How to stick to it and not fail.

Options
I find everytime I start eating well working out I fall back to old ways. How can I start off again but this time succeed?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Make sure that your goals are not too aggressive. What do you mean by "eating well?" I eat at a calorie deficit and fit in some small treats each day. This helps me stay on track because I don't feel as if any foods are off limits. That doesn't work for everyone. What is the common theme when you fall into your old ways? Are you trying to change too much at once? Are you making some foods forbidden and then you give in once craving them and then give up? Are you lazy at heart (I am)?

Start by logging what you are eating in a day now. Make small sustainable changes based on what keeps you feeling full, and what helps fuel your workouts. Be patient, and be consistent.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Make sure that your goals are not too aggressive. What do you mean by "eating well?" I eat at a calorie deficit and fit in some small treats each day. This helps me stay on track because I don't feel as if any foods are off limits. That doesn't work for everyone. What is the common theme when you fall into your old ways? Are you trying to change too much at once? Are you making some foods forbidden and then you give in once craving them and then give up? Are you lazy at heart (I am)?

Start by logging what you are eating in a day now. Make small sustainable changes based on what keeps you feeling full, and what helps fuel your workouts. Be patient, and be consistent.

Only thing i stay completely away from now is the soda because i know i cannot be reasonable. I litterally just ate my days allowance of calories in one meal (too busy at work to eat all day :( )
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Only thing i stay completely away from now is the soda because i know i cannot be reasonable. I litterally just ate my days allowance of calories in one meal (too busy at work to eat all day :( )

I have never been one for soda. Salt and vinegar potato chips though? I could eat a big bag in a single sitting and growl at anyone who tried touching them. They don't fit into my goals, so I don't keep them around, but if I really wanted some, I would. It is certainly easier to limit access to these things, but I have slowly added some things that I used to get out of control with (cereal, ice cream).
  • matheson_ashley
    matheson_ashley Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I find once I start logging I almost get obsessive about food. When I can eat next. How many calories. And am always starving.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I find once I start logging I almost get obsessive about food. When I can eat next. How many calories. And am always starving.

Your goal might be too aggressive. What is your daily calorie goal? How much do you have to lose? How fast did you tell the program you want to lose? The 2lb/week is not for everyone. Consider that this next 6 months are going to pass anyway, which would you prefer: restrict, lose fast, get hungry, overeat, give up, repeat, finish 6 months right where you started (except likely more frustrated) OR lose more slowly, but overall trend continues down in a manner which is sustainable, so you are lighter, and feel better. I'm not saying these are the only two options, but they are the more common ways this plays out.

I feel hungry occasionally, but not to the point of being obsessive about it. Some foods are more filling than others, and will help you feel full longer. Proteins and fats are filling. If you need volume for lower calories, veggies are great.
  • matheson_ashley
    Options

Your goal might be too aggressive. What is your daily calorie goal? How much do you have to lose? How fast did you tell the program you want to lose? The 2lb/week is not for everyone. Consider that this next 6 months are going to pass anyway, which would you prefer: restrict, lose fast, get hungry, overeat, give up, repeat, finish 6 months right where you started (except likely more frustrated) OR lose more slowly, but overall trend continues down in a manner which is sustainable, so you are lighter, and feel better. I'm not saying these are the only two options, but they are the more common ways this plays out.

I feel hungry occasionally, but not to the point of being obsessive about it. Some foods are more filling than others, and will help you feel full longer. Proteins and fats are filling. If you need volume for lower calories, veggies are great.

I put in .5 pound a week and my calories are 1600. I would ideally like to lose 20 pounds but would be happy with a starting goal of 10.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

I put in .5 pound a week and my calories are 1600. I would ideally like to lose 20 pounds but would be happy with a starting goal of 10.

I'm at 1600 as well. That sounds very reasonable as far as goal and expectations. Perhaps keep notes on how you are feeling on some days. Find some thing to keep your mind busy so it's less focused on food. I find puzzles (real ones, or word games, or Sudoku) keep me entertained, reading, painting, anything you can lose yourself in.

