Hot sauce help!

Options
Hey everyone,

I love hot sauce. I use a lot of sriracha and Frank's red hot sauce buffalo wing sauce etc...
I love the flavour that hot sauce adds but the sodium content is sky high and my body doesn't react well when I consume lots of sodium.

Do you have any recommendations of low sodium hot sauces that are flavourful still?

Replies

• steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Spur Tree Jamacian hot sauce ( Scotch Bonnets and little else). Habenaro grinders from the super market ( Habs and nothing else). Read labels is your best defence with sodium.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You could use a pepper extract sauce like Dave's Insanity. These are used in drops not shakes.

Or cut fresh or frozen peppers into your food. I grow my own peppers and freeze them. When I want to use them I cut them with scissors and try to cut pieces as thin as possible. Sometimes scraping more than cutting. Thin cuts provide more bits to be stirred in. The frozen peppers provide the same heat and flavor as fresh peppers.

However fresh or frozen peppers do not provide the same umami as a good hot sauce. Another option is to make your own hot sauce so you can control the sodium.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would compare labels in the store, get your best bet, and then look at trying to make your own "copycat" without the sodium. I personally don't worry about it as my overall sodium is low enough that any hot sauce will not affect me in the least! Look at the overall numbers and not just one item.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Look at the overall numbers and not just one item.

Yeah, weekly context is way more important than some particular f00d.

Anyways, you could add potassium via "Nu Salt" which is sort of sodium's antithesis. In my understanding, it's the ratio of sodium/potassium that's important, and it's easy for your intake to be over-weighted towards sodium.