Anyone starting Stronglifts?

Options
I'm starting this Tuesday for the first time, planning to keep a Tues-Thurs-Sat schedule. Looking for people to help keep accountable and check in with each other after workouts. If you're interested, feel free to reply or FR. Thanks!

Replies

• mostwhimsicalchap
    mostwhimsicalchap Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've been doing stronglifts or a variation of stronglifts on and off for the past 4-5 months. Still feel pretty new at it. So far it's worked wonders for me! Not only have I noticed a difference but others have noticed changes.

What is your end goal? Are you training for an event? Trying to just increase over strength or size?
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    @mostwhimsicalchap Mostly just trying to build a solid base so I can get back into lifting regularly. I've had really good luck in the past lifting heavy and making strength training the basis for my workouts, I've just fallen off of late.

Glad you're doing well with it! Do you find that the 3x a week schedule is enough, or do you supplement with cardio or other strength training?
  • mostwhimsicalchap
    Options
    @cherrybomb333 when I first started stronglifts I stuck to the every other day guideline which was working well, considering I was only ever moderately sore on the workout. Though I'm in a line of work that requires a high level of conditioning which I noticed was starting to suffer at the hands of my strength only training. So I began to run or do some sort of HIIT cardio on the off days with a full rest day here and there.

As far as other strength training, I always stuck to the three big compound movements everyday, but would always do 2-3 accessory exercises afterwards to work on some weak points. Sometimes they were the same exercises, other times they were spur of the moment exercises. Total I would spend maybe 35-45 min at the gym.
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    @mostwhimsicalchap I think that's where I'm leaning. I'd like to get back into running, so I may add that in to cross train, as long as it doesn't seem to negatively affect the program.

Day 1 done, and so far so good. Starting weights definitely felt light. I think I undervalued the time I've spent doing BodyPump. But I know it will ramp up quickly, so I'm looking forward to the challenge!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    With the stronglifts program you do start off light and this is so your focus is on having the correct form. It doesn't take long though for the weights to start increasing and if you haven't developed correct form then being able to progress becomes harder usually resulting in stalling and needing to deload. In the beginning it does feel like you can do more esp accessory lifts - if you want to add those in try ICF 5x5
    I've been doing SL about 8 months now, started with dumbbells because I couldn't lift bar and only started bar work with rack 5weeks ago. It's been slow progress and generally takes longer for women to add more weights to bar then men. Worth doing though.
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just started this week...I love it so far! I'm so excited to see how I progress with the program :smile:

For now I'm just doing the lifts and taking real rest days. I don't want to overdo it when I first start.
  • Veronique_337
    Veronique_337 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi @cherrybomb333!
    I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this :smile: I've never lifted in my life, but I really want to in order to maintain some muscle while I lose fat. I really want to have definition to my body when I hit my goal weight, as opposed to having that "skinny but flabby" look.

I started SL for the first time on 11/29/15 but only completed 2 workouts that week because my thighs were super sore! But I've started the program again, this past Monday, 12/14 and I went to the gym today too. I'm going to go for a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule. I'm not giving up this time and I'll just learn to work through the soreness or I'll never progress.

Oh, and no cardio for me right now. I just want to see if I can stay consistent with my 3 days of strength training.

I'll be adding you as a friend :smile:
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    @christch That's good to hear, and it's definitely been my focus. I know the workouts are going to get much tougher soon. I'll definitely check out ICF. I've heard good things about both programs. Good luck and congrats on your continued progress!

@mandyrene21 I feel the same way. I love that it pushes you to progress daily. I keep looking at the weight I could be lifting at the end of 12 weeks and I know even getting close will be totally worth it. Hope it goes great for you!

@Veronique_337 Added you back :smile: If you get frustrated, just hit me up and we can encourage each other! It's going to be tough but definitely worth it! Can't wait to see your progress!

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start on Monday, doing a Monday - Wednesday schedule. (I've been doing 2 days strength, 4 days run/bike for 6 months with good results. Just switching the strength to SL). Feel free to friend me - always glad to have accountability buddies.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I do Stonglifts 2 to 3 days a week depending on my work/home schedule. It's a great workout program.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is a group on mfp called "stronglifts 5x5 for women" sorry, can't do a link as on my phone...but DO come and join us!
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    There is a group on mfp called "stronglifts 5x5 for women" sorry, can't do a link as on my phone...but DO come and join us!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Gonna join right now. :)
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As a powerlifter this thread makes me so happy! Love seeing so many people lifting weights. Go ALL OF YOU! :smiley:
  • mostwhimsicalchap
    Options
    @cherrybomb333 good luck and keep us updated on your progress!!
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    @cherrybomb333 thanks! I get so excited the night before my lifts because I look to see what weight I'll be doing :smile: it's crazy to think how strong we'll all be!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of strong lifts and have become addicted to lifting :p it is very empowering for me. I also run three days a week - feel free to add me! I'm always looking for others who are into lifting.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started the new rules back in Aug of this year. I really enjoyed it, then it started to take really long in the gym. I try to get my work out during the lunch hour, and it was just taking too long.

I started stronglifts on sat (sat, mon, wed schedule, or may vary). With the start of it, I had to take off a fair amount of weight with the squats and deadlifts...but I know it will bump up fairly quickly. I love the fact that I can get in and it's like a 45 min session for me to do.

I love lifting. Helps a lot with my stress levels and I really do feel like a bad *kitten* :) The thought of doing cardio in the gym makes me want to weep.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am about to finish week 3, I do M-W-F. I do 20 minutes of low intensity cardio afterwards, and 45 minutes of cardio on T-T. I also weekends will either hike, walk, go to gym for extra cardio, or take a break and do nothing. As I was a so called ex bodybuilder when I was younger I found the weights way too light, I took best guess at where to start and started at week 3 with no issues, the other thing I do right news if I lift with no issue in the fifth set and am not sore I go up by 10 lbs. I know I am not following it as I should and don't recommend for new to lifting lifters, muscle memory is a great thing. You do progress quickly following it to the letter.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Officially started yesterday. I was working up to being able to do the 45 pound bar.
  • cherrybomb333
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice, and it's great to see everyone's progress and experiences!

As of today, I just finished Week 2, Day 1 and I'm definitely in love with SL. I've followed weight training programs in the past, but I lost direction when it came to rep ranges and knowing how and when to increase the weight. This program has definitely made it easier, and I've noticed huge improvements in my focus and drive because I'm not wasting time second-guessing myself.

After week 1, I'm down 1.6 pounds and 6.5 inches overall :smile: I know weekly measurements are going to be key because they'll give me a much better picture of how my body is improving, but it was great to see a change in both. (And @Isca_1 I fully agree. I walk into the gym like a total bad*** now. Weight training has got me hooked!)

Good luck to everyone and keep kicking butt!