Counting Veggies

Options
Hi guys and gal,

I'm wondering if it's worth tracking veggies that I have daily? With them being so low in calories etc........I haven't been thus far but Im worried I could be making a mistake

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Veggies have calories but if you are not reaching your goal then I would start counting them.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I count everything, including condiments...you wouldn't think so, but veggies add up fast too! And yes, you can gain weight eating too many veggies, unfortunately!
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I count everything yep. Veggies, condiments, everything.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You are! If you eat it log it. There are SEVERAL days a week where I eat 1-400 calories worth of vegetables....thats a lot not to log.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Track everything. More accuracy is always better.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, I count it. So basically everything except water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I kept a diary, I loosely logged my veggies...meaning I did track them, but didn't overly concern myself about weighing every little cucumber slice on my salad, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would log them. I don't always weigh them but I do account for them in some way, such as by quick adding 50-100 calories to my log. Yesterday I had a big salad at lunch and the total for the lettuce (3 cups/85 g), cucumber (87 g), and tomatoes (94 g) was 53 calories. Not a huge number of calories but enough that it could make a difference if I were to leave that off several times a day/week.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you log them in your food diary, your body is logging them.

It is imperative that you know how much you're eating, otherwise what's the point of even logging in the first place?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It depends. In my opinion you should no matter what because vegetables are not free foods. Accurate logging helps develop better habits. However, if you have more weight to lose, you have a greater margin of error to play with so not logging vegetables won't have as much of an influence. As you lose weight, your margin of error becomes smaller and you may eventually stall due to the inaccuracy of your logging.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Veggies are food too! I say count them! :) Plus then you can track other micronutrients as well! Veggies are loaded with 'em!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Yup, if I consume it, I log it. :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I kept a diary, I loosely logged my veggies...meaning I did track them, but didn't overly concern myself about weighing every little cucumber slice on my salad, etc.

I have to add that I'm more comfortable with eyeballing my veggies than anything else. I used to eat salad from a salad bar for lunch just about everyday. I would log every veggie in the salad, but it was always a guesstimate.
  • shut_up_legs
    shut_up_legs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I log my veg but usually estimate amount rather than faff about weighing/measuring
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you're counting calories, then yes - count everything.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. If I didn't count veggies, I'd miss easily 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories!

For example, my breakfast omelet yesterday had 150 g onion (60 cal), 80 g spinach (30 cal) and 100 g mushrooms (32). That's 122 calories that I would have missed if I didn't log veggies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I definitely count vegetables, because when I am logging I want an accurate calorie count and I also like seeing how many I ate and what I really ate in a day as it's incentive to eat more or a greater variety if I happen to be low for a day or two. It's also good to be accurate so you can see what's really going on if one day is harder than usual -- maybe you notice you were eating fewer vegetables.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to and lost quite a bit of weight anyways, but as my weight has come down I've started to plateau and now I've started logging my vegetables to be more accurate.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I don't log them, but knocked 450 calls off my daily goal to take that into account. I eat lots of little bit of veg, maybe 10 different types if I make a curry or stir fry and I honestly can't be bothered logging a huge list of tiny amounts every meal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I log everything. It's not just the calories that you're missing in your diary, it's the macros too, Vit A, C, Fibre, protein, carbs etc