Burned out trying to lose weight

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here but I've been logging my food for a while now. I started my journey at 270 lbs. I lost 50 pounds through healthy eating but I've slowly started to regain the weight. Today I'm at 225 and have recently been a little higher - losing and regaining about 8 pounds. This is not only frustrating but has become upsetting. I've been trying to lose weight and keep it off for maybe 7 or 8 years now. I successfully lost weight once and was happy, but it didn't last. I gained it all back and more. Before that I had lost 30 pounds and also regained weight. I'm officially burned out because of this weight loss rollercoaster I've been on. It's really getting to me and I don't how much failure I can take.

I've researched different methods of exercise - Pilates, Barre, strength training, Fitness Blender videos, yoga - but there's always something I can't do: not strong enough, bad knees, etc. Also, there is always some reason I can't (or won't) exercise: too tired and 'not in the mood' are big ones.

I don't want to give up but it's looking like the best option right now. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Do you own and regularly use a food scale? If the answer is no, try that first.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited December 2015
    Pick any of those exercises and do the parts that you CAN do. And work up to the parts you can't currently do (or skip them if they're injury related). It's normal not to be able to do a new exercise right off the hop. Very normal. Try to lose weight slowly... 1 lb a week is enough. It's still downward (even 0.5 lb a week is downward)! That way hopefully you won't stress out too much. It might be a little frustrating sometimes how slow it seems, but just remember that statistically, slower weight loss is more likely to stick since you have a long time to hammer in those good habits.

Also, don't avoid every treat food. You can eat 80-85% healthy and still have room for the foods you love - as long as you plan for them. And you'll still be eating healthier than a lot of people by doing that.

I agree with using a food scale to measure your portions. It makes it a lot easier to be more accurate with your logging. And they're only $10 - $15 online.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited December 2015
    What will happen if you give up? Nothing good! I would suggest you need to start thinking about this journey in a more positive, STRONG light....I understand you are tired, and frustrated...but this is a forever thing, your body...and you ARE WORTH IT! Time to get your head on straight, stop making excuses, and take this weightloss thing by the horns...YOU CAN! As above, go get yourself a little digital food scale...you can find them at Walmart for 15 bux....I've heard Amazon has them cheap too! Then, start logging everything you put into your mouth, and start moving your body more. STICK TO THE PLAN. It works!! If you have a "bad" day, put it behind you, and don't let it turn into a bad month. Today is the first day of your new success, if you really want it! xoxo

Feel free to add me if you like, I'd love to help you if I can!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    We have all been there once, twice, hundreds of times. I don't have the perfect answer. You did it before you can certainly do it again!! Don't beat yourself up this journey is HARD. I have also gained and lost and gained and am still trying to lose. We can't give up nor can we make excuses!!! Walking is good exercise! You don't have to be a fitness guru just get moving. You don't even have to exercise to lose weight. Make mini goals towards your ultimate goal and maybe that will keep you motivated, I make excuses all the time and it has gotten me nowhere. I want to lose 40 pounds and I have made up in my mind that this is last time I am starting over and I have to stick with it. Am i going to have bad sometimes, yep but i am still going to keep going. That swim suit and those shorts are calling my name. Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want me along on your journey!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    What if you changed your goal to "eat well for life"? The scale is a cruel taskmaster, and often does not reflect our hard work. It goes up and down based on water weight fluctuations and only the average result over months gives a decent picture of what's really going on.

What if you rephrased your weight loss story to having successfully lost the weight several times? This means you are good at it and you know what to do.

Even though I've lost a lot of weight by reducing calories, my fitness goals are my favourite thing because the "rewards" are so much more tangible than the almighty scale. Like being able to run to the store. With my legs, not the car. Again, rephrasing your plans to the things you can do instead of the things holding you back can flip your ambition back to hopefulness. I am in my fifties with bad knees and a belly that gets in the way during yoga. I get good advice, do my stretches and strengthening exercises, modify moves as necessary, and do all the things. Modified.

I'd like your opinion of this blog post, if you are so inclined.

http://www.drsharma.ca/running-down-the-up-escalator

I find Dr. Sharma to be sympathetic to the dieter's dilemma. His sympathy made me braver.
  • tar284811
    tar284811 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for all the replies everyone!

P.s. - jgnatca, I completely agree with your opinion. Thanks for sharing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    What if you changed your goal to "eat well for life"?

exactly this...

I know "lifestyle change" is cliche and honestly kind of annoying...but that truly clicked for me when I started looking at this from a life perspective and a wellness perspective and changed my mindset from the scale to actually eating for health and wellness...same for exercise.

For a long time now, my goals haven't revolved around some arbitrary number on the scale but rather being as healthy and fit as I can possibly be. My goals are to live a long and healthy life and to watch my boys grow into men and travel the world with my wife when I retire rather than being laid up or sick or worse when I'm 60+.

