anyone tried pilates?

Options
rita27ny
rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
Hi all,

I do bikram yoga every other day and also go on the gym mostly cardio and some ab wrk also weight training. I have been wrking out for about 2months and lost only 7lbs :(. I am on the low glycemic diet. Does Pilates have a good cardio wrkout? Also what should I wear and bring for the first class. I have never done pilates. I'm aiming for a 6 pack.

Replies

• deenice99
    deenice99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi there,
    I tried pilates after a lady at work recommended them but I just thought they are glorified warm up and cool down routines. But then again with classes they also very much depend on your instructor and if the instructor is uninspiring then like me you wont go back. I have however bought a pilates DVD which is better than the class but I kinda prefer running, spinning, legs-bums-tums classes etc. Try the class you might actually like. You can wear leggings or youre regular gym wear and you need socks (preferably a good pair) as you do pilates without shoes.
    Hope this helps and good luck.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi dee,

Thanks for your information. I will try the class and let everyone know. Today im going to my bikram class
  • swuz32
    swuz32 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a Pilates instructor. Pilates is primarily about strengthening muscles and improving your body's connection between muscles and muscle groups. That being said, it can definitely make you sweat once you learn the exercises and work through them rapidly! The focus is always on form, on control, rather than "just getting through it". I do teach one class - cardio jumpboard - on a piece of equipment called the reformer, that is a cardio interval class, alternating core and strengthening moves with intervals of cardio, which has the toughest participant heaving, so cardio is definitely possible, but it is not the primary focus of most Pilates classes.

I hope this helps. I definitely recommend Pilates for strengthening, particularly core strengthening, and a six-pack is certainly attainable with Pilates!