Anyone only eat chicken?

Almost a year ago I cut out pork and red meat and did great but starting to get bored.. Any advice or anyone doing similar to me? I also need friends I just signed up and love the accountability of a big friends list. Thank you!

Replies

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    I did that over 15 yrs ago. I did a lot of grilled chicken because my family would go to McD's and I hated chicken nuggets. It was easy for me because I hated bacon and ham. I could live without burgers. I would still eat turkey though. Ground turkey works great as a substitute for ground beef and less greasy.
  • Heather_vaughn
    Heather_vaughn Posts: 39 Member
    I was wondering about that.. Is the taste and texture similar.. Like could I use it in a beef stroganoff recipieor is it a whole diff flavor
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,941 Member
    Nah. With no other meats like beef, pork, lamb, deer, bison, etc, that would be a pretty fowl diet. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Heather_vaughn
    lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    No - I don't see the point. Different foods have different nutritional profiles and variety is very important for health. It's not some kind of freakish strangeness that we get bored from eating the same thing over and over.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    I can't say I really remember what ground beef was like other than greasy. Recently I have been adding a little more red meat from grass-fed beef but stick mostly to fowl and fish. In 8th grade I did it for moral reasons. I was going to give up the red meat then chicken eventually. Now I focus on finding better raised animals which labels these days makes it a chore. If at a restaurant I still stick to bird or fish even if the source is probably sh***y. Habit I guess.
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Why would you eat only chicken? Not being sarcastic, genuinely want to know the reasoning behind this goal? Are you trying to become vegetarian eventually?

I have been eating a lot of chicken as far as meat in my diet but I also eat fish, venison, and beef. My favorite ways to prepare chicken are thinly sliced and breaded/marinated, or brined and grilled. Brining chicken makes prevents it from drying out and I really enjoy the taste this way. Also I love chicken salad.

Honestly though, I am super bored of chicken breast, almost to the point that I can't eat it because I've had it too often over the past few months. Have been eating more eggs as a result so I am still technically eating a lot of chicken.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Pre-pregnancy, that's pretty much the only meat you could get me to eat. Only because I don't really like the taste/texture of most meat, so it wasn't really a conscious choice on my part. If that isn't the case for you, I can't imagine how that would be sustainable.

Are you just trying to cut out red meat and pork? Why not try other birds, like turkey or duck (if duck is available)? Do you not like fish? Tuna, salmon, etc may fit into your dietary goals. Even trying vegetarian options (like the veggie burgers, or tofu, etc) may work in your situation. The latter is what I would do when I got tired of chicken. Although, to be honest, because I really liked chicken I rarely got tired of it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    I was wondering about that.. Is the taste and texture similar.. Like could I use it in a beef stroganoff recipieor is it a whole diff flavor

Texture is similar, but ground turkey doesn't really taste like ground beef. However, turkey is not strongly flavored, so it will be more like you're missing the beef flavor than like there's some other weird flavor in your stroganoff. Depending on your reason for avoiding beef (ethical vs. health vs. price vs. something else), you could add some beef stock in place of whatever liquid you're using in your stroganoff or other dishes, or add some demi-glace or Better than Bouillon (sorry for throwing in a brand name, but I'm at a loss for a generic term--it's concentrated stock, basically, but it doesn't seem as concentrated as demi-glace to me), or even a little worcestershire sauce might give you more of the effect you're looking for (some recipes might already have one or the other of these in them, and you might not notice the difference with turkey -- otherwise, add some of these flavor components or boost the ones already in the recipe).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    More generally, you might consider having some fish meals or vegetarian meals occasionally, to give yourself a break from poultry. And obviously, trying new recipes for your poultry dishes could keep things interesting -- maybe check out different national and ethnic cuisines that you don't normally eat: Chinese-style garlic chicken (yu shang) tastes very different from a West African-style stew with peanuts and chicken, which is different again from a Mexican-style chicken tortilla soup, or a Greek-style egg-lemon soup with chicken (it's cold here today, so I guess I have soups and stews on my mind :smiley: )
  • Heather_vaughn
    I love meat!! Love it but after watching a few documentaries I didn't feel ethically right eating red meat and pork and red meat and diary is directly linked to many types of cancers
    But chicken is getting old
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    The clear star that is yesterday stole the goods.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,709 Member
    I agree. Ground turkey does lack flavor. Like Lynn above, I use either a beef broth or bouillon when I cook with ground turkey. I find that if I'm making burritos or tacos, the seasoning itself adds lots of flavor and the bouillon isn't necessary. I'll be following this thread for more ideas to use myself. :-)
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I love meat!! Love it but after watching a few documentaries I didn't feel ethically right eating red meat and pork and red meat and diary is directly linked to many types of cancers
    But chicken is getting old

If this is your reasoning, then that's respectable, however I still don't quite understand why chicken is okay for you. But knowing this, I would echo advice given above to integrate more plan based proteins into your diet. Lentils, tofu, beans. I buy dried beans in bulk, cook them in my slow cooker and then freeze them in 1 or 2 cup portions. They can easily be added to soups and stews or roasted and eaten as a snack. Tofu is incredible fried in a wee bit of sesame oil. Lentils make beautiful soups, "meat"loaves, and salad topper.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    I only eat chicken and turkey!
  • Heather_vaughn
    Awesome idea about the beef broth and I eat chicken still because it is the healthiest of the three and I feel as if a bird hopefully arnt n as much distress as a cow and big as they are smart enough to know what's going on exactly.
  • Heather_vaughn
    Pig not big