How long does this fixation on food last? I have gone through that in the past, and find that if you push through for a week or two, it does get much easier.
  • matheson_ashley
    Options

I'm at 1600 as well. That sounds very reasonable as far as goal and expectations. Perhaps keep notes on how you are feeling on some days. Find some thing to keep your mind busy so it's less focused on food. I find puzzles (real ones, or word games, or Sudoku) keep me entertained, reading, painting, anything you can lose yourself in.

How long does this fixation on food last? I have gone through that in the past, and find that if you push through for a week or two, it does get much easier.

I think you are right if I push through I can do it. I am a major stress/emotional eater and I have had a very rough year personally which ended up in my putting on 10 pounds. I also seem to crave junk, chocolate, chips etc. I was a pop drinker and I use to have one every afternoon but I've cut that out and drink only water now but still haven't had a loss.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've also found it's really important to be nice to yourself and to not beat yourself up if you go off track. If you go back to "your old ways" for a day or two, don't give up, don't punish yourself by over-restricting, and don't get down on yourself. The important thing is to get back to your new ways the next day. You don't need an all-or-nothing mindset; I like to remind myself that every day I track and get close to my calorie goal, I'm making progress! That's really been the biggest thing for me so far.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals, use a food scale, and if you have a bad day, or a bad week, don't give up. Don't say, see, I can't do this, I'm just going to give up. Do say, I'm tired of starting over, I'm not giving up.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I think you are right if I push through I can do it. I am a major stress/emotional eater and I have had a very rough year personally which ended up in my putting on 10 pounds. I also seem to crave junk, chocolate, chips etc. I was a pop drinker and I use to have one every afternoon but I've cut that out and drink only water now but still haven't had a loss.

I have to say that one soda/pop in the afternoon likely can be fit into your goal if that kept you from craving all the other things. Maybe you keep that one afternoon drink and think of it as your afternoon snack? Then down the road, when you're ready to change something else, you can either make it a diet one or try one of the bubbly waters or eliminate it completely.
    Just saying that you don't have to do everything all at once :) I fit a special snack/treat into my day as often as possible. It keeps you sane and on track. The rest of my food can be nutritious but 200-300 calories of something like soda/pop or a cookie isn't going to ruin everything. Small changes are easier changes in my experience :) good luck!

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I find everytime I start eating well working out I fall back to old ways. How can I start off again but this time succeed?

What motivation, impetus, inner strength do you employ to; get to work or school every day, brush your teeth, clean yourself everyday, do the laundry, clean your living space, maintain your self in a socially correct manner etc.? Unless you are a sociopath, you have the wherewithal to conduct yourself within the bounds of society and you therefore have the wherewithal to adhere to an eating/exercise plan that you yourself have decided is in your best interest. You do many less than pleasant things throughout the day because you have to/should. Keeping to your diet/exercise plan is just another one of those things. Treat it (the diet/exercise) as just another mandatory social convention, and learn to conduct yourself accordingly. Yes, you will mess up on occasion, that doesn't mean you should stop trying.

• Nancyannjurczak
    Nancyannjurczak Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    for me just consentrating on one day at a time I feel off the wagon so many times but cant think of that I lost 95 pds regained it all back now that Im older 53 its not that easy but I know I will reach my goal again the number one think is to forgive yourself and move on
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First off, I have the same issue lately with trying to stick with it BUT I find that I do worse on my diet when I don't have a lot of other activities going on or when I'm not occupied by something else (which I don't know how that's possible with 2 kids). For example, if I'm home at night after the kids are asleep and wrapping Christmas presents. I'm not even thinking about food. If I'm just sitting there watching t.v or scrolling through my phone and see something delicious, I immediately start obsessing and end up late night snacking. Maybe try and find a hobby that you can get into... blogging, knitting, drawing, reading... it might help? I also try to pre pack all my food for breakfast and lunch for while I'm at work and get an idea of what were going to do for dinner based around how I did during the day. I prepped some lunches and packed some healthier alternatives for the afternoon sweet tooth. I think the biggest thing is being honest with yourself. We all have bad days, just start fresh and never wait till Monday. I always find that when you get the urge to eat well, just do it right then. I got back on here a week before Christmas and most would say that's stupid but I just feel like I can do it and was sick of feeling the defeated. Best of luck!