Sliding back into old habits!

Options
I have been going strong for about 8 months now, and have lost 20kg over that period of time....I have put in the hard work with my exercise and loving it with plans to do tough chick challenge (6km bootcamp style obstacle course), 9km bridge run, 50km bike ride and City2Surf (14km). The one thing that keeps letting me down is my nutrition!

I started off strong on MFP and I was so diligent to put EVERYTHING in here before even consuming anything as that would allow me time to process and rationalise what I was eating, rather than out of habit or for instant gratification aka the sugar hits!

Over time I got lazy, and have found over the last couple of weeks, eating chocolate, chips, icecream you name it on a regular basis (daily!). And not just small amounts either....I finally realised today just what an impact this has on my body, not just weight wise, but all of a sudden last few days been feeling super lethargic, not well, really difficult to get myself moving about which means I havent been to the gym in a week and dreading my PT session tonight (when I am usually pumped!). Made me realise just how important nutrition is, not just to lose weight, but my body is clearly saying it doesn't like these foods and is feeling poisoned!!

I guess I am posting this to give myself a good kick up the butt and see who else is in a bit of a slump at the moment so we can support each other!!

I keep saying it is a mind game and I will win! I just now need a few days to withdraw from all the sugar and processed foods I had poisoned my body with!

Good luck all xx

Replies

• sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    WOW you have done SOooooooo well!!! Congratulations..:o)

I read once that willpower and discipline is like a muscle, you have to keep working them for them to get stronger.......you are right, it is a mind thing and the mind is a VERY powerful tool!

You have shown committment and dedication just by jumping back on board....and your right, when you eat badly it reflects on everything...people don't realise how much eating proper food can affect your life and improve it....especially mentally.

Keep up the great work and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like some encouragement..:o)
  • JennyGA
    JennyGA Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi , I am in about the same boat as your are with the food thing.I go well for ages, feel really great , plenty of energy then for no given reason start eating little bits of biscuits cakes etc , that would be fine but I continue on to more and more.I guess its binge eating.I can't figure out why I do this to myself because like you it makes me feel listless usually get somach upsets etc.Lol, I guess if I had the one simple answer for why I would crack the market on weight loss .The way I see it is that we get back on the wagon so to speak and eventually eating food that is benificial to us become a mind set .I wish you luck and hope it goes the way you want it to .
  • msalycia
    msalycia Posts: 3
    Options
    Good for you....you are just pressing on and moving forward. I think many of us don't truly realize the effects of not eating properly. I know I thought (up until recently) that you just ate well to lose weight, but you're right; I too noticed the positive effects good eating were having on my life in general.

So thank you for posting this, it was a good reminder for me too about why I made this choice for a better quality of life.
  • T_William
    T_William Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I still do this every few days ill have a biccy or treat myself to a starbucks ice drink but I keep an eye on my other intake for the day and work out, never had an issue with it and never stopped loosing weight
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a bit the same at the moment - too many extra biscuits, desserts, crackers with peanut butter (and their friends) are creeping into my mouth. I don't have a problem with a little bit of any of these, but find that my ability to stop at one little bit has just washed away in the last week or so.
    I know that this is probably related to stress but I've been trying to think it through and work out why it is that I can be so strong for 5 months and then can start to sabotage all my hard work with things that I know aren't good for me.
    My plan for the next little while is to come up with a strategy to distract myself from these extras - I'm thinking a cup of herbal tea might slow me down and divert me from wanting to eat those bits and pieces.
    Good luck, I'm beginning to think that learning about what to eat and how much to exercise is the easy part, the real battle is in the mind, changing the self-gratifying habits of years!!
  • newnarelle
    newnarelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! It is so good having an awesome support on here to remind you that we all go through these periods, and to push through the walls of sabotage! I was able to have little treats here and there for awhile, but last 2 weeks have been hanging out at Binge city where it has been unconscious eating, and not even enjoying it, but just old habits! It took me to feeling like absolute rubbish for me to register something was really off with my diet!

I am making a conscious effort today to start using MFP as diligently as I did when I started this journey, because thats really the been the most successful I have been nutrition wise!

After posting this I was desperately searching for some motivation to give me a kick up the butt and went and registered for the Tough Bloke/Chick Challenge! So excited!! Better get my body ready! If you are in Sydney, join me!

https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=3671&ReferralFrom=707239&ReferralType=Facebook
  • newnarelle
    Options
    Good luck, I'm beginning to think that learning about what to eat and how much to exercise is the easy part, the real battle is in the mind, changing the self-gratifying habits of years!!
    [/quote]

So damn true!! It is all a battle of the mind!
  • newnarelle
    Options
    I read once that willpower and discipline is like a muscle, you have to keep working them for them to get stronger.......you are right, it is a mind thing and the mind is a VERY powerful tool!

Love this!