cheaper HRM's

Options
i really want a heart rate monitor but can't afford anything expensive, are cheaper ones any good? i've found one on ebay with a chest strap that i could afford but i'm not sure if it would be a waste of money. here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180679806595&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Replies

• crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would not waste your money on a cheap one....save save save until you have enough for a better one, trust me it's worth it. I have the Polar FT4 and paid $93 for it, and yes I saved for it too. It is soooo worth it. love it to death!
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart for $14.99. It's also a pedometer and counts calories you burn, tells time, has a stop watch, basically everything lol. Plus, it's my fav color blue :) It's really awesome and I love it.
  • GettingThisDone100
    GettingThisDone100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I got a $30 one at walmart - ended up taking it back because I just couldn't believe the calorie counts it was coming up with.
    Then I got the polar FT4 and I love it. Lost 4lbs the first week I had it :happy:

Edited to add: The Polar showed 4x's the calories burned as the walmart one.
  • brittanyscherich
    Options
    I got a $30 one at walmart - ended up taking it back because I just couldn't believe the calorie counts it was coming up with.
    Then I got the polar FT4 and I love it. Lost 4lbs the first week I had it :happy:

Did the Walmart one have an option where you could input your weight? Mine did, and the calories burned are right around where mfp says, and also the treadmill I use.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart for $14.99. It's also a pedometer and counts calories you burn, tells time, has a stop watch, basically everything lol. Plus, it's my fav color blue :) It's really awesome and I love it.

Dont believe anything this tells you. It is completely inaccurate, pedometers are historically inaccurate and bases your calories on steps, so you can only imagine how inaccurate this is.

They have cheaper HRM's, but unfortunately with this, you need to spend the money what you pay for is what you get. If you want to chance your weight loss and cardiac health on a 15.00 walmart HRM (That ive tried) than go ahead. It is a complete utter waste of money. Trust me on this. Ive been around for a while now.

Polar is the best. They have some models for about 75.00. I bought a Polar FT7 and it is amazingly good!!
  • nebraskadan
    Options
    I don't know if you are a runner, but I got the Garmin Forerunner 305 for about $120 with free shipping off of Amazon. It's came with a great wireless HRM that connect to the watch and then you can upload it to their website. It's worked for me, I've lost an additional 30 lbs. since I got it in February.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA

Good luck!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Did the Walmart one have an option where you could input your weight? Mine did, and the calories burned are right around where mfp says, and also the treadmill I use.

Theres the problem right there, treadmills and MFP are also inaccurate. Treadmills are closer to what your burn is, but you cant be sure. Some are correct some arent. My Polar FT7 Interacts with my gyms treadmills so I can read my calories and HRM right on the treadmill because my HRM is telling it information. Pretty cool!!!
  • JannineOwen
    JannineOwen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input everyone, much appreciated, i'm just gonna have to be patient and wait......and wait........and wait lol, i just can't afford to buy a polar or similar and probably won't be able to for quite sometime, i'll try and save up and treat myself, maybe for every pound i lose i could put some money in a jar, that could be a great incentive :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said.. and don't get a pedometer that counts calories... you'l only be doing more harm then good.

I know that some people have found brand new Polars for cheap on E-bay.. so keep surfing around and maybe you'll hit a deal.
    The most important thing your looking for is that it has a chest strap and lets you input your height, weight, age and sex.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i bougt mine for £20 sterling from lloyds pharmacy - i input my weight and age and the kcals burned are the same as the machines at the gym when i stand and set them up properly

at the end of the day my joueny for me is part diet and part exercise - i dont eat back my exercise kcals so whether it tells me i burn 200 or 2000, i still stay under my 1600kcals goal MFP sets me

something is better than nothing for me - we dont all have disposable income

i've lost 29lbs in 9 weeks so mine is working for me - may not be spot on, but its helping me get a GUIDE to what i'm birning
  • brittanyscherich
    Options

Dont believe anything this tells you. It is completely inaccurate, pedometers are historically inaccurate and bases your calories on steps, so you can only imagine how inaccurate this is.

They have cheaper HRM's, but unfortunately with this, you need to spend the money what you pay for is what you get. If you want to chance your weight loss and cardiac health on a 15.00 walmart HRM (That ive tried) than go ahead. It is a complete utter waste of money. Trust me on this. Ive been around for a while now.

Polar is the best. They have some models for about 75.00. I bought a Polar FT7 and it is amazingly good!!

Spending $75 on a HRM is a waste of money to me. Just to calculate how many cals you lost? I'm a student so every dollar counts. And that's just way too much. It's a ridiculous amount of money to spend on that, at least in my opinion. I stated my opinion. I love my HRM. It's works awesomely, and it's affordable. My boss bought some Polar HRM for around $100 and it kept resetting itself and didn't even work after a month. I told her about the Walmart one, she bought that and loves it just like I do.

Oh, and on mine I can input how long my stride is, all kinds of info. So I do think the reading is precise and accurate. I don't have a whole lot of experience with your expensive HRM, just like it's evident that you don't have any experience with the one that I own.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here is some info for anyone looking to purchase a HRM........

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked a few days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 (another popular HRM with members on here) is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline from Wal-mart with a chest strap. I didn't originally purchase it for the calorie count, as I just wanted to be able to monitor my heart rate. As for the calorie counting, it allows the user to enter height, weight, sex, age and the counts are quite different (lower usually) than MFP. From some other sites, they are close to what those sites figure it to be. I realize that without the VO2 Max number, the estimates are not as good as they could be, but they are not bad. I believe it cost me about $50. In my opinion it was not a waste. Are Polar's better (at least the higher end ones) certainly, and I would like to get one someday I think. For now the one I have works fine and the customer support has been amazing as well.