Weight loss question

Options
Hi,
I have a question relating to the food diary. My calorie intake and Fat is always within the Daily Goal. But most of the time the Carbs and the Protein intake is in excess. In terms of weight loss, does this matter i.e as long as i don't exceed my calorie intake I am fine or do i have to also worry about the carbs and the protein intake too?
Please help to clarify this

Thanks
mal

Replies

• lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Between calories, carbs, and proteins, calories are the most important thing to keep right around your goal. Are your percentages set to MFP standards? Because if so, they give you too many carbs and not nearly enough protein in my opinion.

As long as you're feeling good and not having trouble, focus on calories. If you start to feel funky or have issues sticking to your calories, then worry about carbs and proteins.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a question relating to the food diary. My calorie intake and Fat is always within the Daily Goal. But most of the time the Carbs and the Protein intake is in excess. In terms of weight loss, does this matter i.e as long as i don't exceed my calorie intake I am fine or do i have to also worry about the carbs and the protein intake too?
    Please help to clarify this

Thanks
    mal

It depends on your current state. If you have 20+ pounds to lose just focusing on calories in vs calories out is fine. If you have less than 20 pounds to lose or if you want to speed up your fat loss, paying closer attention to your macronutrients will help. If protein and fat go over it is no big deal. An increased fat intake does not promote increased fat storage, however an increased carb intake from refined and/or starchy carbs can promote more fat storage because of the spike in blood sugar and insulin levels that it can cause. Try and get the majority of your carbs from fruits and vegetables.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    Protein is okay, my dietician said you can never get too much protein. Make sure you drink more fluids (then the recommended) so you can flush it through. Carbs on the other hand sometimes might slow your weight loss down. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • Trinity0210
    Options
    helped me, thanks everyone
  • strauernicht
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. Whether the calories come from carbs, fat or protein, they are all metabolized at different rates. Carbs are the fastest and are good post workout. Fat and protein take longer to digest and will help fuel your body throughout the day.

Depending on your goals, you should try to increase your protein while decreasing your carbs. You don't want to go Atkins and completely remove carbs as they help recover your muscle following workouts or exercise.

For those trying to build muscle, I have always heard to try to get 0.75 to 1 gram protein per lb of body weight.

Total daily split should be somewhere around 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat. This is percentage of total calories taken in, so you will have to do some conversion of grams to calories.1 g fat = 9 calories, 1 g protein = 4 calories, 1 g carb = 4 calories.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. Whether the calories come from carbs, fat or protein, they are all metabolized at different rates. Carbs are the fastest and are good post workout. Fat and protein take longer to digest and will help fuel your body throughout the day.

Depending on your goals, you should try to increase your protein while decreasing your carbs. You don't want to go Atkins and completely remove carbs as they help recover your muscle following workouts or exercise.

For those trying to build muscle, I have always heard to try to get 0.75 to 1 gram protein per lb of body weight.

Total daily split should be somewhere around 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat. This is percentage of total calories taken in, so you will have to do some conversion of grams to calories.1 g fat = 9 calories, 1 g protein = 4 calories, 1 g carb = 4 calories.

I actually do 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carb and only ingest grains and starches on workout days and it works fantastic.
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    Protein is okay, my dietician said you can never get too much protein. Make sure you drink more fluids (then the recommended) so you can flush it through. Carbs on the other hand sometimes might slow your weight loss down. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:

I've heard this too...but I've ALSO heard the opposite...that for women especially there IS such a thing as too much protein. I noticed that when I backed off my super protein diet, I actually lost more. So I think that whats really important is that you find what works for YOU...because everybody...and every BODY...is different. It's a trial and error process...but you need to find what works for you.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I always try to stay within my calorie goal, try to beat (meaning go in the red) the numbers MFP has set for protein and fiber, and come in under (in the green) for carbs. Generally, if I stay within my calorie goals everything else falls into place.
  • kelscot30
    kelscot30 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I've heard this too...but I've ALSO heard the opposite...that for women especially there IS such a thing as too much protein. I noticed that when I backed off my super protein diet, I actually lost more. So I think that whats really important is that you find what works for YOU...because everybody...and every BODY...is different. It's a trial and error process...but you need to find what works for you.
    I think this is the best advice, not everything works for everyone ALL of the time. I am a vegetarian therefore struggle with protein intake and cutting out carbs! :(