what motivates you?

Options
I want to get toned but all i ever want to do is lay in bed so i never end up doing anything.
What motivates you to exercise?

Replies

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You may want to post in the motivation part of the site, as there is a sections specifically for this type of question.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my waist line
    my dog who doesn't care if i'm tired-she still needs to pee
    and mostly, just stubborn. I'll little roll out of bed or inchworm my way out to get started
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know it's lame but I have a tumblr that is just FULL of fitspo (fitness photos and toned girls and healthy foods and quotes) and I look at it every night to remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing and what my end goal is! It definitely works.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    You have to want the results from doing it more than the lack of results from doing nothing. It's personal and different for each of us. For me, progress and feeling great are my motivators.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures from 4 years ago when I was 40ish pounds lighter. My life is very different now but I know I can get there again.
    So every morning,6 days a week, I roll out of bed and put my work out clothes on before I eat breakfast.
    @DizzyMissIzzy, I have a board on Pinterest with the same kinds of things. It does help.
  • kayla98765
    kayla98765 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You may want to post in the motivation part of the site, as there is a sections specifically for this type of question.
    Sorry didn't i see that section
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    kayla98765 wrote: »
    What motivates you to exercise?

Goals.

I'm not going to be able to cycle to the top of Mt Wellington in 2016 if I just lie in bed.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nothing. Motivation is useless.

Motivation? You get divorced. Your dog dies. You move house. Have a new baby. Etc. Etc. Good luck staying gee'd up to eleven with "motivation" when reallife™ stuff happens.

Habit - that's the key. You do something that's a habit consistently, and that's what this requires. Make it like brushing your teeth. You do it because you're an adult and you need to, and should, do it regularly. Physical activity is no different.
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Motivation? You get divorced. Your dog dies. You move house. Have a new baby. Etc. Etc. Good luck staying gee'd up to eleven with "motivation" when reallife™ stuff happens.

Habit - that's the key. You do something that's a habit consistently, and that's what this requires. Make it like brushing your teeth. You do it because you're an adult and you need to, and should, do it regularly. Physical activity is no different.

Yes, but in order to first form the habit you have to motivate yourself to get started. Habits don't just form themselves out of thin air. It takes time, and in order to get into the gym on a daily basis for someone who previously didn't do much of anything, motivation and determination are necessary. How else are you supposed to pick a goal and chase after it?

Habit comes later :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Motivation, will power and resolutions are weak words. So many people fail that these words don’t really mean much. What you need is a commitment. A commitment doesn’t come from “want” it comes from “must" (http://www.older.fitness/1/). When you must have something, you build the structure to get it (habits) and through patience, persistence and progression, you work and achieve your goal(s).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Yes, but in order to first form the habit you have to motivate yourself to get started. Habits don't just form themselves out of thin air. It takes time, and in order to get into the gym on a daily basis for someone who previously didn't do much of anything, motivation and determination are necessary. How else are you supposed to pick a goal and chase after it?

No, you just stop making excuses and take your medicine.

It's different for those of us who have an extant goal that we're training for. Then you have to break down and structure your schedule in such a way that you approach/achieve these goals. That means non-nebulous, realistic goals.

If you have a vague goal like "I want to be in better shape", "I want to lose some weight" or a non-realistic goal "can I lose 20lb for my holiday in 2 weeks" that's going to be either hard to road map, or set a road-map that's impossible to achieve. You can't form habits around vague stuff or stuff you can't actually do.

The OP's goal is too vague to be achievable. "Being more toned" is a meaningless statement. First off we need to realistically survey where they are (say 25% bf). Getting from that point A to a more specific goal (Point B, say 20% bf) can then be mapped out. We can say what exercises/programming/diet are likely to be most optimal (i.e. what they will stick with) given their lifestyle/tastes/etc and how we can go through a set of mini-goals at specific dates to get to point B. Then you just show up and do it.

You need to take the emotion out of it. Nobody wants to hear that and there seems to be a whole industry of pictures of people puking and pushing themselves to the point of death and a bunch of other stuff with emotive statements plastered all over it around the "fitness industry". It's okay to just show up regularly, slowly work towards a goal without turning the emotional knob up to 11, it really is...
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Health issues can be the greatest motivators. I'm a type 2 diabetic and in April I was able to get off Metformin through running and counting calories. My health was the big motivation and now I've made it a habit. But I know I have to maintain what I'm doing to keep my sugar under control so that remains my big motivation.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym is something I actually like doing. But in terms of motivation though, knowing that my current activity level is preventing many preventable diseases.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    Kayla...you are setting your initial goal too high and it is putting you off. Your first goal needs to be get out of bed at a set time EVERY day...then SLOWLY add to those goals. You have your whole life ahead of you...it's plenty of time...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

No, you just stop making excuses and take your medicine.

It's different for those of us who have an extant goal that we're training for. Then you have to break down and structure your schedule in such a way that you approach/achieve these goals. That means non-nebulous, realistic goals.

If you have a vague goal like "I want to be in better shape", "I want to lose some weight" or a non-realistic goal "can I lose 20lb for my holiday in 2 weeks" that's going to be either hard to road map, or set a road-map that's impossible to achieve. You can't form habits around vague stuff or stuff you can't actually do.

The OP's goal is too vague to be achievable. "Being more toned" is a meaningless statement. First off we need to realistically survey where they are (say 25% bf). Getting from that point A to a more specific goal (Point B, say 20% bf) can then be mapped out. We can say what exercises/programming/diet are likely to be most optimal (i.e. what they will stick with) given their lifestyle/tastes/etc and how we can go through a set of mini-goals at specific dates to get to point B. Then you just show up and do it.

You need to take the emotion out of it. Nobody wants to hear that and there seems to be a whole industry of pictures of people puking and pushing themselves to the point of death and a bunch of other stuff with emotive statements plastered all over it around the "fitness industry". It's okay to just show up regularly, slowly work towards a goal without turning the emotional knob up to 11, it really is...

So very much this. Having goals takes the need to choose out of every day. I just show up and trust the work I'm given is going to get me where I want to go. It's become as simple as that.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I initially got motivated when I was young by how good I felt after a workout. I decided that I needed to keep doing "something" and make it a habit. My core exercise had been jogging but over the years I've done a rowing machine, stair master, treadmill, workout DVDs, kickboxing class, martial arts (for ten years), and a stationary bike. I've had some lapses of up to a few months, but all in all, I want to keep in shape and not become a couch potato. I tell myself on my "I don't want to days" to just get started and go as long as I can. Usually I finish the workout once I start though. The key is to get out of bed, ignore the little voice in your head, and start.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    All of my friends are getting struck down with diet related health issues. My best friend of 36 was just diagnosed with diabetes. Another friend of mine had a heart attack at 39 years old. Another friend developed weight related arthritis at 40. That *kitten*'s scaring me damn straight.