Does anyone hate shopping

Options
I love clothes but I HATE shopping. I feel like most clothes flatter skinny girls. I'm not that big but I think how thin would I have have be to fit into a size 8 or 10?! I'm talking UK sizes by the way and i'm a 12 but I often have to get a 14 and it upsets me so much!! For me a 14 is big. In topshop I often need a 14 and in H&M I'm like a 16/18. In some shops a 12 is mostly fine like F&F and river Island. I know that some of these shops cater for fashion and weight conscious teens but still. Even new look has small sizes. It used to have such good ssizes and I'd have easily gotten into a size 12 but now a size 12 there is so tight.

Is it me or the manufacturers? Why make such small clothes? I'm tall and big busted with big hips so it's really hard to find things that go over my bust and hips. Most clothes are skin tight as well and it seems to be the style to make everything super tight. I feel there's not much choice in fashion for women and girls who aren't thin or very overweight.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, what shops do you think are the worst? For me it's definitely H&M and topshop.

Replies

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I loathe shopping. Women's clothes are the worst. Don't wear 'em often, but I remember when I wore them all the time. And shopping for them was a freaking hassle. I would bet that many women feel this way, and the only reason they take long to shop is not because they enjoy it, but because figuring out the sizes is sometimes like figuring out a rubix cube. I could be (US) size 7 at one store, size 4 at another, and size freaking 13 at yet another.

It's the manufacturers. That's one thing I don't miss about women's clothes (among many, but it definitely is one lol). Men's clothes are so much easier to figure out. What you get is what you get. I'm almost always a size 32, and generally only fluctuate to 30 or 33 depending on the material. Medium is always medium, small is always small. I can shop in the men's section and be out in fifteen minutes. Don't even have to try on the clothes.

Even when I am thin, finding women's clothes that fit properly is like trying to figure out the most confusing mind game on the planet. I think it's a complaint I've heard from most women. Most shops in the mall are the worst (statewide, I would say Hot Topic and Aeropostle were always the worst for me).

One theory I've heard is that it's because of the variety of shapes our bodies come in. Which makes sense to a point, but doesn't explain why all men's clothes fit me snugly as long as they're the same size and the way they're supposed to... and I have very, very wide hips.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I hate any kind of shopping, usually. Clothes, grocery, etc. Well, I hate UNPLANNED shopping.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I buy clothes from a catalog/Web site called simplybe. I believe they are based in England. They sell plus sizes and regular sizes and they have groups of clothes that come in wider hip and/or bust sizes. I am very curvy and so is my daugher. We have gotten tons of things from them that fit really well. The quality is very good too.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to worry about the numbers anymore. Especially when you consider that not all clothes are created equal. In Asda, I am a 14/16, in Next I am a 16/18 and when I went wedding dress shopping the size 18 sample dress was not even close fitting!!
    It's not you, it's definitely the manufacturers.
    Use the number as a guideline but don't take them seriously.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Shopping is the worst except for bookstores and sephora (and the internet). I honestly struggle to go clothes-shopping without crying. It's a problem.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I love clothes shopping. I'm a size 12US, I don't look at the number unless I have to. I hold the item up to me and judge from there. I usually wear a Large-Medium in shirts but if I have buy a sweater sometimes I'm all the way up to XXL! Think of all the body shapes in the world, not everything is going to fit everyone- Some women have big stomachs, some bigger arms, some really skinny arms with a pear shape body, anything! I usually have to try on about 30 pairs of jeans until I find a pair that correctly fits, usually they are a size 12, but I can go up to an 18. If you put it on and the automatic thought is "yuck!", hang it back up and move on- Don't dwell on it or it will eat away at you. There's a whole world of clothing out there, not everything or even a large percentage is going to flatter you as an individual. Even very small people have a hard time finding clothing because of their body shape (curvy or slim). What has really helped me is staying out of the Junior/young adult stores...I love the clothing from places like Abercrombie and Forever 21, even H&M, but I had to finally realize that I'm not a teenager or even a 22 year old anymore. Now I try to shop at more "adult" clothing shops, it's more expensive, but the clothing is actually cut to fit by a professional, not an inexperienced college grad the junior/young adult clothing company hired to cut corners.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Unless it's for food...................yes. Oh wait, I'll "window shop" to kill time though if I'm stuck in a mall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I hate shopping, but not for the same reasons as you....everyone in my city must wear the same size as me because my size is usually the only size stores are out of (I'm looking at you Old navy, gap, rw&co...) frickin annoying.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I find this to be a problem with clothes, that're from Asian countries because most Asian women are petite, thin & 1 size everywhere (bust, waist & hips). I'd say that my bust is a size 10, my waist is a 12 & my hips're a 14 in United States sizes & if the clothing, is manufactured here. If it's manufactured in an Asian country, it's made to only fit; the majority of their women & it'll have a US sizing label but the garment's actually 2 US sizes, too small. So what they claim, to be a US size 16, is actually a US size 12. I believe that they also do this, to save on material by making us pay more for a size that we aren't. For instance if you're a US size 16, the Asian countries claim that you're a US size 20; which would place you in a US plus size range & many companies, currently charge extra; for plus sizes. So this is really theft by deception, that these companies; are committing.
  • janjunie
    Options
    I find this to be a problem with clothes, that're from Asian countries because most Asian women are petite, thin & 1 size everywhere (bust, waist & hips). I'd say that my bust is a size 10, my waist is a 12 & my hips're a 14 in United States sizes & if the clothing, is manufactured here. If it's manufactured in an Asian country, it's made to only fit; the majority of their women & it'll have a US sizing label but the garment's actually 2 US sizes, too small. So what they claim, to be a US size 16, is actually a US size 12. I believe that they also do this, to save on material by making us pay more for a size that we aren't. For instance if you're a US size 16, the Asian countries claim that you're a US size 20; which would place you in a US plus size range & many companies, currently charge extra; for plus sizes. So this is really theft by deception, that these companies; are committing.

