Gym Etiquette - Let's set a good example!

Options
13»

Replies

• Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The person talking on the CELL phone, NEXT to you, speaking LOUDLY, in SPANISH....the ENTIRE time you are next to them..
    and for some reason, this same person always ends up next to me...and I am in the middle of working out so I don't want to get off the machine (I like doing 45 min on the elliptical).

ok, rant over. :)
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    The person who uses several equipment at once, ie: you see them stop using one and start using something else for a while. You go to use previous equipment and you get told they're still using it :/ Luckily I haven't come across this much but my bf has.

More recently; the new guys who come to the gym, do a couple sets, pop out the back door (right near where people workout) as a group for a cigarette with the smoke wafting in, then come back in to do another few sets. That's happened once and if they're doing it again while I'm there I'm complaining! I don't want my lungs filled with smoke really.

I go between 2 machines. It's called compound workouts. I hate when people dont pay attention or ask, they see you using a machine, you finish your rep and walk away and they assume you are done. How about ask? I don't just jump on any machine if I just saw someone on it. I ask first :)

I seriously don't understand this logic? Why would I need to ask to use a machine thats empty??? Yes you just got done with it and walked away... all clear signs that you are no longer using it. If you're not using it then why couldn't someone else jump on and do their sets while you're doing your other exercises. I think it's a little much to assume that just because your sweat is still on the machine and you didn't wipe it off means that it's still yours, I could just assume you're one of the none-sweat wipers lol. I think the people doing more advanced workouts should be a little courteous to those who are just starting out and are focused on only doing one exercise at a time. Don't want to discourage those who are just starting out ya know?
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How about those people who subscribe to the "I don't know" method of weight training. It goes something like this:

Random dude sitting on/standing near a piece of equipment I want to use. I politely ask how many more sets he has and random dude says "I don't know". I mean, really? You have no freaking clue how long you're going to be using that? Really?

I hate that guy!!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    1. People who sit on the weight machines and talk to their friends or play with their music while I am waiting to use that particular machine. I only have an hour to workout because I have to leave so I try to make the best of it. They are just hogging the machine.

2. People who stop and want to talk to me while I am working out. I try not to make eye contact so they will keep walking but it doesnt work. I have had a man stop and talk to me for 15 minutes while I was trying to go hard on the eliptical. I kept trying to make hints like..."well it was good talkin to ya"....and he will go on and on....ahhhhh!!!

3. Men who try and hook up while I am focusing on working out....dude....do I LOOK like I am thinkin about you!!! Gosh!!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    How about those people who subscribe to the "I don't know" method of weight training. It goes something like this:

Random dude sitting on/standing near a piece of equipment I want to use. I politely ask how many more sets he has and random dude says "I don't know". I mean, really? You have no freaking clue how long you're going to be using that? Really?

I hate that guy!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too Funny!!!
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options

3. Men who try and hook up while I am focusing on working out....dude....do I LOOK like I am thinkin about you!!! Gosh!!

AhHahahahaha! That cracked me up!
  • PMWiggi
    PMWiggi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Pet peeve #1! I go to a gym that is large enough to not need to put time limits on machines so that's not a problem (at least not when I go). I usually go during the middle of the day when everyone else is at work. It's good to be Queen! LOL

But, I LOVE spin classes. I go 5-7 days/week. I always ride the same bike (if it's available) and I ride hard no matter what the instructor is saying! I'm well known for riding like the wind at high resistance. So tell me, why on earth is Barbie and Stephie talking for 45-60 minutes non-stop! Even when the instructor loudly annouces, "if you can talk, you're not working hard enough." Even when the instructor got off her bike and went to stand between the two talkers, they continued to yap!

Now this takes talent, spin rooms are loud because the music is blasting. The instructors use microphones to talk on top of the music so I SHOULD NOT hear your conversation about the hot boy you sat next to in math class this morning. If you needed to talk, you should have stayed in the locker room where nobody cares too much! This isn't a Sunday ride in the park, this is SPIN people! We sweat and breathe hard in here!

Oooooooh, I just hate that!
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    OMG I was so bugged at the gym today too.

PLEASE guys, do NOT stare at the ladies - especially when they are doing squats, it's creepy and YES we know you're gawking.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The people that don't clean off their machines are definitely the worst.

I always wipe mine down BEFORE and AFTER, just to make sure.

Another thing that irks me at my gym, is when I go into a tanning bed, and it clearly has NOT been cleaned. GROSS.
    Everyone knows to wipe them before and after you use them, but still, be courteous and wipe it after you sweat all over the damn glass.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    The people that don't clean off their machines are definitely the worst.

I always wipe mine down BEFORE and AFTER, just to make sure.

Another thing that irks me at my gym, is when I go into a tanning bed, and it clearly has NOT been cleaned. GROSS.
    Everyone knows to wipe them before and after you use them, but still, be courteous and wipe it after you sweat all over the damn glass.

Dirty tanning beds just scream MRSA infection risk to me :ohwell:
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    I extremely dislike the people that don't clean up after themselfs, oh and the people who just sit/stand there for 30 minutes when they know you are waiting to use what they are. If they are going to use it, USE IT, if not, then move on!