it within about 2 weeks. :)

I'm planning to do something similar over Christmas. I'm taking about a 2-week diet break and intending to eat EVERYTHING! But I know I probably won't end up going too crazy ... I just can't do it anymore! :grin: