Half Marathon - Training question

Options
I'm sick! I've got a chesty cough/loss of voice and and feel like my lungs aren't as they would be when I'm well... but need to train for a half marathon in February. I am on day 2 of being poorly but wanted to find out from more experienced runners whether it's best to sit back and rest or go out for a run?! Am I being a wimp? Encourage a run? Sit on butt?

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is don't exercise if your illness is chest or below. As you say your lungs/chest are the problem I think you'll have to wait it out.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would start slow and if you feel up to it continue with an easy pace for a few miles. Conventional wisdom says to skip it but unless I am bed ridden with illness I always feel better after a run and a shower.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I sit it out for a day or two. You will not lose any fitness by taking a short break and I don't believe any plan is so rigid that a few days off will throw it off.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I generally follow the chest cold, stay home theory but my last cold took so long i just went out and did a few slow runs. not pushing or trying to do anything. just to get out and stretch my legs.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I was there last year. On the worst day I did not nothing but sleep off the cold meds I had taken. Then I reverted back to just walking while all bundled up. In my head I was doing this just to keep mobile. I have no idea of any true physical benefits. In a few days the cold was gone and I was back to my routine like I never missed a day. Had a successful half marathon a few short weeks later. If you have a regular running schedule under your belt a few missed days won't set you back very far at all.
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I ran a couple of times whilst sick and suffered in the evening for it. In the end I gave myself 4 days "off" and although it was frustrating, my body needed a rest. I have the remnants of a cough now but I am able to run again - albeit not at 100%.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have done Recovery Rate cardio when getting over a cold

I have also done a leg day workout when recovering and ran myself down and got sick again!

Be careful

You can often take 4 days off and come back stronger.

Rest and recovery is always essential, sick just means you need more.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better now :) It's always better to take a couple of days off than make yourself worse, as a few days off training won't hurt your progress but could hurt your health if you don't!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I always feel better when I'm sick going to do a 'yog' or walk. Being outside makes me feel better.

But generally speaking if it's a heavy chest cough- I'd lay low- or just walk... no sense making it worse just to "keep training"
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    General rule of thumb is don't exercise if your illness is chest or below. As you say your lungs/chest are the problem I think you'll have to wait it out.

This.

If you've just got a stuff up/running nose or a light sore throat or something go ahead and run if you want to do. If you've got full on fever or just feel sick systemically, save the training for another day.