Needing help

Options
New to this I am over 55 and struggling to get the weight off. I joined a gym that's a first step but with no family in the area for support it is hard. Hoping I will find support here from you all that have taking that for reality step and can offer words of wisdom and hope

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It really is do-able. It took me around 7 months to lose my weight. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • spsprd
    spsprd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Calculate how many calories you need to eat each day in order to lose the weight. Stick with that calorie budget. You can't NOT lose weight. I let go of around 900 calories per day of mindless snacking (plus a cup of granola at breakfast). I make sure there's room for a treat at the end of every day, as that helps me say no to all the treats throughout the day. If I have a huge craving, I will indulge it a little. At Thanksgiving I ate everything I wanted - but had serious carb withdrawal for a few days following. It is easier for me to stick to carb substitutes.

Maybe the main bits of advice would be: make these changes sustainable, something you can do for the rest of your life. And don't lose sight of the big picture: this is a marathon, not a 100-yard dash.

There are lots of websites out there with fabulous recipes and nutritional information. I cook two entrees each weekend and carry my lunch with a piece of fruit. (62 yo female, started at 165 on 9/11/15, now at 137)
  • marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You need friends on MFP. Start logging your food and try to stay within your allotted calories. Feel free to add me for encouragement and I need the same. It's not easy, but you can do this. If I can do it, anyone can. But it's a journey and lifestyle, not just a diet. You are worth the effort!
  • tlonganeck
    tlonganeck Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of advise. And thanks so much for reminding me it is NOT the 100 yard dash. Big Picture, Big picture. This will be what I say last thing at night to myself and first thing in the morning. Big thanks to all that have welcomed me in.. I really needed this!!
  • normandale357
    normandale357 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just remember it's each day by its self. One at a time.