weight loss plateau

Options
I was losing a lot of weight and then my loss stopped. Have weighed the same for 2 months. What do i do to keep it going?

Replies

• mikihainesy
    Options
    I've already hit my plateau, week 5, is this normal? good luck getting more weight off
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I wish I knew. I have 4lbs left to lose and I have been stuck for the past 2 months. I know that I should probably up my exercise, but kind of don't feel like it.

The less you have to lose the slower it is.

I am looking forward to all the answers to this one.
  • summer_anne
    Options
    What are you doing for your workouts? You need to switch it up because your body gets used to it! try switching up your meals too :)
  • Toyya
    Toyya Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can change your workout routine, you don't not necessarily have to up it, or just make what you do more intense (i.e. pushing yourself) can help. I remember a personal trainer saying just changing the times you workout (like from the morning to the evening or vice versa) can challenge your body. I get plateaus often (for like a few weeks), and then I"ll just drop weight quickly for a week. Let me know how things work out for your guys!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i hit my first plateau week 5 after losing 10 lbs. i've lost 3 more and have been stuck again for the last week and a half. as much as i work out, zig zag calories and change routine it hasnt helped. Just keep with it. Your body will let go of the weight when its ready. Just keep holding up your end of the deal!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You can either increase intensity or change variety of your workouts since your body does get used to it. Or if youre at a gym, show your food log to a nutritionist or a trainer and they can evaluate youre meals.

I plateaud for 3 yrs and after a my trainer & nutrionist saw my log, im starting to lose weight again

good luck
  • candis30
    candis30 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks! Didn't think of that. I'm going to switch it up.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs then just leveled out for over a year. I didn't gain it back, but wasn't losing either. I think my body and mind needed to be ready to move downward again. This spring I got motivated to start losing again. I added weight training to my routine and I have been very strict with logging everything I eat, even on days I'm not doing so well. I have started to lose again and it feels good. I am going to finally reach my goal this year. (Hopefully before I go back to school in the fall...I teach)