Machines vs free weights

Options
Hi,
I have just rejoined a gym after doing boxing for a few months and as part of joining they give you a resistance training program. For this I'm in a circuit room with all machines not the weights room.
After reading some of the boards here that talk about lifting weights it seems as those machines and free weights are quite different things but was hoping someone could clarify what the real difference is and benefits of both?
I have quite strong leg muscles but my arm muscles could definitely be better so I'm wondering if that might be the reason I'm on machines as I do find the arm machines give me pretty dead arms the next day.
Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There have been lots of discussions explaining the differences and benefits, so i suggest searching the forum. The general consensus is that most people should include at least some freeweights (or cable machines) for each muscle group.
    As far as your "dead arms", you might be doing a little too much too soon. Machines do tend to work the target muscles a bit harder than freeweights, due to the more focused movement.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The big difference is that machines have a fixed movement path and 'assist' in controlling the weight. Even cable machines do to some extent. That means you don't work the muscles you'd use to stabilize free weights. You get more bang for your buck with free weights.

Another difference is that many machines are designed for 'average' sized people, meaning that if you're fairly tall, or as in my case fairly short, you won't be able to set the equipment properly and might hurt yourself. You also can't modify machine exercises like you can free weights. You're limited to the machines movements.

That said, machines still work so long as you continue to progress just like free weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I teach all clients free weights. People that RELY on machines are limited in exercising, if that machine isn't available to them to use.
    With free weights (with a couple of exceptions like squatting or overhead pressing) you really don't need much to get a good workout but the weights themselves. And unlike machines, you have so many more variations that you can do.
    There is a place for machines in anyone's work out (lying leg curls are my favorite here), but learning free weights allow you to do any body part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    sineadc94 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just rejoined a gym after doing boxing for a few months and as part of joining they give you a resistance training program. For this I'm in a circuit room with all machines not the weights room.
    After reading some of the boards here that talk about lifting weights it seems as those machines and free weights are quite different things but was hoping someone could clarify what the real difference is and benefits of both?
    I have quite strong leg muscles but my arm muscles could definitely be better so I'm wondering if that might be the reason I'm on machines as I do find the arm machines give me pretty dead arms the next day.
    Thanks!

You'll usually get the standard answer that free weights are automatically superior and that your entire weight training routine should be based around barbell and dumbbell movements only. Although it's true that your program should ultimately use free weights as the underlying foundation, weight machines most definitely have their place as well. There's no need to think of this as a strict choice between "free weights vs. machines", as both tools are useful in your overall program and serve their own unique functions.

Free weights can be used for a lot of your basic core movements such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows, chins and overhead presses, while machines can help you perform movements that are more difficult (or impossible) to duplicate using standard free weights, such as pulldowns, leg presses, machine calf raises, pressdowns and other cable exercises. The main reason why free weights are generally recommended over machines is because they allow you to move through a more natural range of motion. This forces you to recruit more stabilizer muscles and it also reduces your chances of injury since your body is not stuck on a fixed plane of movement.

You certainly don't NEED machines in order to get an effective and well rounded workout, but if you do have access to them then there are several machine exercises that are definitely worth utilizing. When it all comes down to it, any exercises that places your muscles under tension and allows for progressive overload over time is going to produce muscle growth. Are machines effective for building muscle? The answer is most definitely yes.

Again, it doesn't have to be an issue of "free weights or machines", and your overall routine will contain a mixture of both. Don't make the error of thinking that free weights are somehow vastly superior to machines or that your routine should contain free weight exercises only, as both tools are useful in the overall picture. The bottom line here is that muscle growth is an adaptive response to stress as the muscles are placed under progressively greater levels of tension over time.

For that reason, ANY tool, whether it’s a barbell, dumbbell, cable or machine, will be an effective means of producing muscle hypertrophy.
  • sineadc94
    sineadc94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! It's definitely a lot clearer now and will get into free weights too. Luckily I think I'm a pretty average sized person so the machines fit ok but free weights sound like they have some massive benefits.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Everytime I use machines for more than a month my shoulders hurt so I stick to dumbbells and believe I'm getting as good or better of a workout.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Like what was mentioned before, machines limit the range of motion and focuses the exertion specifically on certain muscles. Free weights have the advantage of not only utilizing the muscle for the specific exercise by taxing connective and controlling muscles because they are being used also. Machines are good because they force you to use the proper form but bad because they don't use as much muscle fibers in the exercise. Free weights are good because they force you to use more muscles (thus more calories burned and more exertion) but may not be as effective dependent upon your form. There are benefits to be had from both so it won't hurt to include both in your routines, as well as utilizing barbell exercises. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life as well as the gym.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wish the local Y had the same attitude towards free weights. They trainers refuse to help people with free weights.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I wish the local Y had the same attitude towards free weights. They trainers refuse to help people with free weights.

Really? The trainers at my Y have their clients doing a wide variety of exercises. I rarely see them utilizing only machines. Sounds like your trainers are either lazy and don't want to have to show their clients good form or so scared of liability that they shy away from using free weights. Maybe you should go to another Y.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Meh. People will see gains and improvements from both. For advanced users, free weights add a layer of complexity and freedom from the set forms and motions.

Do whatever you can do consistently
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jay_upi wrote: »
    Again, it doesn't have to be an issue of "free weights or machines", and your overall routine will contain a mixture of both.

^^ This
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    machines have their place and i use them readily...but IMO, they are inferior to free weights as the foundation of your routine. They lock you into a range of motion that is not necessarily natural and they also give you an assist and you don't work your smaller stabilizing muscles they way you would with free weights. I find machines to be beneficial for some assistance work and isolation work.

that said, using machines for your resistance training is superior to no resistance training...so work with what you have, be consistent, and always challenge yourself.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Machines are safer, but free weights work more muscles at once. Do some of each.