Ditching Weight Watchers and doing just MFP? Is it possible ;)

Options

Replies

• lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think your mind is telling you it is time to be self-accountable which is great. Take some time to learn how the body reacts to all foods. Learn about each type of carbohydrate, learn about fatty acids, amino acids, maybe pick up some fish oil pills once you learn a bit more about the omega3's. Play with some intermittent fasting and see if that makes eating easier for you. My best days are a 200cal hemp/whey protein shake in the morning with coffee, then lunch is a coffee, then I eat like a champ from 6-11pm. I love going to bed stuffed which makes up for the fasting all day. Of course sometimes I need an additional shake/food mid-day, but I'm just stating my best days are big fasts. Find out your best strategy. Don't worry too much about the glycemic index, but do track your calories as that is the default method to keep track of the molecules you stuff down your throat. Remember, you are eating carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and then you breathe off those molecules after a reaction in the form of carbon dioxide. If you eat more of these molecules than you breathe out you will gain weight :)

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Any plan that takes money to gain accountability is just hoping for your need for long term reliance IMO. You could have full accountability through real life friends, MFP or other social network friends, or just on a personal level.

Virtually every diet has restrictions of some sort, and the more you reduce the restrictions the better IMO. Personally I think the more you learn how to adapt and use less tracking, logging, points, etc, the more you move towards freedom from all of it. And you can do that and still keep accountability. Or if that is too much, something here like MFP and logging is great accountability with more freedoms than a lot of others diets.

Find what drives and motivates you best, and do it. The same applies to exercise if you choose to add it. There is no right or wrong if your diet fits your goals. And for the love of donuts, avoid all the diet myths and embrace science and studies the prove all the myths to be just that.
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hooey! I started WW when I wasn't overweight but thought I was. It was in 1970 when it was so restrictive and the food so awful, actually starving seemed a better alternative. So, yes, I quit them then. Went back two or three times over the years, quit them each time because I didn't like the meetings and didn't like the program. I even tried it a couple years ago when it was okay to eat whatever as long as it was within the 'points' range. Keeping up with all the points in this and that was a total pain. I'm sorry if you are a WW devotee and I'm stepping on your toes. They are just not for me. Nor were any of the other 15 DIETS I tried. I lost weight on each of them, but gained it back every time because it was a diet. WW is a diet, in my opinion. I came to MFP by way of the nutritionist/dietitian at the bariatric surgery center I went to because I was so frustrated I was considering gastric sleeve surgery. The nutritionist gave me the MFP app, which I figured I would never do because it surely would be another failure. But I did try it and I have lost 43 pounds and didn't do the surgery. It's taken me a year, but it's off. I'm fighting it now because of the holidays. But it's easier this time. I just do not feel like I am on a diet anymore. I eat pretty much anything, but watch the calories for the day. I do limit the carbs. I know I would lose more if I limited them more. But I AM NOT GOING TO DENY MYSELF ANY FOOD ANYMORE! I have done it long enough. I use portion control and exercise. I have just over 60 more pounds to lose and if it takes me another year, then it does. At least I know it will be gone for good. I think I started this little story to begin with to tell you that I partially blame WW for me gaining 100 pounds! I went to them when I most certainly was not overweight and not one person there bothered to tell me so. I'm 5'9" tall and weighed 150 pounds. That is not fat. I wore a size 10/12. In today's world, that is 'plus size,' but it is not. I look at pix of myself from then and I could cry because I was not overweight and the folks at WW assured me I was and needed to lose 30 pounds. Really? Had I aspired to be a high fashion model, probably needed to lose 30 and more. But I was a wife, the mom of an 18-month-old, and going to college five days a week. I thought I was overweight because I had lost all but 8 pounds of my baby weight. Anyway, not a fan of WW. Rant over.
  • fionethompson
    fionethompson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    i was very successful on WW. I think I joined and joined again several times and each time I lost weight. I put the weight back on not because I left WW but because I went back to my old eating habits after I lost. It is a good program that works but it is too expensive. MFP works as long as you work. Counting calories or counting points it all comes down to Calories in and Calories out. Accurately weighing and measuring food, exercise and a positive mindset will help you to lose weight. Do what works for you and good luck!!!

• Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think you will be fine just using MFP and having your trainer.
  • roadrunner432
    roadrunner432 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had success on both but I think I like FP best. I really hate the meetings at WW. Please friend me.
  • joannedawn2015
    joannedawn2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    U can def eat more here than weight watchers didn't like meeting at all. Think u should eat foods u enjoy. Have ur treats. Stick to ur calories. I walk my dog at the minuet that's it. I use to exercise to Rosemary Conley DVDs. Just got them out again. I loved them as u can do short workouts r the whole workout.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off and on again and off.....and on (you get the point) Weight Watchers for years. I am tired of paying them and this new plan of theirs is just too restrictive. I have learned portion control and good eating habits through the plan but I am so afraid of not having weekly accountability though I get nothing out of the meetings. I have a personal trainer who is awesome with nutrition, I would rather pay him than WW....has anyone here stopped WW and had success with MFP? You know in WW meetings they say, you will fail if you leave, I am so afraid to cut that cord!!