Lol no that's not how it works. Clothing Companies contract work out to different countries with exact size specifications according to their brand. Each brand has different specifications, and some companies contract out work to many different Asian countries ex Bangledesh, Indonesia, China but they all have to follow the size and measurement specification they are given.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Lol no that's not how it works. Clothing Companies contract work out to different countries with exact size specifications according to their brand. Each brand has different specifications, and some companies contract out work to many different Asian countries ex Bangledesh, Indonesia, China but they all have to follow the size and measurement specification they are given.

I never said that, it was the country; that chose the size. I agree that, it's the company. However though, most brands're international & thus'll use the smallest size range possible, to save on material & that's Asian. So basically the companies are contracting to make clothes, in average Asian sizes & placing US, UK, etc. size labels, on garments that're not the correct size; for other countries.
  • janjunie
    Options

I never said that, it was the country; that chose the size. I agree that, it's the company. However though, most brands're international & thus'll use the smallest size range possible, to save on material & that's Asian. So basically the companies are contracting to make clothes, in average Asian sizes & placing US, UK, etc. size labels, on garments that're not the correct size; for other countries.

trust me in Asia the clothing sizes are much smaller than in the USA. A labelled size m shirt in China or S. Korea for example would be labelled an xs in the USA or Canada. These things are taken into consideration. Do you have a source for what you are saying or is this your opinion?

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes, H&M is one of my main culprits also on the small side. I'm a UK 4-6 there but an 8 every where else.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited December 2015
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

trust me in Asia the clothing sizes are much smaller than in the USA. A labelled size m shirt in China or S. Korea for example would be labelled an xs in the USA or Canada. These things are taken into consideration. Do you have a source for what you are saying or is this your opinion?

The fact that I have to buy a US size 16 ~ 18 pants, when their made in Asian countries & I am a US size 12 ~ 14, according to measurement charts (depending if we're judging by, waist or hip size because my hips're 1 size larger, than my waist) & clothes made in the US, is proof.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Ugh different company obviously.

Gap and H&M's both have their clothes made in Asia, they have different fitting (gap runs larger than H&M) because they are different companies not because their clothes are made in Asia.
  • janjunie
    Options
    Gap actually had a line of American made jeans a while ago and my size was the same size as their Asian imports.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    H&m and gap are the worst esp if you dont have skinny legs. Zara doesnt cater for long arms. Tried to get a coat in their recently. Big boobs too means have to go up sizes if I want the coat to close.

My mission was always to be able to walk back into jane Norman and top shop as they didn't stock size 18/20. Now I am a size 12 not even interested in going back in there.

Next I find ok for sizes, but it's mostly work wear in there
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    In for shopping hate. I've always hated it and as a result I barely have any clothes. I wear the same few things all the time. My husband wishes I would go shopping so I'd quit wearing the same thing. Thankfully I work from home so don't have to have too many work clothes.

Me: My shirt is wearing out. I think I need to go find another shirt.
    DH: Maybe you should get a few shirts.
    Me: That's just crazy talk. (Off to go shopping and run for the door as soon as I find one shirt that I don't loathe.)

Sometimes my SIL buys me clothes (which always fit and look good for some reason) because she loves to shop and is sick of me wearing the same thing all the time. I like it.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Is there a stronger word than hate...that's it. IT brings nothing but frustration and days wasted to me. So I resorted to tshirts and shorts, luckily I live where it's warm most days.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I used to love shopping. I knew what I liked and could find it. I knew what stores carried clothes in my size and style.

Since I've lost weight, I hate shopping. I really want to love it, but I get frustrated. My body has changed so much that the styles I used to wear don't look good on me. I'm too timid to try on different styles because I remember how bad they used to look. My mom or husband (how sad is that?) usually just end up handing me things and instruct me to "just try it on". When they get on, they look good. But I can't pick anything out for myself anymore. The stores I used to shop at don't work anymore. I usually shop for an hour and leave with nothing.

I'm getting a little better at it now that I'm adjusting to this new size. But I'm still losing, so I don't want to sink a lot of money into clothes. Currently, I've been having the best luck at Goodwill. And I'm discovering which brands I like because the second hand clothes I'm buying usually end up being the same 3 brands over and over.