Questions about making Ghee/Clarified butter

Options
Hi! :) I am looking to start using ghee/clarified for a Whole30 challenge starting in January and I have a few questions. I would like to make a quantity of ghee so that I can have it on hand and not have to make it everytime I cook. So I have threeish questions I am hoping MFPers can help with.

1. From what I understand, after simmering, it separates into three parts and you want the middle section. I skimmed off the foam, but am not sure how to get the middle portion and what does the bottom portion look like anyway?

2. When it cools, does it solidify like butter?

3. Does it need to be refrigerated?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The stuff on the bottom sticks to the pan. Yes it sets harder than butter and might be better in the fridge but keeps a while at room temperature.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You can buy ghee from any Indian grocery store. Sometimes even Persian grocery stores will have it. Or in the international section of a large grocery chain.

I've never seen my mom or grand ma make ghee. They just buy it... Much easier.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Oh - and the ghee that you buy stays solid at room temperature and doesn't get stored in the fridge.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You boil the butter till it reaches honey color and all the froth solidifies and sticks to the bottom. Once the solids settle down take it off the heat. Then use a strainer or thin cloth like cheesecloth for eg and strain the liquid. The ghee solidifies at room temperature. There is no need to keep it refrigerated. It stays good for weeks outside.
  • sureitstime
    sureitstime Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Drop in a clove or two while boiling. A tip from my MIL who has been making forever now!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    wow making your own ghee

that's like stuffing mushrooms, life's too short :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I make it in the crockpot. Pound of butter (or more, just depends how much you want to make!), cook uncovered on high for 3-5 hours until the solids separate, brown and harden; scoop 'em off, strain the end product through several layers of cheesecloth. Yeah it takes extra time but you don't have to stand over the stove heating up your kitchen either (which is a real trouble issue in my house and geographic location)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Microwave! Dump butter in a micro dish with lid. Put lid on (but not tight.....you want steam to escape but don't want to clean up butter splatters).....my microwave takes 6 minutes but yours may vary.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You can buy ghee from any Indian grocery store. Sometimes even Persian grocery stores will have it. Or in the international section of a large grocery chain.

I've never seen my mom or grand ma make ghee. They just buy it... Much easier.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    wow making your own ghee

that's like stuffing mushrooms, life's too short :)

Ghee is one of the simplest things to make! Takes minutes and virtually no work.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like to add olive oil to my ghee. Good flavor and a good consistency.