I've not been a WW member, but these two things in bold concern me about WW.

MFP is free (for now), and I think what you're asking is possible. I wish you well! :)
  • smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been an on again, off again member of WW for almost all my life. My first time I went I was in my early 20's...I am now 60. I have reached "goal" and " lifetime " twice while on the WW plan.
    I am not slamming the WW plan, it is just that I think it is great for when you want to loose weight, but there is little support and infrastructure when you have reached your desired gosl ( I.e. no longer have to pay). I have been on MFP since last Feb. They offer great support through the community forums, and an infrastructure that helps you both loosr and maintain through friend, and food diaries, with lots of a food database. I have recently list 10 pounds, which puts me back in the normal bmi range through MFP, and walking using a fitbit flex. I love using both if these tools in tandem. And for me right now, this is working, and I am not going back another time to WW, unless they change the way they support lifetime membership.

• DiamndMnd
    DiamndMnd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have never been on WW but have used MFP in the past successfully. I think you can do anything you set your mind too. You don't need someone there telling you this or that. It's what you tell yourself. Of course with staying healthy and fit you need to create good habits for yourself but you can do it without WW. If I can do it so can you!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    smelbo wrote: »
    I have been an on again, off again member of WW for almost all my life. My first time I went I was in my early 20's...I am now 60. I have reached "goal" and " lifetime " twice while on the WW plan.
    I am not slamming the WW plan, it is just that I think it is great for when you want to loose weight, but there is little support and infrastructure when you have reached your desired gosl ( I.e. no longer have to pay). I have been on MFP since last Feb. They offer great support through the community forums, and an infrastructure that helps you both loosr and maintain through friend, and food diaries, with lots of a food database. I have recently list 10 pounds, which puts me back in the normal bmi range through MFP, and walking using a fitbit flex. I love using both if these tools in tandem. And for me right now, this is working, and I am not going back another time to WW, unless they change the way they support lifetime membership.

As a lifetime member that is currently 16 pounds under my goal weight, I couldn't agree with you more here. I go monthly just to weigh in and that's it. There are two receptionists at the desk who are nice when I first walk in, but then have nothing nice to say once they see that I am still under the goal weight that they set many years ago. I guess when they can't make money off of you, they no longer care. I use to use MFP to maintain. But since getting my Fitbit One, I just use that now since it is working out well and has all of the info that I need right now. That said, I do love coming here to MFP as I think the community is a great place for support as well.
  • skipwa
    skipwa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been successful on WW for the past few years. I'm taking a break right now because I greatly dislike the new tracker they've recently rolled out. I'm well intentioned but rarely go to meetings and have been weighing in weekly at home. Changing the homepage and tracker is a deal breaker for me though, it's not at all user friendly, and time to try something different.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I did WW online program 10 years ago for 3 months and I lost about 22 lbs. I've since gained it all back not because I stopped being a member, but because I stopped tracking my food and paying attention to what I ate and drank. With WW, there was no "magical formula" other than I counted points and tracked food intake diligently. I can track my calories here on MFP just the same, but here I don't have to bother with "points" or pay for the privilege of tracking. It's really up to you. If you "work" the program, it will work for you. Just track your calorie intake, stay within your range, and you'll be successful.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have been on and off and on again and off.....and on (you get the point) Weight Watchers for years. I am tired of paying them and this new plan of theirs is just too restrictive. I have learned portion control and good eating habits through the plan but I am so afraid of not having weekly accountability though I get nothing out of the meetings. I have a personal trainer who is awesome with nutrition, I would rather pay him than WW....has anyone here stopped WW and had success with MFP? You know in WW meetings they say, you will fail if you leave, I am so afraid to cut that cord!!

I found that I did better without WW. Yes, I lost on their plan but I did not keep it off and I was not healthy. The points system is just another way to count calories but it really does not teach you about nutrition nearly as much as MFP does. The original exchange system did an OK job of that, but when they changed to the points, the emphasis switched away from nutritional balance.

Counting calories is why I have lost as much as I did. Counting macros is why I am still going and healthier than I have been in decades. With WW, I ate for the bulk. How big of a plate of food could I get for my points? I ended up too low in protein and too low in fat. I was always hungry and eventually gave in to binges. I also lost about 1/2 of my hair and my skin looked old and crepe-like. With MFP, I am much more balanced and feeling good. I also look pretty darn good, considering how much I have lost so far and how much loose skin I have.

