Spin question

Options
Hiya,

I have a new found love of spinning :-) but struggle with 'standing sprints' my question is, would i be better to stay seated and sprint faster or stand and sprint slower?

Hopefully i will keep it up it wont be a problem for long but i would just like to know for now what would be best.

Thanks!

Replies

• skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have been told that standing sprints are actually bad for you...but what I do is increase the resistance to get the strain off my ankles and although that means I go a little slower...I feel like I accomplish more. The great thing about spinning is that resistance and speed is all up to you and where your level is...although there's a room full of people, the only person you race is...yourself,

Still...better to avoid injury...or else you wouldn't be able to spin at all...
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Make sure your resistance is up if standing sprints are too easy for you. Try to lean over a little bit and th ink about how you would ride your bike outside- you probably wouldn't ride it standing straight up. Spin and I have a love/hate relationship also. Spinning actually really tightened up my core and gave me a lot more lower back strength.

Peace, love and Spin!
  • loubabes1
    loubabes1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - my issue is more that i really struggle with standing sprints and feel like I am going really slow - sitting sprints I can do much faster.

Does everyone have this issue or will it get better as I get fitter?
  • midkid123
    midkid123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Standing sprints will work different muscles than sitting. Do it at your own pace till it gets easier. Keep your shoulders down, back flat and lean forward in 2nd position. Resistance should be as if you're climbing a moderate hill. Keep your heels down to reduce chance of ankle injury. have fun!
  • loubabes1
    loubabes1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Standing sprints will work different muscles than sitting. Do it at your own pace till it gets easier. Keep your shoulders down, back flat and lean forward in 2nd position. Resistance should be as if you're climbing a moderate hill. Keep your heels down to reduce chance of ankle injury. have fun!

Great suggestions!!