I eat and I exercise towards those goals...having lost 40 Lbs in the process has been a fantastic bi-product of good livin'
  • wannalookbest
    wannalookbest Posts: 14 Member
    I totally understand your frustration with the gaining and then losing yo-yo that you have experienced. I suggest that you use MFP to analyze your eating patterns and the types of food that you eat at certain times of the day. This method helped me to realize that I was wanting to eat certain kinds of foods at certain "periods" of stress in my life.
    Also, you need to find out why you feel moody or tired when it comes time for you to exercise. It might be as simple as something that you are eating messing with you or even lack of good sleep.
    Best of luck to you.
  • BarbaraRoseB
    BarbaraRoseB Posts: 9 Member
    If the exercise programs you listed are too hard for you, why not start with something simple -- walking! -- and build up slowly. The important thing is to be active. Stretching is also very important. If you start a walking program, you will gradually find you have more energy and want to do more. If the weather prevents you from walking outside, try "mall walking." Many people do this, and some malls even have special early hours for people who just want to do mall walking, rather than shopping. The most important thing is to do SOMETHING and to do it regularly. It isn't that the walking will burn huge amounts of calories, but it helps your metabolism and will make you feel better. It has many other benefits, too.
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Try Shakeology. I have been using Shakeology for just under 60 days, I feel great, don't crave the foods that are not good for us. I also cut bread and pasta out of my meals. I am continuing to loose weight and feel great. I have a friend who introduced me to it as well, she has lost almost 40 pounds, and reduced her insulin intake by 1/2.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 819 Member
    Congratulations on your original loss!!! For a different perspective, instead of focusing on weight loss, change it to improving long-term health through small steps. Go for a walk, do wall- pushups, brush and floss before bed, try to move around the house continuously for 10 minutes puttering a couple times a day, choose to drink a glass of water instead of a soda, leave 2 bites of the junk food on the plate, or try to log honestly for a week without changing anything to get a real perspective of how much and what you are eating. These small changes will start making an impact over time and will lead to other positive steps. Try not to focus so much on the scale, but rather on other indicators, how your clothes fit, walking up the flight of stairs without getting winded,etc
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    too tired = have you had blood tests done recently? I had that for a while, turned out to be an iron deficiency.
    Consider opening up your diary so we can see what your caloric intake/foods are.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    sugom2 wrote: »
    Try Shakeology. I have been using Shakeology for just under 60 days, I feel great, don't crave the foods that are not good for us. I also cut bread and pasta out of my meals. I am continuing to loose weight and feel great. I have a friend who introduced me to it as well, she has lost almost 40 pounds, and reduced her insulin intake by 1/2.

Don't waste your money...
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member

No.... Don't do this. It's just another scam quick fix and as soon as you stop you will put it all back on.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    This article was linked by an MFP member, SideSteel, who is a mod on the Eat, Train, Progress community here and also hosts the ETP Facebook page. It may help you think through your frustration and help you figure out how to make a more lasting change/mindset. It's pretty good. I only read it yesterday, but it mirrored pretty much what happened to me; and I found the "weightloss ride" to be exhilarating and freeing--not a burden or nightmare. I wish you the best in your journey and hope this helps.

Finding Your Why
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    You can do this - you have proved that you can. I'm new here but have spent a lot of time reading the advice. The constant theme here is success is a given if you log your food and eat within your calorie limits. What is so cool is that it's not all that complicated. And when you reach your goal, you will still have as much support as you need to keep the weight off. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me.
  • dinmaris7
    dinmaris7 Posts: 5 Member
    I agree with what many folks on here have posted. I went from 290 to 207 in about 8 months...I have since come back up to 240. But...I can now bench press double what I could when I was 207...and can run a mile in under 10 minutes. Unthinkable before! Weight, strength, a healthy cardiovascular system, and general good health are not always tied together. I know skinny people who've had heart attacks, and heavy people who lived to be 90. You have to find what is making you feel better, both physically and mentally, and do that activity.

Everyone has a niche. I like to visit the gym twice a week, and walk around the farms near my home on a regular basis with my wife and kids. I like to eat whole wheat bread, real butter, whole cheese, have a glass of milk straight from a cow, enjoy a steak on weekends...and then temper that while I'm at my office with protein shake lunches, hard boiled eggs, avocados, fresh fruit, veggies with Hummus...it's what works for me. Just keep your chin up and find your niche...what makes you feel healthy?
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Shakeology is not a scam. It is a way of healthy eating. Have you tried it and failed? Is that why you feel it is a scam?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Shakeology is not a scam. It is a way of healthy eating. Have you tried it and failed? Is that why you feel it is a scam?

LOL!!!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member

Your "friend" who lost 40 pounds isn't also selling you the shakes and trying to make you a consultant is she? Have you hosted a party for her yet? Shared your FB friends to have a FB party for her? Bought crappy samples as stocking stuffers?

Be careful - that kind of support will turn you into the next tier in her pyramid. Then, like all good "work from home" opportunities and "own your own business while helping TRANSFORM LIVES OMG!!!" you can take to the hills of FB and MFP the tales of your success and "opportunities" for self employment and the life changing experience that shakeology was.

It's a scam. I bet you are not loosing any faster than anyone else eating the same calories and at the same weight / activity level.

It doesn't make you loose weight. It's not a program. It's a low cal meal that basically forces you into a deficit since you are practically eating 1 meal less. That's probably about 200-300 calories you are shaving off. Any protein shake will do the same thing.