Winters in Ohio.

Options
2»

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Minnesota here. I just dress appropriate for the weather. Today it was 27F , with snow and 15 mph winds. I wore silk long underwear under my jeans, good walking boots, a heavy sweatshirt with a windbreaker over it, thinsulate gloves, a scarf, and a warm ear-flap hat. Usually I wear just a fleece headband but the wind was pretty bitter.nqowkdao3uw9.jpg
    (me in my early winter walking getup. no ear-flap hat was necessary on Saturday).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    P90x and basketball.

I used to do a lot of running in the winter but my hips can't take it anymore. To be honest it was an ego boost to run in the very cold (-25C). I am woman, hear me roar sort of thing. I'd come back with frozen eye lashes and nose hairs, and a balaclava so crusted over with ice that ice chunks were breaking off. LOL (Alberta, Canada)

-25 sounds fancy, but its only -13 F.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WmTasker wrote: »
    I agree with most of what everyone is saying. It's been a good choice to join the gym. I could spend 3 or more hours outside riding my bike a few times a week and not get bored. Running and riding in a gym is soooo boring. It takes all I have to just do an hour on the stationary bike. Music helps and sometimes watching tv but there's nothing like just watching the scenery outside as you ride.

Agree with this. But what helps is I was preparing for a hilly biking vacation last winter (in early Feb) and trained entirely through trainer + spinning, and I was so much more prepared for hills than I usually am (after a season riding a lot in Chicago--one of the flattest places ever). It gave me more appreciation for the merits of indoor riding for training, which is what helps me deal. I can grind out a stationary bike or trainer session, and actually find spinning fun when I make myself go.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    P90x and basketball.

I used to do a lot of running in the winter but my hips can't take it anymore. To be honest it was an ego boost to run in the very cold (-25C). I am woman, hear me roar sort of thing. I'd come back with frozen eye lashes and nose hairs, and a balaclava so crusted over with ice that ice chunks were breaking off. LOL (Alberta, Canada)

-25 sounds fancy, but its only -13 F.

LOL Okay.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing the same thing I did last winter in Ohio, training for an April marathon. I'll be running outside five days a week, going to the Y a couple days a week for weights, yoga, and occasionally to swim. Last year I did several runs in single digit temps and negative wind chill. I would finish with my beard frozen, frozen patches on my jacket from sweat wicking thru my clothes. On my coldest runs my eyes would start freezing and sticking at the corners.

If the cold air is irritating your throat/lungs then try covering your mouth with a scarf or face mask. It will help capture moisture from your breath and prewarm incoming air, which should help reduce irritation.

As others have said dress in layers that can be opened/adjusted, so that you don't overheat once you get warmed up. Don't overdress, you want to be slightly chilled when you start so that you are comfortable after you start. Once you get going your legs will be like little furnaces. Also you want to wear wicking fabrics and not cottons.

If you ride your bike outside in cold weather make sure to have a good windbreaker outer layer. Body position on a bike creates a wind tunnel straight to the crotch.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I'm going to keep running outside barring very cold temperatures like the -20f we had last year
    Ummm. No thanks. I tried running when the temp was in the 40's and I was coughing and hacking the next morning. How much clothes do you have to wear to run with snow on the ground?
    Last year, I was out hiking around in a state park in 10° weather and some guy was out jogging the trails, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I think he was insane, personally.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Find an indoor track! I used to have one at the Y but I can't afford that anymore. There are also ones in community centers...But basic advice from an Upstate NY (probably worse weather!) girl is layer up, cover the mouth, and get going!! Buy some Yakk Traxx or Nano Spikes...Get some shoes you can waterproof with spray. Get some wind pants and a base layer under (we call them tights for women, they have them for men too). Nothing beats the boredom like getting outside!!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana and it's very similar to Ohio as far as weather goes- but this year so far it's been very mild. I am a cyclist as well and ride 2-3 times a week as weather permits through the spring, summer and fall. Even in the warm months I lift at the gym 2-3 times per week. In the winter I just ride the stationary usually at the gym 4-5 times per week, and to stave off the boredom I usually watch something on Netflix on my phone while cycling at the gym. But yeah it's got to be above 60 for me to ride because it is colder than running- I was able to go last Saturday because it got up to the high 60s! That was very nice.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I live in Quebec so my guess is our winter is similar to yours. I work out at home (strength training) and in winter try to go play outside with my kid every weekend day - outdoor or indoor skating, toboganning, that sort of thing (I don't ski yet but cross country skiing is the next on my list for winter). This winter we risk having to limit ourselves to i door skating only :( no snow... Yet.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of what everyone is saying. It's been a good choice to join the gym. I could spend 3 or more hours outside riding my bike a few times a week and not get bored. Running and riding in a gym is soooo boring. It takes all I have to just do an hour on the stationary bike. Music helps and sometimes watching tv but there's nothing like just watching the scenery outside as you ride.

How about trying a different machine, like the rower? Or weights? Or a circuit? Or a mix?

The other day I did 3 rounds of 8 front squats followed by 45 second sprints. Then I walked for 20 minutes. Done. Tonight I'll do a complex , walk 20 minutes, and be done.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Another Buckeye here. I don't like to have to fight the wind, rain, snow, or summer heat waves. That's why I've always preferred indoor workouts. I love the workout DVD's whether it's Leslie Sansone or some other type, those workouts are timed for me, paced along with music to keep me at a good cardio level, don't require special clothing, can be done on level floors with less chance of sprains and twists, usually include warm-up and cool down, don't involve neighbors who want to talk, strange men in cars, angry dogs, or weather worries.
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I will continue to use my treadmill and Bowflex and probably try to do some walking outside when I can.
    I'm in a rural area in Indiana so home is my gym.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @WmTasker
    I ran in a tank top, burn out long sleeve shirt and fleece leggings, and a light jacket. and a ear warmer band.
    when it was in the 20's, I wore a pair of capris under my fleece leggings, short sleeve shirt, fleece pull-over, light jacket, gloves, and my waterproof trail shoes. and scarf and headband.

shoes-saucony xodus 5.0 gtx
    s10251_xodus5gtx_w_l.jpg

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I live in Buffalo and hate doing anything outside in the cold. I cancelled my gym membership at the beginning of the year to save a little money each month. So now that it's getting colder and I don't want to run outside I've been doing various Beachbody workouts and bike riding on my trainer in the basement. Looking forward to springtime runs outside!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Just go outside with some more appropriate gear. Unless it is sub 0F (-17C) it isn't cold in my book, and even then it depends on the added windchill. We also get +10 feet of snow every year. Both of my brothers put spiked tires on their bike and rode them year round. I've considered it, but was always daunted by my 9 mile commute since I was out of shape. I may start biking to work next spring and attempting it with the good weather before transitioning to winter.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my dog, Ziggy, and I are fans of cooler/cold weather. So, we are usually out walking more often when the weather is 50 or lower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    Find an indoor track! I used to have one at the Y but I can't afford that anymore. There are also ones in community centers...But basic advice from an Upstate NY (probably worse weather!) girl is layer up, cover the mouth, and get going!! Buy some Yakk Traxx or Nano Spikes...Get some shoes you can waterproof with spray. Get some wind pants and a base layer under (we call them tights for women, they have them for men too). Nothing beats the boredom like getting outside!!

Yup, last March when I was suffering from cabin fever I got a one month membership at the Y so I could use their elevated track.

My landlord bought a plow and my mom bought a treadmill, guaranteeing us an easier winter this year ;)
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    It is unseasonably warm in OH right now. In winter I row indoors, do kickboxing classes and yoga. I also still get outside for walking or jogging. You need to layer up and get your lungs used to the cold air gradually but it is possible.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Workout at the Y while DD swims (that won't change from the rest of the year) + shovel a long drive way by hand when we do get snow.. Seriously, shoveling is a great workout.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm in NE Ohio and it hasn't really dropped below freezing at all this winter. It's been balmy, certainly warm enough for bike riding or other outdoor activities. Last couple days have been chilly, but not unreasonably so. Me and my dog will be out walking all winter long as long as the wind chill stays above 0. We just bundle up. I just don't give myself an option (other than truly extreme weather) to NOT do it. *shrug*