Tracking when working nights.

Options
I'm sure there are already posts about this, but...

If any of you work night shift, do you track a day as midnight to midnight or from when you get up to when you go to bed? I've been tracking my day based on when I'm awake (I work 7pm to 7am), but it's making some days look really calorie heavy and others look way too low depending on whether I'm working, off, or on my transitioning back to/from my day/night schedule. I'm considering trying tracking midnight to midnight. Just wondering what others do.

Replies

• mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My husband works third shift and I have to track all of his carbs due to type 2 diabetes. Over the years we've found it easiest to track from midnight to midnight even on his 'days' off. I hope that helps.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I track midnight to midnight so that it is always consistent (especially since my shift start times can vary), and it matches up with my vivosmart. I relabeled meals to 12am-6am, 6am-12pm, 12pm-6pm, 6pm-12am instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Focus on weekly daily averages and the day to day fluctuations go away.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I track midnight to midnight. But my meals are labeled for the 3 periods of the day that I eat. It's open if you want to see it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Midnight to midnight. Regardless if I am working or not.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When I worked straight overnights, I tracked from when I got up to when I went to bed. But when I switched back and forth every week, I switched to midnight -to- midnight because it was simpler.
  • kdblpn
    kdblpn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I work nights and i log from 3pm to 3 pm, even on my days off. It works better for me.
  • afoster9386
    afoster9386 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I work overnights 8p to 6a and I track midnight to midnight as well, regardless if I work or not.
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Midnight to midnight.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I track whatever I eat whenever I eat it on whatever day it falls on. People worry about this way too much...