Winters in Ohio.

2»

Replies

• percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Another Buckeye here. I don't like to have to fight the wind, rain, snow, or summer heat waves. That's why I've always preferred indoor workouts. I love the workout DVD's whether it's Leslie Sansone or some other type, those workouts are timed for me, paced along with music to keep me at a good cardio level, don't require special clothing, can be done on level floors with less chance of sprains and twists, usually include warm-up and cool down, don't involve neighbors who want to talk, strange men in cars, angry dogs, or weather worries.
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    I will continue to use my treadmill and Bowflex and probably try to do some walking outside when I can.
    I'm in a rural area in Indiana so home is my gym.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @WmTasker
    I ran in a tank top, burn out long sleeve shirt and fleece leggings, and a light jacket. and a ear warmer band.
    when it was in the 20's, I wore a pair of capris under my fleece leggings, short sleeve shirt, fleece pull-over, light jacket, gloves, and my waterproof trail shoes. and scarf and headband.

shoes-saucony xodus 5.0 gtx
    s10251_xodus5gtx_w_l.jpg

• lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    I live in Buffalo and hate doing anything outside in the cold. I cancelled my gym membership at the beginning of the year to save a little money each month. So now that it's getting colder and I don't want to run outside I've been doing various Beachbody workouts and bike riding on my trainer in the basement. Looking forward to springtime runs outside!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Just go outside with some more appropriate gear. Unless it is sub 0F (-17C) it isn't cold in my book, and even then it depends on the added windchill. We also get +10 feet of snow every year. Both of my brothers put spiked tires on their bike and rode them year round. I've considered it, but was always daunted by my 9 mile commute since I was out of shape. I may start biking to work next spring and attempting it with the good weather before transitioning to winter.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    my dog, Ziggy, and I are fans of cooler/cold weather. So, we are usually out walking more often when the weather is 50 or lower.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    cindytw wrote: »
    Find an indoor track! I used to have one at the Y but I can't afford that anymore. There are also ones in community centers...But basic advice from an Upstate NY (probably worse weather!) girl is layer up, cover the mouth, and get going!! Buy some Yakk Traxx or Nano Spikes...Get some shoes you can waterproof with spray. Get some wind pants and a base layer under (we call them tights for women, they have them for men too). Nothing beats the boredom like getting outside!!

Yup, last March when I was suffering from cabin fever I got a one month membership at the Y so I could use their elevated track.

My landlord bought a plow and my mom bought a treadmill, guaranteeing us an easier winter this year ;)
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    It is unseasonably warm in OH right now. In winter I row indoors, do kickboxing classes and yoga. I also still get outside for walking or jogging. You need to layer up and get your lungs used to the cold air gradually but it is possible.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Workout at the Y while DD swims (that won't change from the rest of the year) + shovel a long drive way by hand when we do get snow.. Seriously, shoveling is a great workout.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    I'm in NE Ohio and it hasn't really dropped below freezing at all this winter. It's been balmy, certainly warm enough for bike riding or other outdoor activities. Last couple days have been chilly, but not unreasonably so. Me and my dog will be out walking all winter long as long as the wind chill stays above 0. We just bundle up. I just don't give myself an option (other than truly extreme weather) to NOT do it. *shrug*