Weight loss.

Options
JennB629
JennB629 Posts: 54 Member
edited December 2015 in Getting Started
Just so I have this right..

My BMR is 1,567 today I burned 495 calories working out. That would be 562 calorie deficit? Would that mean I should lose 1lb a week?

I just want to make sure I'm doing things right & im still not understanding the deficit & net calories.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1567, sedentary living +20% = 1880 calories used plus 495 calories exercise = 2375 calories total (TDEE).

If you ate say 1800 then your deficit would be 2375 - 1800 = 575 if everything is accurate (495 cals is quite a lot of exercise)

A deficit of around 500 a day is about a pound a week loss.
  • JennB629
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    BMR = 1567, sedentary living +20% = 1880 calories used plus 495 calories exercise = 2375 calories total (TDEE).

If you ate say 1800 then your deficit would be 2375 - 1800 = 575 if everything is accurate (495 cals is quite a lot of exercise)

So continue what I'm doing?

• JennB629
    Options
    I worked out for 45 minutes on the treadmill to get 495 calories. Is that too much?
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @JennB629 Machines often can be off when calculating a caloric loss, so I'd be cautious. Back when I was using the exercise bike I always underestimated whatever it told me by about 100-150 calories. I don't know if anyone else does that though. I'd rather be doing more and thinking I'm doing less, though, than doing less and think I'm doing more. (often made me splurge on snacks with that mindset)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    JennB629 wrote: »

No, your deficit comes from your TDEE as a base, not BMR. I'm not sure where you're getting your 562 deficit from? But since you mention your BMR, I'm assuming you're trying to use that along with your exercise cals to try to determine your deficit.

Just start with using MFP. Enter your goal (1lb/wk or whatever) and that gives you the number of calories to eat to lose. Eat to your calorie goal, enter exercise and eat 50-75% of those calories to account for inaccuracies. But also make sure you are logging your food accurately.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Use MFP, DON'T try to lose 2lbs a week, and make sure your calorie burns are accurate. Hanging onto a treadmill will reduce resistance and thereby reduce your calorie burn, so try not to hold onto anything and let your arms swing free. If you can't hold on, then the speed is either too fast for you or the incline too high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

No, your deficit comes from your TDEE as a base, not BMR. Just start with using MFP. Enter your goal (1lb/wk or whatever) and that gives your the number of calories to eat to lose. Eat to your calorie goal, enter exercise and eat 50-75% of those calories to account for inaccuracies. But also make sure you are logging your food accurately.

I agree with this. Let MFP do the initial work for you, allow it to set your calorie goal, make sure you are logging your food accurately (use a food scale to weigh all solids, including prepackaged items, and measuring cup for liquids), and eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories. Many exercise estimators are off. Weighting prepackaged food might sound a little over the top, but I have found nearly all product packages understate the amount of product contained within. This will throw off the numbers you are logging, and can wipe out your deficit.

Once you have been doing this for 6-8 weeks, you can look at your results and make adjustments as necessary. Give it the time because water weight, TOM, new workout routines can cause water retention which will throw your numbers out. You want enough time and data to see what the trend is. Keep it simple, be consistent, and be patient.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

You haven't told us what you're doing, so how can anyone possibly answer this?

How many calories are you eating?
    What is your daily activity level, absent intentional exercise? (e.g., desk job, on-your-feet job such as a nurse or stocking shelves, taking care of small children that run you ragged...)
    Where are you getting that 495 burn from (HRT, MFP estimates, cardio machine estimate, etc.)? What are you actually doing that you are estimating as 495 calories?
    It would also help if you told us your stats (weight, height, age, gender) and goal weight.

And where does that "562 calorie deficit" you mention in your OP come from?