Is this realistic?

Options
I just posted my signature with goals and was wondering if everyone who has done this for a while thing these are realistic or should I change them to about 5-7 a month. Right now (after looking at other goals met out there) I am aiming for 10 pounds a month.

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it may be realistic, but as you near your goal your loss will most likely slow down so dont be hard on yourself if you don't keep reaching hte goal
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    You practically have the same goals as me!! It is achievable but what exactly are you doing to achieve them? How many Calories a day? and are you on an exercise regiment?
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well, it sort of depends on your weight right now.
    I would say it might be sort of unrealistic...the max this site allows for in your goals is two pounds a week... but you know yourself best, and if you think you can do it, chase your dreams!
  • tuffie565
    tuffie565 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am doing around the 1200 calories a day and just started exercising again. I did about 25 minutes on the elliptical today and might do some more tonight. Trying to do the 30 minutes 3 times a week like the advised.
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster who said that it would be possible in the beginning, but the closer you get to your goal the harder it will become. I am currently within 10 pounds of my goal weight and I'm lucky if I see a .5 loss in a week....lately it's been more like .5 every week and a half to two weeks, and I am pretty nuts about my food and I workout 6 days a week, both cardio and strength. It's fine to have those goals as long as you realize they might need to change as you get closer to your GW.
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    It's definitely realistic! Eat your minimum allowed calories and try not to eat back your calories (unless you're genuinely hungry). Good luck!
  • Harrar10
    Options
    I am doing around the 1200 calories a day and just started exercising again. I did about 25 minutes on the elliptical today and might do some more tonight. Trying to do the 30 minutes 3 times a week like the advised.

Try not to overwork yourself you will burn out faster and not want to continue exercising because you start off too fast. I have learned that! Just do the 30 minutes 3 times a week and separate the days like do it mon wed fri and take off the rest of the week. Once you have done a few weeks try to increase your exercise time or add another day to the week. Also try to cut out fats and watch sodium. Just because something is low in calories doesn't mean its necessarily good for you. Log in your exercise and try not to eat back the calories you have burned. If you set your mind to this you can achieve it!! Even if it takes a little longer than your goal, just keep at it!!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It's doable, but I'd honestly stretch it out another month or two, because once you get near goal weight, it's going to be a pain the *kitten*.
  • jewade
    jewade Posts: 1
    Options
    It is realistic, because it requires us to pay attention to the amount of calories we consume. We for me has been a lifestyle change.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    Better to aim high and fail, I say because I know you wont give up. Therefor you will not fail. I am doing 8 pounds a month as a goal.
  • kathy1117
    kathy1117 Posts: 27
    Options
    im sure at 1st u may hit those goals. ive always found that starting a diet, and losing weight occurs early in the diet. whn u get 2 the end of the diet is whn it seems harder, i guess its less weight u have 2 lose or something. idk. i have 4 lbs 2 lose and i just feel like in the beginning it was easier, and tougher now
  • Harrar10
    Options
    Better to aim high and fail, I say because I know you wont give up. Therefor you will not fail. I am doing 8 pounds a month as a goal.

Thats the only way to do it!! Aim high!!!
  • tuffie565
    Options
    What about using diet aids like alli?
  • tuffie565
    Options
    I just posted my signature with goals and was wondering if everyone who has done this for a while thing these are realistic or should I change them to about 5-7 a month. Right now (after looking at other goals met out there) I am aiming for 10 pounds a month.

That about using diet aids like alli?
  • tuffie565
    Options

What about using diet aids like alli?
  • Harrar10
    Options
    I use Alli. I believe it is working for me but if you use it you need to make sure you cut out fats and eat less than 15 grams per meal. It is not that hard I do it everyday! A lot of people have side effects but I think its primarily because they are not following a diet that is supposed to be used with the weight loss pill.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

I've heard it causes some very undesirable side effects (*cough* anal leakage *cough*) if you eat any fats. I also remember seeing something about the FDA looking into it, so I'd stay away and just do it the natural way.
  • Harrar10
    Options

I've heard it causes some very undesirable side effects (*cough* anal leakage *cough*) if you eat any fats. I also remember seeing something about the FDA looking into it, so I'd stay away and just do it the natural way.

I take alli and do not suffer from any side effects. I think word of mouth gets muffled through translation and if you eat a ton of fats than of course expect bad results! That is why with alli there is a recommended diet and includes eating less than 15 grams of fat per meal.
  • Kamioh30
    Kamioh30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is definately do-able. Not that I'm advocating for NOT exercising, but without exercise my husband and I have been doing MFP for a little over a month and he's lost 38 pounds and I've lost 21 pounds. I've done the grueling workouts and reverted back to my old ways. When I stop losing with just the dietary changes I will crawl back humbly to exercise, but for now I'm losing and loving it at 1400 calories a day
  • Harrar10
    Options
    This is definately do-able. Not that I'm advocating for NOT exercising, but without exercise my husband and I have been doing MFP for a little over a month and he's lost 38 pounds and I've lost 21 pounds. I've done the grueling workouts and reverted back to my old ways. When I stop losing with just the dietary changes I will crawl back humbly to exercise, but for now I'm losing and loving it at 1400 calories a day

You lost 21lbs in a month? I am confused..