How does this work?

Options
Ok I entered my info and mfp gave me 1840 calories a day, my coworker has lost so much weight from this app and she tell me you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within or under your allotted calories that kinda confuses me. So you can eat chips drink soda etc. And still lost weight?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, you can eat what you want within that calorie limit and lose weight.

You may find with time and experience that some foods keep you feeling full longer, or fuel your workouts better than other foods.

ETA: Accuracy in logging is pretty important as you progress as well. This is a great read for logging accurately:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes. Weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out. Consume less calories than you burn. You could eat snickers all day for 1840 calories and lose weight, though I don't advise it. A balanced diet with a few treats is the way to go, health wise.
  • saun86
    saun86 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thx guys I love this and the junk I eat o go burn it off on my breaks lol!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes you can eat chips, cookies and ice cream and if you stay within your allotted calorie limit you will lose weight. However you won't be doing your body any good. What is the point of losing weight and improving one's health if done in an unhealthy way.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The things is, you can eat nothing but chips and soda but you'll probably be hungry and cranky. I'd try for a nice well rounded diet with some chips and soda thrown in, but not as the bulk of your calories.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    saun86 wrote: »

As others have said, you can indeed eat whatever you want, and still lose weight as long as you burn more calories than you consume. (Personally, I feel much happier choosing less calorie-dense foods though, so that I don't feel hungry all the time!)

I also just want to mention that most people here recommend that you eat back only about half of the exercise calories that you earn, because the number of calories it tells people they burned from exercise are usually much higher than the true amount. So if you're planning to burn off some calories during your breaks, it's good to keep that in mind.
  • Nancyannjurczak
    Nancyannjurczak Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    remember you are what you eat you want to eat a healthy balance so our bodies can preform to its fullest throughout our years.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

No you probably won't burn it off. If you log accurately and measure the calorie burn from your activity accurately you will likely find that you are unable to exercise away a poor diet.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

No you probably won't burn it off. If you log accurately and measure the calorie burn from your activity accurately you will likely find that you are unable to exercise away a poor diet.

This.
    I only eat a food scale weighed portion of potato chips if I KNOW I can commit, or have already committed, 30-40 minutes of some form of activity. And that's just for potato chips. I would get NO enjoyment out of a soda of any kind. It's not worth the time/effort to ingest.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your coworker is clueless! Sure you can lose weight on Snickers bars, but it will be also muscle - not what you want! ;)