Best additive to help with fullness?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

I've heard that Flax Seed, Whey Protein, and Chia seed were super effective in keeping you full longer. After I eat yogurt or oatmeal, I find myself still hungry. So I was thinking of getting 1 or two of these products to add in the oatmeal and yogurt to help keep me fuller for longer. But I was wondering, do they really help make you that much fuller? Are they worth getting just for fullness? Which one is the most effective in making you the full? Also let me know if you have any other suggestions that are better for keeping someone full.

I know Whey has a lot of protein and it's really good for building muscle. But that isn't my primary purpose for it, so please don't base your opinion only on that. I just want to know which is the best for staying full. :)

I was also wondering one more thing. Which is better for making and keeping you more full, 0% fat Greek yogurt, or low-fat like 5%, 10%, or even a higher percent?

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I'll have ground flax seed on occasion and whey protein in a smoothie but they do not fill me up. Haven't tried chia seeds. Honestly, just drinking water seems to work just fine. Best of luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    All these things have calories, and a lot of them. So, maybe eating something completely different might be a better approach if oatmeal is not working for you.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Glucomannan.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    Best additive to help with fullness?

Veggies.

I add veggies to most meals. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,140 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    All these things have calories, and a lot of them. So, maybe eating something completely different might be a better approach if oatmeal is not working for you.
    That's what I'm thinking - find other foods that do make you feel full.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    chia seeds help, veggies of course, fruits, and psyllium husk fiber, aka metamucil.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bulk makes me feel fuller so I eat larger quantities of non starchy veggies, especially steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    To me, once you start adding all these things into oatmeal and yogurt, it becomes so high calorie and still not that filling. Why don't you try something else? Greek yogurt does fill me up, but I choose 0% and eat at least 227 grams at once. Oatmeal I will not touch. Otherwise, high volume of vegetables and lean meat are very filling.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Satiety is very personal, so what works for one person may not work for another. That said, oatmeal always left me feeling hungry, but last week I tried adding a scoop of protein powder, and I felt full for much longer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I need a mix of protein, fat, fiber, and carbs to feel full. This mixture is different for everyone, but here are some general tips: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

I use protein powder, flax, and/or chia seeds in different foods to boost different macros.

I add chia seeds to smoothies, and let them sit in liquids for about 10 minutes first. I also add protein powder.

Oatmeal has some fiber, plus slow release carbs, so to that I add fat and protein.

Yogurt has some protein, but I'd need to add more if it were a meal rather than a bedtime snack. For that, I add fiber.

For breakfast I have something higher protein and fat like eggs (and veggies), a protein shake with fat and fiber, or a sandwich if I am pressed for time.

This is my current favorite bedtime snack:

zd31yyl8tsnb.jpg
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I've heard that Flax Seed, Whey Protein, and Chia seed were super effective in keeping you full longer. After I eat yogurt or oatmeal, I find myself still hungry. So I was thinking of getting 1 or two of these products to add in the oatmeal and yogurt to help keep me fuller for longer. But I was wondering, do they really help make you that much fuller? Are they worth getting just for fullness? Which one is the most effective in making you the full? Also let me know if you have any other suggestions that are better for keeping someone full.

I know Whey has a lot of protein and it's really good for building muscle. But that isn't my primary purpose for it, so please don't base your opinion only on that. I just want to know which is the best for staying full. :)

I was also wondering one more thing. Which is better for making and keeping you more full, 0% fat Greek yogurt, or low-fat like 5%, 10%, or even a higher percent?

For me.. I eat 15-18 grams of fiber, and I am good. I don't feel full, but I don't have the erg to eat
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for sharing your experience :) I bought some Flaxseeds to try! I believe they are about 55 calories per 10 grams, so they are high on calories. I will try them in my oatmeal and see if they make a difference. If not, then I will try something else. :)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I add peanut powder to my oatmeal. I use to ad peanut butter...this is easier to dissolve and get the protein boost.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I found flax and chia seeds to have the exact opposite effect of being filling. Yes, they can be filling (and delicious in case of chia pudding) but I gauge a food's filling effect by dividing the number of calories in that food by average number of minutes it usually keeps me full (yes I'm a nerd and I love data.) I found chia and flax seeds to be too expensive calorie-wise compared to other foods on the "filling" meter. I still have chia pudding every once in awhile, but just because I love the way it tastes.

The thing about these kinds of questions is that this is so individual that you would have to try things for yourself and what keeps one person full doesn't do it for another. I found PB2 to be great in oatmeal and effective at boosting its filling effect (which is already pretty high for me).

If oatmeal and yogurt do not help you feel full (oatmeal does it for me, but yogurt doesn't) then by all means replace them with something else. Your experience may be different from someone else's. For example I was very confused by people recommending adding chicken and reducing or eliminating starches to feel full and it made me hungry an hour later when adding starches to the equation left me full for much longer on the same calories. So just play around with foods and their combination and see what works for you.
  • watercross
    watercross Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me best additive is fat to make me feel full.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Glucomannan.

Yeah. Lately at night, I have been making cream of wheat before bed. I use enough water for 2 servings, but only add one serving of the cereal with 2tsp of glucomannan. It thickens it up like crazy so I'm eating a huge bowl of it, but it's only one 110 cal serving! It fills me right up for about 140 calories when I add milk. I use splenda to sweeten. It works with oatmeal too, but I don't care for the texture. It has no flavor.

I add it to my protein smoothies at lunch to thicken them up too. Works great for no calories. I use it to thicken gravies and some stews or chowders in place of flour as well.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Glucomannan.

Yup - works for me too
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    Glucomannan.

Glucomannan powder gave me reflux. Was ok with capsules, but they were expensive, hence the switch to powder.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it straight with water before a meal first as an appetite suppressor, I just use it as a thickener for stuff.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to oatmeal and yes it keeps me full, but its a very individual thing. My oatmeal is quite fancy, I tend to use anything from 40-60 grams of oats, plus banana, chia (about 5-10 grams), 200-300 mls of liquid, then maybe a nut butter, cocoa, etc.

I also add chia to yogurt. In general I eat it for the nutritious boost and because I find it tasty. You'll have to experiment to see if it actually helps with satiety.

By the way, I don't find protein powder filling at all. Another reason it's sitting in my cupboard collecting dust.