ndsorrell816
ndsorrell816 Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Just burned 650 calories by donating a pint of blood ,

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Where do you get that number? It seems excessive. Maybe it takes 650 calories over the next 4 weeks or so, as you create more red cells, but not all in one day. I wouldn't count it on my log. After all, that's only 25 calories a day or so.

But, hooray that you are doing your part and helping others. Donating blood is certainly worthwhile, even if it doesn't give that many calories.
  • ndsorrell816
    Options
    Just googled it
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Ah google :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ah google :)

I keep ending up with cancer. Stupid google...
  • ndsorrell816
    Options
    Ha did not log it lol
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Where do you get that number? It seems excessive. Maybe it takes 650 calories over the next 4 weeks or so, as you create more red cells, but not all in one day. I wouldn't count it on my log. After all, that's only 25 calories a day or so.

But, hooray that you are doing your part and helping others. Donating blood is certainly worthwhile, even if it doesn't give that many calories.

It's over the 8 week period between donations, so it's like, 11.5 calories a day! :lol: Still funny!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I donated last night. I usually just don't track the cookies I eat post-donation and figure it evens out. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've gotten 5 units of blood this year and didn't gain weight from it ;) lol

Thank you for your donation. Honours have made my life infinitely better.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Breaking a bone will burn quite a few while it heals...multiple breaks up to 6000 a day. I wouldn't recommend it.

Burn victims if I remember correctly burn the most.

It takes 4-6 weeks to replace the blood after donating. That comes down to about 100 calories a week...maybe 14 calories a day. About 35 weeks to lose a pound.

I wish that I could donate...not to burn calories but to give to others. My veins are too small and they collapse after putting in the needle.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I can't donate as I have Crohn's which makes me ineligible. Plus as I said i get blood so I would have to wait a year since my last transfusion anyways even if I didn't have Crohn's
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can't donate for another four years (I had ITP and can only donate once I've been medication and symptom free for 5 years. One down, four to go!). Thank you for your contribution!