40 years old 6'1 288 pounds. Cardio to a point then weight lift? Help!

Options
Hi everyone. I would like to get back to my ideal weight of 180 pounds. I am currently 40 years old at 6'1 and 288. I've been dieting for a short time now and have went from 296 to 288 in about a little over a week. I know at first the weight will drop off fast but I am trying to set up for the long haul when it's not so easy. Checking online, it looks like my calorie maintenance is 3400. I would like to eat 2400 calories or less while exercising. The question I have is would it be better to just do strictly cardio right now to drop the weight, then down the road start to build muscle once I get to maybe 230 or 220? How should I go about this? Thanks or the help!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting resistance training (either lifting weights or doing bodyweight--aka calisthenics--training) now. This, in addition to eating sufficient amounts of protein, will help you to retain the muscle that you current have. "Sufficient amounts of protein" is a bit debatable but research has shown that .64-.82 grams per pound of bodyweight is a good amount. To make it easy, I just multiply my bodyweight by .8 and round to the nearest 10.

I think that the calorie goal you've calculated is a good one. Best of luck to you.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Do resistance training from the start. You will regret it otherwise down the line.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Start lifting yesterday. When we eat at a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. Lifting in that deficit helps us retain muscle so that we lose mainly water and fat. The scale may not necessary move as fast as we retain muscle, but are efficiently lowering BF%.

If you're maintenance is 3400, eating at 2400 is TDEE -30%, which is doable but I wouldn't recommend aiming for anything less than that.

EDIT: Building muscle is really...really...really hard. Why would you want to lose muscle just to do 3x the work to get it back?
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. The thing is I have high blood pressure so I don't want to overdo it. I used to lift when I was younger then took up residence in cheezit-ville since 24-40. Now I want to just get back to who I was and am trying to dedicate myself. Are there any weight lifting routines for people with high blood pressure? I know it will go down as I lose the weight and can't wait, but for now I don't want to push it and croak. I am power walking daily for 1 hour and it without a doubt feels good. I know I can do more but just need a bit of guidance. Thanks again :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've actually never read up on lifting and high blood pressure but you don't have to go crazy doing it. Simpler is better. You could just alternate lifting and walking days if your concern is adding to the overall amount of exercise you're doing. Here are a few beginner's programs:

* Stronglifts - http://stronglifts.com/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * Fierce 5 - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631
    * Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the help. The thing is I have high blood pressure so I don't want to overdo it. I used to lift when I was younger then took up residence in cheezit-ville since 24-40. Now I want to just get back to who I was and am trying to dedicate myself. Are there any weight lifting routines for people with high blood pressure? I know it will go down as I lose the weight and can't wait, but for now I don't want to push it and croak. I am power walking daily for 1 hour and it without a doubt feels good. I know I can do more but just need a bit of guidance. Thanks again :smiley:

You should probably ask your doctor about the BP issue. If you are already comfortable with weight lifting and your doctor OKs it, I LOVE stronglifts. You can download the app at stronglifts.com, and just follow the app. It's really simple. I lift three times a week and have seen progressive improvement.

ETA: And I agree with everyone else...start lifting now!!! (With doctor's approval, of course.)
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I would like to get back to my ideal weight of 180 pounds. I am currently 40 years old at 6'1 and 288. I've been dieting for a short time now and have went from 296 to 288 in about a little over a week. I know at first the weight will drop off fast but I am trying to set up for the long haul when it's not so easy. Checking online, it looks like my calorie maintenance is 3400. I would like to eat 2400 calories or less while exercising. The question I have is would it be better to just do strictly cardio right now to drop the weight, then down the road start to build muscle once I get to maybe 230 or 220? How should I go about this? Thanks or the help!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No. If anything drop the cardio, and just focus on pumping iron. You'll build muscle, which then burns calories 24/7.