gluten free bread recipes please

jenfunfur
jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
edited September 28 in Recipes
i'm trying to get my ibs under control, i've stayed off bread for a few weeks but thought today i would bake some gluten free bread. I was shocked when i put it into the recipe calculator 237cal per slice! I used the recipe on the back of the flour packet :(
Has anyone got a good failsafe recipe for a loaf that i can use for toast/sandwiches that is'nt nutrionally sky high?

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    GF bread has a higher calorie/fat content (in my experience - 1 year after I learned I had Celiac's) because the rice/nuts/alternative flours have a higher fat content naturally than wheat does. I don't know of any GF bread that has a lower count, I've pretty much given up on bread - sandwiches taste just as awesome on GF corn tortillas. granted this doesn't work for somethings, but just eat that on a cheat day.
  • mommy2halfdozen
    mommy2halfdozen Posts: 52 Member
    I am watching. Need gluten free bread recipe for my daughter.
  • soifua
    soifua Posts: 82
    I've never made it myself but this is from a friend that is gluten free ...

RICE BREAD
    350°
    3 cups rice flour OR 1½ cups rice flour, 1½ cups sorghum flour
    ¼ cup sugar
    1 package or 1 Tablespoon dry active yeast
    3½ teaspoons xanthan gum
    1½ teaspoons salt

2 cups lukewarm water
    ¼ cup vegetable oil

2 large eggs

1. Combine flour(s), sugar, yeast, xanthan gum, and salt in mixing bowl. Blend well.
    2. Add the lukewarm water (water that is too warm will kill the yeast) and the vegetable oil. Blend well.
    3. Add the eggs. Mix at highest speed of mixer for 2 minutes.
    4. Bread dough should be wetter than cookie dough and stiffer than cake dough.
    5. Add water till correct consistency. Usually only needs ¼ more at the most.
    6. Pour dough into greased bread pan. Let rise until slightly above pans.
    7. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

Note: Take slightly less time for baking 2 small loaves instead of 1 large.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    agh it's the eggs & oil that causes the problems but without them the bread would be crumbly & dry :(
    Just really fancy scrambled eggs on toast
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Good morning!

Try this site: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    I've been gluten free for awhile now and bread is just something that I've kind of had to give up on. There aren't very many store bought varieties out there that taste good and making it is an iffy process (doesn't turn out well all the time). I finally found a local gluten free bakery that makes delicious bread...but no nutritional content! If you're looking for something yummy, try brown rice cakes with nut butter and a banana on them...I do this in place of a sandwich. :) Good luck!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Head on over to >Elana's Pantry. She is gluten free ... breads, cakes etc ... she has several books out too! I've tried many of her recipes all delish, easy and made with only wholesome ingredients!
  • Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Udis company makes wonderful tasting white and wheat breads that aren't heavy/thick or large in size. They are calorie conscious also. This is available at WholeFoods and Raley's that I've found. They also make gluten free tortilla shells, pastries, etc. I like there stuff. Hope this helps.
  • My favorite GF baking book is Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone. I have bought and given away seven copies of it. My GF (adult) girls love the bread from this book. We tried and rejected all of the store brands of bread...and were desperate for another option. This bread is kneaded in the mixer; it doesn't require a bread machine. I mix it in my Kitchen Aide mixer and bake it in the oven. It never fails--I get a good loaf every time. If you live near me, I'll bake some for you!
This discussion has been closed.