Fitbit insomnia?

Options
I bought my Fitbit Charge HR back in August, and started wearing it 24/7 immediately. At about the same time I felt my sleep starting to go downhill -- I was waking up more often in the stupidly small hours, and having trouble getting back to sleep. After months of this it finally occurred to me recently to take my Fitbit off at night, and I've noticed a real improvement. I realized that I had been waking at night, looking at the time on my Fitbit, then obsessing about how late/early it was, how difficult it was going to be getting back to sleep, etc., etc., etc. (I generally do not keep a clock in my bedroom, or any source of light.) Has anybody else gotten caught up in a similar Fitbit-induced neurotic cycle? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Fitbit, and it's great for daytime activities, but I've come to believe that (for me, anyway) it can be a real impediment to sleep, or at least to night-time relaxation.

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Since getting the Fitbit One for my B-Day, I actually noticed that I've been getting more sleep because I'm more aware of the time now. Before I would go to bed later and later. Now that I have a sleep goal I get to bed earlier so I beat it. If it did start to interfere with my sleep, I'd stop wearing it at night like you.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nope. Haven't noticed a bit of difference in how I sleep since I got my Charge HR.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I get shite sleep every night and got the fit bit to help track it and set some goals to improve it. It has helped me to identify patterns and motivate me to work harder to spend the hours at least trying.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it has actually helped me to sleep more as I realised I wasn't getting as much sleep as I thought I was.

It sounds like it's more the presence of a clock in your bedroom with you that impacts on your sleep, rather than the Fitbit itself. If you're becoming obsessive over the time I would definitely take it off! It's not worth having sucky sleep just for a bit of data.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wake up a lot with it on too. I either bump it or have it get stuck under pillows (causing me to wake to change position), and it lights up if it gets turned toward my face and any light will bug me. And yes also the ability to fully check the time (couldn't do that from the bed before) and then stress over being awake at X time.

I will wear it once in a while to get a read on how often I'm waking in the night, but never on a work night lol.
  • WM916
    WM916 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing it at night. I love it, I really do, but I'm way too sensitive to having something on my wrist and I move a lot in my sleep so I was waking up a lot. Much better now putting it on in the morning and taking it off when I'm ready to turn off the lights.
  • susiejof
    susiejof Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've got a Fitbit charge HR also and I found the flashing clock when I moved my arm was too bright and distracting in the dark night. I turned it off by going to dashboard>settings>devices>quick view gesture>off. That really helped, though it doesn't stop the infrared lights for counting my pulse from being noticeable when my band slides around. I usually loosen it at night, so that contributes. However I leave it on cause I really need to track my sleep patterns and the charge HR super helps me with that.
  • vburgess76
    vburgess76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge hr user please add me on fitbit prettybug76@gmail.com