Bad luck with illness' and injuries

Options
Hello, I just would like to know if any of you have any tips to avoid illness and injuries?
I am a dancer and would consider my self as genuinely fit and healthy. I make sure I eat well, I exercise a lot due to my dancing, I go to the gym, drink lots of water, I try and get a decent amount of sleep each night, I don't drink often at all ..
But I seem to get a stream of bad luck each year that gets in the way of dance opportunities. For example I have I have missed 4 major opportunities in the last 3 months because in that time I have had a really nasty virus where I was in bed for weeks and weeks really poorly, then straight after that I put my neck out quite badly and am still suffering with the injury.
My chiropractor has suggested getting sports massages more frequently. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do to avoid this happening each year/ speeding up illness'/ injuries recovering as I seem to be knocked out for a massive amount of time with it all! When I get ill I get really poorly.

I take cod liver oil , multi vitamin and iron tablets.
Any other suggests on supplements or ideas to try?

Thank you X

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you're not against it, get the flu shot.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands. Flu shot and take Vitamin C.
  • jademarriott94
    jademarriott94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    If you're not against it, get the flu shot.
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Wash your hands. Flu shot and take Vitamin C.

Yes that is definitely one which I'll start doing next year, around September time as it all starts to go down hill usually around October!

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do you have good bed pillows? Could your neck pain be from spending weeks in bed prior?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Drop the iron supplement. Your multi has all the iron you need. Iron can be toxic in larger amounts. Why the cod liver oil? Consider fish oil instead.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Drop the iron supplement. Your multi has all the iron you need. Iron can be toxic in larger amounts. Why the cod liver oil? Consider fish oil instead.

Do you know how many mg her iron supplement has? Do you know if she's deficient in iron? Don't try to scare her.

OP take your iron if you need it, nothing wrong with cod liver oil either.
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the sports massage, if you're working your body hard you need to look after it
  • 2failure
    2failure Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat should be able to strengthen your immune system. Ever since I started incorporating 4-5 cups of fruit(mango, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries) into my diet I have yet to get sick. Knock on wood. Side note: make emoji for knock on wood. Anyways yeah I think it's the antioxidants That do the work on your immunity. Always hit your MICROS for this one. But if you want to go the easy route(YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY) look up jerry ward aka bios3 training on YouTube, he takes a supplement in the morning that he says is the reason he hasn't gotten sick in a very long time. I forgot the name. But I find him the best personality and most intelligent person when it comes to fitness vloggers.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Work on mobility.
  • jademarriott94
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Do you know how many mg her iron supplement has? Do you know if she's deficient in iron? Don't try to scare her.

OP take your iron if you need it, nothing wrong with cod liver oil either.

Yes I am naturally iron deficient, and with recent blood tests my iron is on the lower scale of average even with taking both of those tablets x
  • jademarriott94
    Options
    2failure wrote: »
    Everything you eat should be able to strengthen your immune system. Ever since I started incorporating 4-5 cups of fruit(mango, pineapple, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries) into my diet I have yet to get sick. Knock on wood. Side note: make emoji for knock on wood. Anyways yeah I think it's the antioxidants That do the work on your immunity. Always hit your MICROS for this one. But if you want to go the easy route(YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY) look up jerry ward aka bios3 training on YouTube, he takes a supplement in the morning that he says is the reason he hasn't gotten sick in a very long time. I forgot the name. But I find him the best personality and most intelligent person when it comes to fitness vloggers.

Not fussed about having the easy route, just wanting to eliminate this each year. I pay close attention in eating well and looking after my body and it just seems to get run down quite often.

Thank you I'll take a look!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soap and water and hand drying.
    I come into close contact with lots of people. I keep my hands away from my face and wash them with soap and water throughout the day.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You could also keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer on hand to use after you have been in public areas around that time of year. Keeping your hands clean is #1 in keeping getting sick. September is when all the kids go back to school and then share all the germs and bring it home to the parents. So by October, the parents are sick and its in the office buildings, subways, etc. Happens every year here around that time, especially if you have kids. We have been sick non-stop with colds straight through oct-nov topped off with a stomach bug. Seems to have stopped for now. As for immune support, I just get everyone the flu shot, we start handing out the omega 3/C vitamins and hope the kids don't lick other kids toys too much at daycare... Some years are worse than others.