Tips for the Holidays

Options
I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for eating well and staying fit over the holidays. I am going to be staying with family and the majority of meals are cooked by others, every year there is always a ton of really great food. Also since I am away I won't have access to the gym. I was just wondering if anyone knew any tips that could help me stay on track this season.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's one or two days out of a whole year. Enjoy it! Get back to logging the next day! And don't go crazy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Small plate. Try not to go back for 3rds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Kindly explain to your host your desires. Offer to help with food prep and grocery shopping. Fill your plate with salad, veggies, etc. Walk or run outside.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Eat off a side plate. Try a bit of everything. Save your stomach for the delicious things and don't eat things just to be nice! (I am guilty of this). You don't need to eat some Aunts nasty casserole if it does not appeal - you might just want to have the apple pie as the meal instead :)

I am more worried about my wallet than my waistline this season to be honest. I expect a small stall in loss, but the money I will never get back!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Try to get a couple walks in. If you find yourself sitting around with family/friends having a chat, see if anyone wants to go for a walk with you! Walking will help reduce the time you are debating snacking too.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I'd look over all the food presented at each meal first before serving yourself anything. Find out what you really want, what's not worth it, and keep portions to a minimum.

Get out for walks with family members. Great way to visit and catch up and gets you away from food just sitting out.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    One two days are not going to set you back much.
    Small plates. Single servings. Skip any thing that doesn't sound good the calories you eat should be great. And don't go too crazy.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Eat what and how much I like then back to the grind the next day. Heck, I ate like a horse on Thanksgiving and didn't gain any weight. It does help that the very next day I went back to business as usual with my weight loss plan.
  • cyberiantigeress
    cyberiantigeress Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yup I've been bad the last 2 weeks lol.
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It will be the snacking and grazing, as well as alcohol which will contribute most. Plus with alcohol you make unhealthy choices. Just have a small serving of the things you like when seated at the table, including dessert. No picking, snacking, etc.

If you want to be a bit more careful avoid sauces. Stick to roasted meats, vegetables, healthy fats and some pud if you care to, without the ice cream/brandy butter, etc. Helping in the kitchen or playing with the young ones is also a great way to step away from the table.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My tip for the holidays? Have the BEST time and make the BEST memories. Forget about the food thing - you'll get back on track afterwards :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It depends. How long are you going to be stuck there?
  • shut_up_legs
    shut_up_legs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Take your running shoes or bike and explore some new places.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    My best tip: make sure to put out chemical free chocolate chip cookies and grass fed organic milk for Santa so that he can stay in tip top shape.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    its a couple of days of excess (although for me I'll try not to go too mad on the Christmas pudding/chocolates that are in abundance..)...just enjoy these few days and then get back to tracking your food etc Happy Christmas :smile:
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Since this is going to be a couple of days of meals instead of just 1 meal, I suggest the following:

1 save 100 calories everyday, for a week; that'll give you 700 extra calories those 2 days.

2 if you can bring something of your own, either for yourself or to share, bring it.

3 find anyway you can, to exercise. Before I bought exercise equipment, I began using 2 full jugs of laundry detergent; as dumbbells & offer to help with labor intensive chores, like shoveling snow (depending on where you're).

4 pertaining to the holiday meal, it's most likely going to be a buffet of variety, therefore you can still consume enough calories; by just sampling everything (2 bites, forkfuls, spoonfuls, a shot glass worth, etc.). Eat for taste instead of quantity & also for quality (only what you like).

5 eat 100 calories less everyday, for a week after. So that'll give you a total of 1400 extra calories, to dedicate beyond your daily deficit/maintenance level (depending upon whether you desire to continue to lose weight or just aim to not gain any); those 2 days.
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm going to visit my mum at Christmas time and I'm planning on taking my running gear with me. It's free and you can do it just about anywhere. I've already started planning where I'm going to go for my runs while I'm there, she lives by the sea so there will be some great routes along the beach front.

Definitely watch your portion sizes and if you're snacking in bits and pieces, grab a small handful and when they're gone, no going back for more!

I love the idea someone else suggested about taking the family out for walks, that sounds lovely.