Eating out panic

Options
How is best to deal with eating out? I always panic as I do not know exactly how many calories I am eating. This can sometimes cause me to go off the rails for the rest of the day. Thanks for any help/ suggestions!!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How is best to deal with eating out? I always panic as I do not know exactly how many calories I am eating. This can sometimes cause me to go off the rails for the rest of the day. Thanks for any help/ suggestions!!

Make your best estimate, based on what you've learned along the way about different foods, portion sizes, etc. And then add 100 calories to that.

That's what I did anyway...

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If you're going to a chain type of place they might have their calorie count listed on the menu or even online. Before I go out to eat, depending on the place, I check their website to see if they have a menu list with calories. If the place doesn't I still check the menu and then google the items I'd like to eat to see if I can find the calories elsewhere.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I look up the menu's online and if the calories are not listed I make an educated guess.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If there isn't an online nutritional information menu, then I just make a conservative estimate and leave it at that. I usually try to make my other meals in the day smaller to compensate. But a day slightly over doesn't do any harm anyway, as long as it's not a regular thing. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In addition to looking up the menu online, google "serving sizes" for a bunch of image results that give you ways to make visual estimates. Study the charts a bit, maybe print one out and stick it in your purse if necessary. After you estimate things for awhile you'll have a good idea of how to do it and won't panic.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If it is a major chain restaurant, at least in the US anyway, they are required to have nutrition information on their website. You can scope out their menu online, and have an idea of what you are going to order before you even get there and the amount of calories in that item.

If it is a Mom-and-Pop type store where there may be only one or two locations, you can find a similar item to what you have already eaten/going to eat at one of the chain restaurant sites. It won't be exact, but at least you will be able to log something.

Enjoy the meal and time out with family or friends and get back on the MFP track tomorrow. One meal won't blow your weight loss.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If you are panicking over one meal out, maybe you should re-evaluate your goals? One meal does not make you fat and eating nothing for one meal does not make you skinny. It's a balance over time. Calm down, eat a nice meal and have fun.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    If you are panicking over one meal out, maybe you should re-evaluate your goals? One meal does not make you fat and eating nothing for one meal does not make you skinny. It's a balance over time. Calm down, eat a nice meal and have fun.

Some of us get anxious over a lot of things. The post office and my email inbox can make me panic, and even though I know how to count calories-a meal out can get me a little ruffled as well.

Most of the places I go to don't have calorie counts online but I do look at the menu before hand and start planning my day around what I'm going to get. Also, weighing food at home has helped me get good at guesstimating when I'm out. Just don't forget to add calories for oil/butter.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Panic is at best counterproductive. And if you use 'panic' as a means of just giving up and gobbling all the food you are simply granting permission to sabotage yourself plain & simple. Own it.
    Think of what you most want to eat. Want as in desire, what would most please you. Figure out why. Make a menu choice based on that. Make an educated guess about the calories: use a cookbook & build your own hypothetical recipe; take a picture to reconstruct later; find any Paula Deen equivalent in the database because it's probably your best 'worst case scenario' guess; or just create a generic entry using a round generous number of your choice. If you are eating out for pleasure, enjoy. If you are eating out for work or obligation, devise a game plan that allows you to relax.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am going to Cracker Barrel tomorrow with my work, and I looked two days ago so I could plan what deliciousness I want to eat! Even at Buffalo Wild Wings I can make a pretty good choice as long as I am well armed with good information before I get there and my brain says... "fried cheese curds!! yes!". Getting to go out to eat should be fun instead of stressful! I hope you can find the information to be able to enjoy yourself.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    In addition to looking up the menu online, google "serving sizes" for a bunch of image results that give you ways to make visual estimates. Study the charts a bit, maybe print one out and stick it in your purse if necessary. After you estimate things for awhile you'll have a good idea of how to do it and won't panic.

That's a great piece of advice. Thanks.

Also If I'm getting higher calorie fare I eat only half of the serving and save the rest for the next day. That makes a 1400 calorie meal not as impactful for me.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Saw title and expected something entirely different. Left disappointed
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If I know where I am eating, I will look up the nutritional information ahead of time, make my decision based on calories and macros, and then not look at the menu once I arrive (to minimize being persuaded by all the pretty pictures).
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am going to Cracker Barrel tomorrow with my work, and I looked two days ago so I could plan what deliciousness I want to eat! Even at Buffalo Wild Wings I can make a pretty good choice as long as I am well armed with good information before I get there and my brain says... "fried cheese curds!! yes!". Getting to go out to eat should be fun instead of stressful! I hope you can find the information to be able to enjoy yourself.

Problem with Cracker Barrel is the cornbread and biscuits. So good.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I pretty much always stick to a protein and veg. If the choice is 2 sides...then veg and salad with dressing on the side.

The other night we went to Casey's and I calculated about 400 calores for my meal.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_YAATZpJb7/
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I understand what she means by panic..... When you really commit to losing weight you worry about every meal.... I think it's actually kind of healthy and shows you care a lot about making this work. Yes in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but when you have gone for years with poor self control and portion awareness, it's a little scary to eyeball it when going out for dinner. I have chosen not to eat a couple dishes based purely on how hard it was to guess the calorie count. I imagine as time passes and the weight loss continues it will get easier to eyeball.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I understand what she means by panic..... When you really commit to losing weight you worry about every meal.... I think it's actually kind of healthy and shows you care a lot about making this work. Yes in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but when you have gone for years with poor self control and portion awareness, it's a little scary to eyeball it when going out for dinner. I have chosen not to eat a couple dishes based purely on how hard it was to guess the calorie count. I imagine as time passes and the weight loss continues it will get easier to eyeball.

I disagree with this. It really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things and feeling panicked at enjoying normal activities could lead to avoidance behaviors (not going out to a restaurant because the exact number of calories cannot be determined). Things do get easier, with time and practice, but how much this effects someone is really an important aspect of how long they will maintain the changes needed for long-term success. If someone feels that they can't go out and enjoy themselves once in a while, how likely will they stick with it?

These types of events occur regularly in everyone's life, so it is important to figure out how to fit it in. Yesterday, I was 500 calories over my daily goal. I know that because I am currently losing 2 lb/week, that I am still 500 calories below maintenance, meaning that being in the red yesterday will be little more than a blip in the radar. It doesn't mean that I'm not committed, it doesn't mean that I don't care. I means that I am aware of the choices I am making and how it will effect my over all progress. That extra 500 calories will (in estimation) reduce my loss by .14 of a pound this week. I think I can live with that.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I disagree with this. It really isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things and feeling panicked at enjoying normal activities could lead to avoidance behaviors (not going out to a restaurant because the exact number of calories cannot be determined). Things do get easier, with time and practice, but how much this effects someone is really an important aspect of how long they will maintain the changes needed for long-term success. If someone feels that they can't go out and enjoy themselves once in a while, how likely will they stick with it?

These types of events occur regularly in everyone's life, so it is important to figure out how to fit it in. Yesterday, I was 500 calories over my daily goal. I know that because I am currently losing 2 lb/week, that I am still 500 calories below maintenance, meaning that being in the red yesterday will be little more than a blip in the radar. It doesn't mean that I'm not committed, it doesn't mean that I don't care. I means that I am aware of the choices I am making and how it will effect my over all progress. That extra 500 calories will (in estimation) reduce my loss by .14 of a pound this week. I think I can live with that.

First off the poster put it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Lets not forget everyone isn't alike. I actually agree I think worrying about it in the beginning does show you care and want to have self control. I was the exact same way but as time progressed and I learned a few things and learned to trust the system I didn't and don't worry now. I think the op had gown some really good advice on how to eat out without panicking and in time will learn not to.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

First off the poster put it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Lets not forget everyone isn't alike. I actually agree I think worrying about it in the beginning does show you care and want to have self control. I was the exact same way but as time progressed and I learned a few things and learned to trust the system I didn't and don't worry now. I think the op had gown some really good advice on how to eat out without panicking and in time will learn not to.

I was agreeing with the poster that it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme. I disagree with the thought that worrying about it is necessarily demonstrative of caring about yourself. It CAN be, but it could also be a sign of overcomplicating the issue. I can't say which is the situation for this particular OP. I can say that based on how many posters come here worried about a single meal and then chide themselves for making what they consider to be a horrible mistake, followed by a ridiculous amount of negative self-talk, that this type of behavior can often become more detrimental to accomplishing the goals people are striving towards.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I agree. Its one meal. Do your best to estimate the cals and move on. If you see that you are getting anxiety and panic over going to a restaurant then you may need to start doing some serious thinking and sole searching. Going out to eat should not cause panic.