So i really screwed up :(

Options
Hi guys... sorry if this is in the wrongnplace but, I really screwed up. Ive been doing really well up until today. I havent started taking my weightloss medications because I wanted to try this on my own. The med that i have basically makes me feel full so I eat less. This would be the 2nd one id be trying but I really want to do this without drugs. Anyway so my husband asked me to try MFP so i did and it really has opened my eyes as to how many calories i really was eating everyday. Its scary, so ive been following everything to a T. Logging and scanning everything before i make a decision to eat it and its been working great. However today i *kitten* up... i had to get up super early today to drop him off at school and then i came home. Well i didnt eat breakfast so i passed back out at home since i didnt have to be at work til 1130 (5 hrs later). So I woke up really groggy and STARVING so i went to micky d's to grab a coffee like i usually do and i endedbup leaving with a 10 piece a mcchicken and fries as well! I feel like garbage and i feel like a giant failure... maybe i do need drugs.. or surgery but I REALLY want to avoid those. I hate myself right now and I just dont know if i have it in me to start all over again. I dont know what to do, and i just want to apologize to myself for being a pig and to all of my friends who I let down -_-

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whoa, calm down there. :) You didn't let anyone down and you don't have to start over. Just move on from here, log the fries and chicken and keep trying. No one is perfect, we all over-eat sometimes. The trick is to not over eat ALL the time. :) If it makes you feel better, I had 8 cookies (home-made and freaking delicious) for breakfast. I'm having chipotle for an office gathering/lunch, and god only knows what I'll have for dinner - it's the holidays and there is a ton going on. At the end of the day, I'll have gone WAAAAY over for calories today, but it's not the end of the world. Dinner will probably be sensible, but tomorrow is another chance to eat healthy foods and stay on target. You've got this. Don't let the occasional yummy snack throw you into a tailspin. :flowerforyou:
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    One bad meal is not a deal breaker, count it as a lesson learned and move on to the next meal, and make better choices. Crap happens. You can do this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. Fast-food can be a part of anyone's diet and make it fit into their day's intake.

Read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

You can do this!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    NO!!! You are not a failure nor are you a pig or a let down! Forget about the food - get rid of that negative self-talk ASAP. We cannot talk to ourselves that way and expect a healthy body. Doesn't work that way. Mind comes first, body next.

As far as the food goes, ONE fast food meal does NOT equal failure. That is just normal. We all have good meals and bad and as long as the good out number the bad over all then that's all that matters. That's not to say I'm labeling fast food as bad; merely using that terminology to hopefully try to make a point. Log the meal and move on - you can do this!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So, your choices are quit, or track it and move on. The second one is going to be more effective in reaching your goals, so I'd do that.

Don't expect perfection. You'll never reach it. Consistency and mostly good choices are better goals.

• treebek
    treebek Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Log it, eat sensible meals the rest of the day, and drink tons of water to flush your body. No biggie.

And give yourself a break :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again.

Hey, that's kinda catchy. Someone should turn it into a song.

Seriously, the only thing you can do is learn, log, move on, and do your best. Check with your daily averages on a weekly basis and you should find that the "damage" is small, if their is "damage" at all. I go over a day or so a week and have lost about 30#s since July of this year. You can move on or quit. Moving on will lead to results you are looking for, quitting will not.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If you read these boards you'll come to appreciate that most of the learning, after the initial "weigh and log everything and stay under calories" involves what to do and how to get back on track after we "blow it". In the big picture of your life, one trip to MickeD's with all the trimmings, will set you back a day or two.

Log it, appreciate the vast quantity of calories you ate, appreciate how it tasted (was it really worth 2000 calories to eat that stuff), learn from this, and move on. If it were easy, with no slip ups, we wouldn't need this website and nobody would post because we'd all be slim and trim.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yup, log it and move on. Expecting to diet without ever slipping is as realistic as expecting to learn to ride a bike without any falls or skinned knees.

The important thing is how you react. Are you going to lay on the ground crying, or dust yourself off and get on the bike again?

You're going to fall sometimes. This won't be the last time, either. It didn't physically derail your diet - don't allow it to mentally derail you.
  • piperjosie
    piperjosie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is great advice from everybody. We have all been there and done that! Forgiving myself and loving myself enough to be kind to me even when I have slipped up has been the best lesson I've learned. I have had plenty of days when I have been WWWAAAYYY over on calories and have still managed to lose 76 pounds. Stay the course!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Everyone has given you excellent advice. None of us are perfect. I love a good cheeseburger now and then. I have learned to try and make it fit within my weekly calories when I do have one. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't. I'm still down 12 pounds so far. Start over at the next meal. It's all you can do.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    If you read these boards you'll come to appreciate that most of the learning, after the initial "weigh and log everything and stay under calories" involves what to do and how to get back on track after we "blow it". In the big picture of your life, one trip to MickeD's with all the trimmings, will set you back a day or two.

