Nutrients and macros

Options
I am 5"6' and currently 157lbs. My goal is around 140lbs. I am new to MFP and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the nutrients and macros. In order to be most successful and lose weight should I pay close attention to the breakdown or is it okay if I just shoot for the calorie goal?

Replies

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Start with the calorie goal given.
    What is your activity level set to? Light, moderate, highly active?
    Carefully log your food.
    Log any exercise you do that is beyond your activity level setting, and eat back some of those calories at least.
    This is a starting point! You can adjust after a week or two!
  • emily_zotti
    emily_zotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Carefully log your food.
    Log any exercise you do that is beyond your activity level setting, and eat back some of those calories at least.

My activity level is set to active, I work out about 6 days a week and am on my feet the entire time while at work. Should I log all of my exercise if my activity level is already set to active?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Carefully log your food.

My activity level is set to active, I work out about 6 days a week and am on my feet the entire time while at work. Should I log all of my exercise if my activity level is already set to active?
    Yes. Your "active" setting accounts for your regular daily activity, and is accounted for in the calorie goal given to you. When you exercise beyond that and log it, you should eat at least some of those calories back.

• mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would stick to calorie goals unless you have someone figure out your macro needs precisely. There's a lot of "macro calculators" out there and the majority of the time they are not accurate.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6' and currently 157lbs. My goal is around 140lbs. I am new to MFP and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the nutrients and macros. In order to be most successful and lose weight should I pay close attention to the breakdown or is it okay if I just shoot for the calorie goal?

Here's a great post to read (first post in this thread) about setting your calories and macros: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets