Snack after a workout?

Options
What's the best snack after a workout? I did 2 different workouts today - both light. I just got home from the gym, so I had a piece of oat/honey/grain bread and peanut butter. Is this sufficient?

Replies

• cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    you should eat carbs before a workout and protein after
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think thats fine. From what I understand you need a good protien and carb. But thats only for recovery so you wont be sore. If your workout is light you might not even need that
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    good question... been wondering that myself sometimes.

i often hear a fruit like an apple, maybe with a lil peanut butter or A granola bar

Other ideas would be good to know too...
  • Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    Basically what Cowpacino said. About an hour (maybe half an hour) before a workout you want something that is mostly carbs and afterward you want to avoid the carbs and go for anything with high protein. It's really up to you. I usually eat fruit before working out and a protein shake afterward, but it's completely up to you.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a serving of almonds with 1/2 a serving of either raisins or craisins. I've heard that chocolate milk is an ideal post workout snack, I have that sometimes. Sometimes I have a greek yogurt. Whatever it is I try & make sure that it's high in protein.
  • monicae43
    monicae43 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with having protein after a workout and a small portion of carbs before a workout.
    A good protein to have after a workout is 5 egg whites. Only 75 calories.
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I heard that one of the best times to "absorb" nutrients was after a workout...so that's usually when I take my vitamins, or eat something like a tomato. Yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, or almonds would be good for protein.
  • Lucindaq
    Lucindaq Posts: 25
    Options
    any of the larabars
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I guess before a wotkout it depends on what time it is. If I work out in the am I do not eat before I workout because your metabolism will go up having nothing in your stomach however after a workout I like to have a protein shake or protein bar like a Larabar or Thinkthin. Those are derived from all natural ingredients. Another thing I like is the trader joes plain greek yogurt with cinnamon. The yogurt has tons of protein in it and tastes delicious with cinnamon.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually do a fat free yogurt about 45 minutes before, and a string cheese or an Apex protein cooke right after. If I'm going straight home to eat, though, I don't always have a post workout snack. You SHOULD have some form of protein within 25-30 minutes of lifting weights, particularly.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I do a protein shake after weight training whether I am hungry or not. After cardio, if I am hungry I try to eat some carb and protein together. Today , I had cottage cheese and grapes. Sometimes I do peanut butter and crackers, chocolate milk, or an orange or strawberries and almonds. I try to stay away from junky stuff post workout though, kind of seems counterproductive.
  • jackevie829
    Options
    My cousin who is a personal trainer says chocolate milk is one of the best post-workout snacks. He says it has the perfect combo of carbs, fat, and protein! :)
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    My cousin who is a personal trainer says chocolate milk is one of the best post-workout snacks. He says it has the perfect combo of carbs, fat, and protein! :)

This is what I read as well. The optimum carb to protein post workout ratio is 4:1.
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/chocolate-milk-refuels-muscles-after-workout

You don't really need eat anything before a workout. The weakness feeling when working out on an empty stomach is just in your head unless you are glycogen depleted. I used to worry about eating something before working out until I learned about fasted training.