How often should you weigh yourself?

Options
Hi everyone,

how often should you weigh yourself? I am staying a lot more often at my boyfriend's now (5 - 7 days a week) and consequently I have no access to any scales. There's a good set at my Dad's but are a pair of scales really a good enough reason for me to go there once a week? hmmm maybe?

Also I'm tight on money at the moment, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced set of scales (I live in London)? I guess it would be worth buying a set for Chris's house too so I don't avoid the scales forever!

So how often do you all weigh yourself?

x

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Any more than that and the fluctuations put me off. And always at the same time of day, always naked. I'm often tempted to weigh during the week (I weigh on Sundays) but I don't want to a) slack off if it's a good number or b) get discouraged if it's not.
  • AlexandraLove
    Options
    I got my scale from Argos - about £20 if I remember correctly. Mine is a simple electronic one, and you can switch between kgs and lbs. They had a few other options, too.

As to how often you should weigh - it depends on your preferences. Some people weigh once a week, some twice. I weigh every day in the morning, because I like to see how my food/exercise/water consumption affects my actual weight.

It's how you feel about it.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    i reccomend only once a week and try to do it at the same time. getting on more often then that is discouraging, because of how much your weight flucutates throughout the week, based on your water intake.
  • SecretlyBatwoman
    SecretlyBatwoman Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, you should only weigh yourself once a week. I weigh myself about a dozen times a day because the fluctuations make me laugh, but I only count my monday morning weigh in.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you "should" weigh once a week. If you have a firm grasp on the fact that fluctuations are natural and can be caused by a number of things including water/time of day, then why do you have to stick to once a week?

As long as you don't have an obsessive nature or disorder then weigh when you want/can.

Studies have shown that those who weigh daily lose more weight, faster, and keep it off longer.
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you "should" weigh once a week. If you have a firm grasp on the fact that fluctuations are natural and can be caused by a number of things including water/time of day, then why do you have to stick to once a week?

As long as you don't have an obsessive nature or disorder then weigh when you want/can.

Studies have shown that those who weigh daily lose more weight, faster, and keep it off longer.

I weigh myself throughout the day and any time there is a loss I record it. I understand about fluctuations, good days, and bad days. The number on the scale makes me hold myself accountable for what I put in my body.
  • AlexandraLove
    Options
    Yes, I definitely use daily weigh-ins to keep myself accountable for what I consume.
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Once a week same time same place will give you the most accurate and true result - weighing everyday is nonsense if you want a true recording of your weight
  • kettlenic
    kettlenic Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Once a week same time same place will give you the most accurate and true result - weighing everyday is nonsense if you want a true recording of your weight
  • uhoh_billy
    uhoh_billy Posts: 94
    Options
    I weigh-in once a week, on Tuesdays, but I also am part of a June challenge where I weigh-in for that on Mondays, but don't put it in MFP. I tend to check a couple times during the week, but I never actually input them into MFP because I feel like it'll mess with my flow hahaha. I just like to check and see "hey I'm stuffed... I wonder if I weigh the same" haha. I'm odd like that
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Once a week at a weight center. Same day, time and clothing.
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    i weight myself once a week at the same time wearing similar clothes.
    the same time is important because your weight varies daily
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food but not myself. I know if I stay with the calorie and exercise goals I set that there will be progress. For me the scale always sabotages me. The number never equals the effort I think I put in. I've suspended weighing or measuring me and only weigh and measure what I consume. In a couple months I may revisit the possibility of weighing me too. I don't advocate not weighing for everyone, just us who eat over the results.
  • leaw24
    leaw24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Same as a lot of people - I weigh myself whenever I feel like it, usually daily, but only track it in MFP weekly.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was in Lloyd's chemist a couple of weeks back & saw these scales - I thought they were alright for the price (£14.99)

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-digital-glass-body-fat-scales-17840
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    I weigh myself most mornings, if I forget to weigh before breakfast and a drink I don't bother. I only log it here once a week or less. The pp who doesn't weigh at all has a point. I was going to weigh and log tomorrow but I may just put the scales away and see how long I can resist without using them. If I stick to my goals I should keep losing and not worry about plateauing. The fluctuation does really put me off.

Try asda smart price or do you have a home and bargains or wilkos? Think they might only be northern shops.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    wilkos do mechanical ones for 3.85 and digital ones for 7.70. Argos do mechanical ones for 3.99
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi I weigh myself daily instead of once a week
  • littlelaurabear
    Options

Oooh thanks, those Lloyds ones look good - they do body fat too! I'll also check out Argos to see if they have anything cheaper!

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try and stick to once a week (if i end up weighing more often, I will resist the urge to log it as it sounds like it'll be an inaccurate reading of a fluctuation more than anything else!).

x
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I do every Thursday morning before eating, after using the restroom, before putting any clothes on. I sometimes will do it more frequently if I have been cheating to try to motivate myself back in tohealthy eating mode. I only log Thursdays though.