Log it, appreciate the vast quantity of calories you ate, appreciate how it tasted (was it really worth 2000 calories to eat that stuff), learn from this, and move on. If it were easy, with no slip ups, we wouldn't need this website and nobody would post because we'd all be slim and trim.

This was another thing I had to learn. Save the delicious points (i.e., calories) for food that is worth it. If I'm gonna blow some calories, I'm going to do it on something super delicious, not something meh.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Kurriana, please don't be hard on yourself. You've done great already, and as others have said, one bad choice isn't going to send you back to your old ways. Ask yourself how much did you really enjoy the meal? if you really did enjoy it, then allow yourself a smaller version once a week or fortnight or something like that and factor it into your meals. There are some people here that have successfully lost weight by eating fast food of some sort every day. Maybe not the healthiest, but it's up to you how you want to do it. To deny yourself anything is a recipe for disaster, you'll give in and go mad probably. I admire your decision to do this without drugs or surgery. It isn't easy, but you'll learn loads if you keep coming on this site and logging every day. The most important thing you can probably do is weigh your food. It's so easy to misjudge how much we eat if we eyeball it. Good luck with your journey, please don't give up. That would be something to regret. xxx
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I read a very meaningful saying on a motivational poster once. It said something to the effect of "if you get a flat tire, you don't get out of the car and slash the other three tires". I try to keep this in mind when I have a "whoops", like last weekend when I killed half a bag of chocolate chips... I log it, maybe cuss myself for a minute or two, then go back to staying within my goals and maybe do a little extra exercise. Change the tire, keep driving. You'll feel much better about yourself when you realize how strong you can be. I've lost 13 pounds since November 1, chips and all.
  • Kurriana
    Kurriana Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone.... thank you so much for the positive vibes. I still feel crappy about it (now im sluggish because i know I overate) but I will pick myself back up and just focus more this evening and in the future. I appreciate all of your support and I will use this as a springboard to bounce back and burn those calories away! I was just so disappointed in myself because even tho it may have only been one meal but since im still at the very beginning of my journey, it just feels like I took a million steps backwards. You guys are right... I CAN do this... i just need to focus harder and control sudden cravings. As I said, i was only going to get a coffee but it turned into lunch lol. Ill keep all of your words in mind when Im pondering what to eat :smile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Aww...those nuggets are pretty damn good! :D High protein too! Just log it and proceed.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    So you ate a meal you regret. Happens to all of us! Don't let it make you feel like you are a worse person for it. Yes, you can do better and you have been doing better!

Log it and realize that it actually takes a lot more extra calories to GAIN a pound, just like it takes a significant amount less to lose a pound. So, maybe this day you maintain rather than lose. No biggie!

I suggest finding solutions to alleviate your "I'm starving and have no time" problem. Perhaps have a few leftovers in the fridge that you can easily grab and bring with you. It helps if it's meals you love and are lower in calorie (soups are often good for this). If you love it, you'll be excited to eat it and it will be easier to say no to the fast food. You'll save money, too, since cooking at home is always cheaper than eating out!

That being said, there's no reason you should never eat fast food if you love it. If you love it and you want to work it into your day/week, go for it! Treats are necessary even when you are working hard to lose.
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get discouraged. Seriously. I went on a business trip and stayed with my Mom (a feeder) and then went to Reno for a friends wedding for 4 days. I set myself back by 2 weeks during those 2 weeks of eating incorrectly. I'm just now at less than 1/2 pound from seeing a loss again. I've been at this a few months and have lost 10 pounds. I've dropped a pants size and it feels great. So you CAN have set backs and then get back on the MFP wagon. Just log it and move on, and don't be afraid of the scale. I know I am, it gives me nightmares. :) But that's another topic for another thread. Hang in there!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    count your calories when you start over. we all mess up, you will be fine. If I can lose, you can
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You aren't a failure; you're a beautiful, complex person that just ate some chicken nuggets. Don't beat yourself up over it. As long as you don't get discouraged and give up, it won't matter in the long run if you are eating healthy most of the days of the month. Self-compassion is an important part of getting healthy.