58841349.png
  • metalchic72
    metalchic72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you and yes I totally get that you're saying about fill that plate and not enough of the good stuff. The new plan tries to get you to eat more protein but still caters to fake foods.
  • bjcfinn55
    bjcfinn55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did WW. It's good because it offers a community for support. But i can't afford it, and it is hard to go to meetings at night. So MFP offers a community. Everyone here understands the struggles. In other words, you can get it all here.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many of you are here that are experiencing the same fear and concerns as I have been feeling and thinking. I have heard the same thing said that if you leave you'll gain weight. I think we need a support group for those wanting to leave but are afraid to. lol. It's kind of sick really. I stopped going to meetings because the info has gotten so stupid really. I was doing online only. Thank you all for sharing.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on the old Weight Watchers points system, had children, and then lost 60 pounds over 2 years on Points Plus. I took some time off as I have a sick child and I came back ready to get to lifetime. I have 7 pounds to go. They changed to smart points and I feel absolutely leveled by this. It feels soooo restrictive to me. To have a piece of chocolate "cost" 14 points, and have only 16 points left for the day seems restrictive and a recipe for binging. For two weeks now I've done smart points, and have gone off plan as I see myself go in to the negative points far too easily. I have been obsessed with this change...reading blogs and the fb posts by visitors and talking to people at my meetings. My leader says that as soon as Oprah releases her commercial on the 22nd that people will be lining up out the door. I believe it. And it's not that I think that this diet isn't healthy. It is. (Well, I do have some major concerns. Some people will still choose "poor" choices and that will put them at 1000 calories a day. Lots of people are finding that. You of course will be around 1250 if you fill up on proteins and low fat things, but some people won't do this. Also, there stance is that you are NOT to eat your points that you gain for working out, unless you are a triathlete. So, when I burn 450 calories in an intense workout, I am NOT to eat those calories. That is very concerning. There are times when it's needed to eat those calories. Now, they are saying that you can, but they don't encourage it. It is my suspicion that they are giving people fit points so easily now so that people can use them and still find a way to do this plan without dropping out). Anyway, even as I write these things I'm on the fence as to what to do. Perhaps I'll use the new plan to drop the last 7 pounds and then move to calorie counting with MFP, so that food doesn't remain so mysterious. Perhaps I'll just start calorie counting now with MFP and stop paying for WW. Perhaps I'll use one of the apps I downloaded with the old points systems. It's all very scary and I'm unsure. I think the new plan will be wonderful for many people, but I'm thinking that it might just feel too restrictive for me and cause me to want to eat that chocolate because I'm being told that it'll cost me an arm and a leg of smart points.
  • metalchic72
    metalchic72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    luvmybee wrote: »
    I lost 50 pounds on the old Weight Watchers points system, had children, and then lost 60 pounds over 2 years on Points Plus. I took some time off as I have a sick child and I came back ready to get to lifetime. I have 7 pounds to go. They changed to smart points and I feel absolutely leveled by this. It feels soooo restrictive to me. To have a piece of chocolate "cost" 14 points, and have only 16 points left for the day seems restrictive and a recipe for binging. For two weeks now I've done smart points, and have gone off plan as I see myself go in to the negative points far too easily. I have been obsessed with this change...reading blogs and the fb posts by visitors and talking to people at my meetings. My leader says that as soon as Oprah releases her commercial on the 22nd that people will be lining up out the door. I believe it. And it's not that I think that this diet isn't healthy. It is. (Well, I do have some major concerns. Some people will still choose "poor" choices and that will put them at 1000 calories a day. Lots of people are finding that. You of course will be around 1250 if you fill up on proteins and low fat things, but some people won't do this. Also, there stance is that you are NOT to eat your points that you gain for working out, unless you are a triathlete. So, when I burn 450 calories in an intense workout, I am NOT to eat those calories. That is very concerning. There are times when it's needed to eat those calories. Now, they are saying that you can, but they don't encourage it. It is my suspicion that they are giving people fit points so easily now so that people can use them and still find a way to do this plan without dropping out). Anyway, even as I write these things I'm on the fence as to what to do. Perhaps I'll use the new plan to drop the last 7 pounds and then move to calorie counting with MFP, so that food doesn't remain so mysterious. Perhaps I'll just start calorie counting now with MFP and stop paying for WW. Perhaps I'll use one of the apps I downloaded with the old points systems. It's all very scary and I'm unsure. I think the new plan will be wonderful for many people, but I'm thinking that it might just feel too restrictive for me and cause me to want to eat that chocolate because I'm being told that it'll cost me an arm and a leg of smart points.

Oh my did you read my mind? This is so how I feel about it. It's very restrictive but like you said good for some. The tech issues didn't help either. I was obsessing over everything I ate since the new plan came out. Should not be this difficult to live!! Thanks!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Oh my did you read my mind? This is so how I feel about it. It's very restrictive but like you said good for some. The tech issues didn't help either. I was obsessing over everything I ate since the new plan came out. Should not be this difficult to live!! Thanks!

Exactly why I chose to not go back this time. I needed to change my life and my habits, not spend so much time obsessing over points and restrictions, etc.

I do agree that it is good for some. Each person has to work with what works for them and there is no One Way to lose weight. The National Weight Control Registry has some fascinating research findings and one that is pertinent to this discussion is that "45% of registry participants lost the weight on their own and the other 55% lost weight with the help of some type of program." http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm I can't see where they break down what program was used by those who did lose on one, but I am sure WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc are all among them.