What do you do to distract yourself from eating?

Options
Sometimes I try to read a book or watch tv when I feel like I want to eat something. Does anybody else have any helpful ideas of ways to occupy time so you can't over eat?

Replies

• sandra4444
    sandra4444 Posts: 10
    Options
    I clean like a machine!:smile:
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i sew...... if i read i am tempted to munch.

go for a walk..... clean!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth! This is a tip I got from WW years ago and it really works for me.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go get on the scales! :) That usually does it! Then, I go stand, move, and sway while watching TV.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep my hands and mind busy... I enjoy listening to music while doing puzzles or sewing.... Find something that keeps your hands and mind busy so you don't think about food.

Cleaning, dusting, organizing... etc are examples of keeping your hands busy....

Hope this helps...
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Watching TV gives me the munchies hard core. I really gotta do something with my hands to get my mind off of wanting to eat. I try to work on any number of my art projects I've got going on.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Exercise! Even if I'm hungry, if I exercise the hunger goes away. I usually do some exercise at home after I get home from work and before I eat dinner (sometimes not until 7:00 PM) and I'm never as hungry afterward. Even just a short walk helps!:)
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth! This is a tip I got from WW years ago and it really works for me.

That's a good one!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    -Drive
    -Go on Facebook/the internet
    - Drink water
    - Sleep
    - Talk with family or friends
    - Walk
    - MFP
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat many small meals - so I'm not starving and then reaching for anything. I also put the laptop on my lap when I'm on the couch and get on Fitnesspal and surf through the community comments - it takes time up versus just watching tv and mindlessly eating. It's too much of a hassle to set it down and go to the kitchen - seems to be working.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    drink water, clean, come on here, go on a walk, garden, chew gum.
  • burgie03
    burgie03 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great tip. Thanks, I'm sitting here thinking about ginger snaps!
  • la_traviesa36013
    Options
    brushing your teeth when your bored and want something to eat is a great idea. i just started doing this when i get bored and want some sugar :) it works so well.
  • DeKreyzisfitness
    Options
    Chew sugar free gum, or go for a walk.... sometimes I even take a nap. lol