Very sleepy after weight lifting

Options
Hey! Anyone else experiences this? I think I get enough sleep , haven't notice any change in my sleeping pattern; however, lately I get very sleepy after weight training. I do eat before and after so I don't understand what's going on!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Your body is asking for REST. Not uncommon. Watch kids play hard, then later take a nap in the car on the way home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    After work outs I sleep like a baby lol. Love it but it is hard on my husband because he could barely get me to wake up.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your body is asking for REST. Not uncommon. Watch kids play hard, then later take a nap in the car on the way home.

This. Elliott Hulse explains more:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=mH7iCGDKdq0
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm..nope. I usually lift after a 8-10 hour work day so I'm a bit tired as it is, but lifting definitely doesn't make me sleepy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel like that is after training days that fry my nervous system. Most of the time I can go to work after and be full of energy.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That's normal. Lifting is taxing.

Eat more carbs maybe?

When do you workout?
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post with you, OP. The last few weeks, I've been having one particularly hard day at the gym and I always end up taking a nap after.

Glad I'm not the only one!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I always get tired after I eat regardless of how hard I work out. When you ingest food you stimulate the digestion process and more blood flows to your gut. The body has to expend resources to digest what you just put in it but at the same time is trying to focus on repairing the damage you caused by stressing your muscles and cardiovascular systems. If you don't already have a glut of energy to draw from for these processes, your body has to draw it from somewhere or shut something down to compensate, thus you're sleepy because the body wants to hibernate to do some internal work. Your energy stores are just low and need to be replenished. I know my body wants to shut down after a hard workout, especially after I eat.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been experiencing this lately. I don't know why. I've been lifting since the summer but have been getting really tired lately. I also have 2 small kids that interupt my sleep but I think I've been more tired on lifting days.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    Yes, I've been experiencing this lately. I don't know why. I've been lifting since the summer but have been getting really tired lately. I also have 2 small kids that interupt my sleep but I think I've been more tired on lifting days.

It could be that your fat stores are getting lower so you body has less reserves to draw from for energy and repair.
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

It could be that your fat stores are getting lower so you body has less reserves to draw from for energy and repair.

Makes sense!
  • BonyCastro
    Options

Me too! Let me clarify I'm not lifting at night time, this is happening in the middle of day after sleeping 6 to 8 hours (I believe) i have been lifting for 5 months and this is been happening for the last month or so. I just hope this is not a sign of over training.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it could indeed be a sign of over training. Would it work for you to take a couple rest days just in case? I know personally I would rather prevent a big set back by taking a break, than to ignore a signal my body is sending me and be forced into more time off. If you usually do have one or two rest days, then increase by one extra day this week and see if that helps. Maybe those muscles need more fuel which is also an idea. You could try eating 1-200 more calories per day and see if that helps!
  • BonyCastro
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    I think it could indeed be a sign of over training. Would it work for you to take a couple rest days just in case? I know personally I would rather prevent a big set back by taking a break, than to ignore a signal my body is sending me and be forced into more time off. If you usually do have one or two rest days, then increase by one extra day this week and see if that helps. Maybe those muscles need more fuel which is also an idea. You could try eating 1-200 more calories per day and see if that helps!

Thanks! I'm very stubborn when it comes to resting. I train 6 days a week, however today I rested since I'm very sore and started to get concer with the possibility of over training.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Wouldn't that be limited to eating at a deficit, or do you think that would be the case in maintenance as well?

• wilsoncl6
    Options

Wouldn't that be limited to eating at a deficit, or do you think that would be the case in maintenance as well?

I would figure that could happen in maintenance as well. It all depends on energy expenditure on a day to day basis. Even in maintenance, it is unlikely that you will always eat, exercise, live and breath exactly the same each and every day. Even in maintenance, you are constantly making adjustments.