Shin splint? Stress fracture? PA bursitis?

Options
Wish I knew if this is what's bothering my right shin/calf area not even a Dr could tell me exrays showed nothing bone (didn't do the MRI $$) ..the painfull area in 3-4 inches from my knee on the inside, most painfull when my toes are pushing off or standing up when running the pain worsens sometimes it radiate down the bone some times my calf hurts but the main spot pretty much stays the same......wish I could get back to training it's killing me

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A fracture would be visible in x-rays. If you have not been to a sports dr, do show. If you have and the recommendation was an MRI, then you might have no choice if you want a diagnosis. And definitely rest completely for now, which means also no running.
    From your description, my completely amateur-ish and very probably wrong diagnosis would be tenonditis. And the treatment starts with complete rest. For several weeks :(
  • morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went to a sports dr, Stress fractures do not show on regular exrays I was told to rest I have its not better and I'm not sold on it being a stress fracture from the symptoms I've read and it seems like a shin splints but in an untypical spot possible pes anserine bursitis because that's the spot it radiate from but the additional syptoms don't fit that...not running at all I'm ok with resting/healing just frustrated that I have no clue
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue back in June. Very painful to the point where I could barely walk after a run. I had X-Ray and MRI done. Turned out to be over training. I stopped running for about 3 weeks and slowly got back into it. I have not had an issue since (and my mileage is back to where it was before the injury).

If there's no obvious damage, try resting it for a couple weeks. Allow it to heal. Icing it a couple times a day my also be helpful.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My very severe stress fx showed up on xray.
    The pain was severe and located pretty locally, it was not diffuse. There was heat in the area and some swelling. It was in my tibia, and the main symptoms were localized pain, severe, and pain when I went from running to walking...that was agonizing.
    Sports med doc gave me heck for being on a hot leg, and I wore a boot for several months. Realistically, should have had surgery but I didn't wanna...not really a good excuse!