Are home workouts as effective as the gym?

Options
I really don't want to break my bank paying a gym membership until I know I'm completely into the exercise life. I want to workout at home to save money, plus im always living in different locations.
Are home workouts effective? Is there any which anyone can reccommend? Or general home workout advice?

Replies

• pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube will give you a great workout or Zumba videos on YouTube as well. Fitstar is another thing that will have you sweating. If you don't mind running there are also couch to 5km running apps that will get you in shape.

You can definitely work out just as hard at home you just have to find ways to do so :)
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definitely...they're just as effective (if not more IMO because of the convenience) as gym workouts! I'm not a fan of getting sweaty and breathing heavy in front of complete strangers, either!! You may need to purchase or make some homemade equipment eventually...but you can lose weight by just using your own body weight! I LOVE www.zuzkalight.com!!!! She has beginner workouts, no equipment workouts, etc...you name it, she's got it!!! I have been working out with her for a month and have lost almost 2" around my waist!!!! They are intense but short workouts that are very effective. She does require a monthly membership, but it's worth the 10$ a month!!!!!!!! www.fitnessblender.com is another great site and it's free if you'd rather not pay for a membership.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There are many people on MFP that have lost weight without ever stepping into a gym. Key to losing weight is getting your calories on track, start there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you are on the fence about exercise, going to a gym might give the motivation, paving, and workout skills you need to stick with it at home long term. A class could be really good for you for awhile . Although it's "possible " to work just as hard st home, I think it's really hard for someone who is new to exercise and/or doesn't love it.
  • eat4dathealth
    eat4dathealth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In the past I lost 50 lbs doing a mix of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, P90x, Pilates, and Zumba. Walmart and Amazon have a huge amount of exercise vids that are nice and cheap and give you some variety when working out at home. I suggest getting cardio and at least some strength training in. I have a few sets of dumb bells that are different weights. There are also different vids up on Youtube by people like Blogilates. In my experience, as long as you are dedicated to making a change, and can keep yourself motivated, working out at home is fine, and convenient.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your self motivation and determination. Working out at home can save the commuting time plus you can workout in several small spurts as in 10-15 minutes at a time throughout the day which wouldn't be something you'd go to the gym for. You are limited to workouts where you don't need a spotter unless you have a Soloflex or Smith Machine or something that will let you push heavy weights with no chance of serious injury from dropping it. I use free weights for most things, and the Soloflex for bench presses and heavy squats. Not quite as good as a gym, but it works better for my schedule being able to work out from home.
    If you don't have the self control to make yourself do it and stick to it, though, then a gym may be your best option and there may be some point where you are lifting heavy enough that you'll want to be at a gym to have a spotter or if you want a personal trainer to guide you in your goals.
    Regardless of whether you work out at home or at a gym, bad form is the cause of most injuries. It's more important to lift less and do it with the right form than to focus on increasing the weight with bad form and end up hurting yourself.
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym because I know as soon as I get home I don't want to do anything, so I walk there after work monday, wednesday, friday. It's only an extra 30 minutes walking to my day, if i went home first it would be an hour walking there and back!

If you know you're motivated enough at home - go for it! But I'm not, so I've worked around that.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    in the 2+ years that I have been exercising and losing weight I haven't stepped foot into a gym to workout. Running, walking, circut training, weights and HIIT don't need a gym.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've never been in a gym and lost 100+ lbs. I have a 5 acre property and walk with my dogs for at least half an hour a day, most days more like 45 mins up and down hills. This summer literally the only thing I did was cut the grass with a push mower. I was using resistance bands but I just started doing this one

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/8-week-muscle-building-bodyweight-workout
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I believe so :) I went to the local Y, but found that I didn't like working out in a gym environment. For me, working out at home is more convenient because I can do it in the morning when I don't want to go anywhere. Having the motivation to work out is definitely something that can be a struggle at the beginning though.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    You get out of a work what you put into it. The actual site of the workout is not relevant.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't they be?
  • roadrunner432
    roadrunner432 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please add me