Fibre ?!

Options
So fibre has always been a problem for me. I avoid breads and limit my carbs but I'm wondering how to amp up the fibre in my diet.
Do you take any supplements to add fibre or are there any fibre rich foods that you love?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are great for fibre. I have a protein powder which had iron and fibre. I have a great whole wheat pancake mix that's high in fibre. Veggies are helpful. There are plenty of options. Unless there are medical concerns, there is no need to lower carbs though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't avoid bread or limit carbs - no medical issues for me. I want my diet (while losing weight) to closely resemble my diet while maintaining. Lifestyle changes for me.

Anyway, whole grains, whole fruits and veggies help me meet my fiber goals without supplements. Psyllium husk gets recommended a lot here. Just be careful not to up your fiber too fast or you could have tummy issues. There are also 2 types of fiber (each with different benefits)....ideally you want both soluble & insoluble.

One fiber additive causes issues for me - chicory root (or inulin)....I avoid Fiber One bars and Chobani 100 because of this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    oats and other whole grains, legumes, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, veggies, fruit...

one problem nutritionally speaking with low carb diets is that they tend to be lacking in fiber...cuz carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The only Fiber you want is soluble fiber. Inulin is great. You can buy it as powder, or as a chewable gummy. 4 to 5 grams a day is plenty. This will feed the good bacteria in your gut! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are my main source of fibre.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I struggle to get enough fiber & have always been "irregular". I try different ways to get more fiber into my diet, but it doesn't significantly change the 'outcome', even with 40g fiber a day.

Im still trying though...on somedays i add a LiquidFiber supplement. Ive also been eating FiberOne 90-calorie trests. Foods that seem to help and add fiber:
    Chia seeds, lentils, fruits, chickpeas, etc. These are the ones I prefer
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Flaxmeal.
    Just as much fiber as one of those fiber powder supplements and a heap of a lot healthier with omega 3's and some protein.
    For dinner I'm having lentil soup over barley. I might regret this much fiber.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Flaxmeal.
    Just as much fiber as one of those fiber powder supplements and a heap of a lot healthier with omega 3's and some protein.

Yep! I'd try the natural foods route before the powdered fibre supplements.

Also, if you're having toilet troubles.. A good probiotic along with extra fibre can make a big difference.
  • TraceyKakes
    TraceyKakes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Flaxmeal.

Haha that last part made me laugh.
    Any tips on how to prepare the flax meal?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Veggies veggies veggies! I rarely go under my fiber goal. Spinach onion and mushroom omelet for breakgast; a big salad mad with napa cabbage and lettuce mix for lunch, and a green veggie like asparagus, zucchini, or green beans for dinner. . .
  • rachellcs12
    rachellcs12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually end up with 35-70 grams of fiber per day with no difficulty...fruits and veggies, chia and flax seeds, beans, etc. get me to my goal very quickly! Feel free to add me and check out my diary.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If I remember right the foods I eat that are richest in fibre are lentils, tofu, and fresh snap peas.

The snap peas are my favorite snack, so I eat a LOT of them. I easily eat twice the MFP recommended daily fibre.