Waffles- Healthy ways to make them

Options
2»

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you only have one waffle-eater, the remainder of a batch freezes just fine. I individually sandwich bag them, then store in a big Ziploc in the freezer. Toast on 1 or 2 from frozen and it's nearly as good as fresh.

If you want to make a double batch on the weekend and have waffles all week, do it as two separate batches of batter.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    We've been making waffles this way for 3 generations (no joke, the 4th generation is learning them now):

2 c whole wheat flour
    1/3 c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 Tb baking powder
    1/3 c powdered milk
    2 c water
    3 T oil
    3 medium eggs

You can increase or decrease the water to desired thickness (the thinner the batter, the lighter/thinner the waffle)
    We then have our waffles with cheese (2 sections of waffle with 1 oz cheese between, like a sandwich) before having any with syrup. Or, top them with fruit and some whipped cream - the kind in the can is quite low calorie.

The whole wheat flour gives them a really hearty taste, plus vitamins and fiber you wouldn't find in white. We are lucky enough to be able to grind our own wheat, so it's even better!
  • oceansfar7
    oceansfar7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wonderful recipes. I will try all of these. And pick my favorite. ;-) thanks