Fitbit...yes or no

Options
I am thinking about getting one but I don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts on it?

I believe it would motivate me but again don't have a ton of money to spend.

Thanks.

Replies

• CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin vivofit and I really like it. It is motivating and makes me walk more.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I can't sing the praises of fitbit charge Hr enough. I love it. It motivates me, keeps me active, and the calorie burn readings are indeed accurate for me and are super helpful in my weight loss!!
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit charge HR. I love mine so far.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge HR since end of November, no complaints so far. It appears the calories burned and my little iPod and input into myfitnesspal were all matching about the same.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the money, then I say pass.

I thought about buying one myself, but came to the conclusion that I can achieve all of the same results and retrieve all of the data I need with what I have now. I use MFP and my weight change to calculate TDEE (sure, it is a few weeks behind, but it is as accurate as you are going to get), which I use to verify that my original estimate was correct. I could track steps taken with my Nexus 5's built in pedometer, but don't bother anyways, but I do use the GPS to track intentional runs/walks outside. I primary lift weights, so the HR monitor wouldn't really benefit me, and even then when I do run my HR is meaningless information for my goals. I don't target a HR while exercising, I target just making it the next minute without dying.

I mean, if a fancy $80-150 gadget that prints out some cool charts and info will motivate you to exercise, then it is worth it, but in my mind it isn't really all that useful for most people.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Meh, I've had 2. They didn't motivate me to do anything more than I already do.

Fitbit One was my first. I liked it well enough and wore it religiously, except to shower. I basically wanted something to tell me what my TDEE was so I could set my calorie goal here accordingly. I did NOT like having it synced here; it never gave me enough calories. My main form of exercise is lifting and it didn't read that as exercise; I think I got like 50 extra calories for it. I liked it because it could be hidden (I clipped it to my bra). However, after about 6 months of getting the same data I stopped wearing it.

About a year and a half later I impulse bought a Charge HR. This monstrosity went on my wrist and gave me the same data I got from my Fitbit One. I'm not sure what I was looking for it to do, but it definitely didn't do anything more for me than my old Fitbit (ok, the HR part was more, but I wasn't using that for anything either). I stopped wearing this one after about 3 months. I'm not big on wrist things either, so that was just one more reason I didn't like it.

If you're a gadget person, you'd probably like it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have the little Fitbit and clip it to my slacks. It's totally motivated me to park my car far away from the store and walk more. I love it. I use a chest HR monitor. I track my calories separately.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's a link to the FitBit users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Tons of information there. Price ranges depend upon how many bells & whistles you want.

I have a FitBit One ($80). If I ever had to replace it, I would probably get a FitBit Zip ($40)

The differences are the One calculates flights of stairs and monitors sleep, the Zip doesn't. In hindsight these are not big selling points for me. A HR model would help you with workouts that are not step based. But wrist model activity trackers can skip steps, or give them to you based on arm movements.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and it is the best tracker that I've had to date. I've had many of them including the Fitbit Charge and HR, FB Flex, and the Vivofit 2. The Fitbit One is my favorite because I don't have to wear it on my wrist other than for sleeping. It does everything that my HR did except monitor my HR for which my Polar chest strap does a better job at, imho. The One calculates my sleep at night and calories burned throughout the day so there is never any guess work as to what my activity level actually is. I now have a activity tracker that I'll wear every day and night that I like. I would recommend the Fitbit One in a heartbeat for anyone who wants a tracker that they don't have to wear on their wrist everyday. :)
  • JenR1008
    JenR1008 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer on my Samsung. I feel like that might do the same as the Fitbit. I think there are heart rate apps out there, yes?
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    There are cheaper activity trackers that do more, like go underwater - Misfit's Flash is $18 at the moment. There are apps that track your steps, and if you're someone that takes your phone when you walk or run, then that's probably going to be just as good as any other thing. Anything with a heart rate monitor is a bit more pricey. Accuracy of all of these things is debatable.

Motivation is mainly what you're paying for - confirmation data that lets you compete with yourself, and maybe others, to improve. Fitbit seems to have one of the best data collection systems & connections to motivate people. For myself, I find my Misfit mildly motivating, but I don't get a lot of data confirmation to compete with others. Fitbit seems to be better.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have been using a Fitbit One for about 7 months. I have been generally pleased with it except the logistics of the sleep tracking. Although the band for sleep tracking is adjustable, I have a small wrist and having to wrap it around more gets it worn out. My tracker started to malfunction a couple months ago, and Fitbit replaced it for me. If they hadn't sent me a new one, I would be getting ready to order another wristband.
  • JenR1008
    JenR1008 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was checking out the Fitbit app. I am doing some my research for myself. It's seems it's 50/50 between those that like it and those that do not. If I can find a used one I might give it a shot. Is that weird?
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I religiously wear my fitbit charge hr.... my friends and I are constantly challenging each other! It's a wonderful motivation.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR.

I don't use it expecting motivation.

I love it for the data. Data rocks!

If you're worried about price, I got mine at nearly half price using a savings code I got from eBay at a store that was already having a sale. It pays to read your promotional emails!

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have a zip now. It's my second favorite after the bodymedia core, which is useless because they no long make it (my bands are broken). So I guess that makes the zip my favorite. I had a flex, but it didn't fit into my work environment at all.
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the One. It clips to your pants/bra. I didn't expect it but I love it and it has changed how I think about daily activities. I now walk in the rain, pitch black night, when I am waiting for soccer games to start, I wake up thinking how I am gonna get my steps in- all so I can beat my friends! I have gone from about 5,000 steps to 11.000 daily step count in about 3 months.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JenR1008 wrote: »
    I believe it would motivate me but again don't have a ton of money to spend.

I wouldn't bother, the Samsung health app is prefectly capable.

My VivoSmart doesn't tell me anythhing I didn't already know. It just quantifies it.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge hr. ...love it. ...wish I'd got one sooner! :wink: